NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card Review @ [H]

I don't get this release from Nvidia. Same performance as the 290x but $200 more. Why would you want to buy one? But on the flip side, the Ti also makes the Titan pretty irrelevant. Better performance for $300 less!

Almost seems like Nvidia got caught with their pants down and are scurrying around trying to get competitive cards out or something.

Wow...was expecting much more for the price. Goes to show that you can only get so much out of this current generation on 28nm...NV really doesn't have an answer to the 290 series if AMD tweaks their new release again in a few months. Drivers are only going to get more mature on the AMD cards.

performance crown by any means, NVIDIA motto! fortunately for them it works, there are many uneducated people on this matter who buys that marketing crap.

Great card but just priced too high. $100 less and it would sway alot of people but with Mantle and such around the corner red team is the better bet. I wonder if the Titans will get a drastic price drop? I would still love some juicy 6GB VRAM.

figure that a better heat sink on the 290x is going to run you 100 bucks
so the card really is only 50 bucks more

Interesting, but disappointing from Nvidia. I think I'd rather get a 290X and spend the extra cash saved on a waterblock.

This is almost making the R290 like the best budget card for performance here for sure...

I don't get this release from Nvidia. Same performance as the 290x but $200 more. Why would you want to buy one? But on the flip side, the Ti also makes the Titan pretty irrelevant. Better performance for $300 less!

Almost seems like Nvidia got caught with their pants down and are scurrying around trying to get competitive cards out or something.

Bingo! They really want to just push something out last minute and they've been holding these reserves until AMD pumped out their next big thing. Essentially without AMD we probably wouldn't have seen the 780Ti for another 1-2 months then *BAM* release Maxwell and piss everyone off who got the 780Ti.

figure that a better heat sink on the 290x is going to run you 100 bucks
so the card really is only 50 bucks more

If you need one, honestly in a case like mine where everything is oriented vertically, a blower style reference is the way to go. Or you can just wait for non-reference cooling and pay the same MSRP. Win/Win

Bingo! They really want to just push something out last minute and they've been holding these reserves until AMD pumped out their next big thing. Essentially without AMD we probably wouldn't have seen the 780Ti for another 1-2 months then *BAM* release Maxwell and piss everyone off who got the 780Ti.

this is ALWAYS the case with hardware
nothing new here

Yeah, for that price this is definitely a letdown. I had no plans to swap my 780 for one of these as it does everything I need it to do, but for that much money I was hoping the 12GB rumors were true. I might check out a non-ref 290 when they come around but for now I'm satisfied with my 780 for $500.

Great review as always, tell it like it is.

Awesome review guys. Thank you. I looked at the numbers and thought that I may pick up a 780Ti or 290x, then I saw the new MSRP of the 780... Man this is *NOT* an easy decision. I'm glad things are heating up again between the two. That only means good stuff for us.

Clearly Nvidia is counting on brand loyalty to gouge their customers for every last penny. Its really a shame because they have great cards.

Anand has a lot more power charts and noise levels as well.

Crysis 3 290x and 780ti are almost identical power usage ~3W
Furmark 290x uses 24W more (GPU temp was also 88C according to them as well)

Noise levels was rather interesting Crysis 3 , 780ti about 1.5dB quieter
Furmark it was 1 dB quieter

Wonder if msi and galaxy plan on releasing their lightning and hof variants. Evga has already confirmed the classy is on the way.

The one thing is that I still have several PhysX enhanced games that I've grown to love. Are there any AMD PhysX hacks anymore? It's not worth an additional $100...but it's still something I'd wish I had.

this is ALWAYS the case with hardware
nothing new here

Except Nvidia had almost no competition this entire year. They've held the consumer by the balls for the last 8 months.

Wow, great review and what a letdown! Looks like my Xmas list will have a shiny, new, non-reference 290x on it...if they're available.

For Kyle or the [H] Web guru: I enjoy reading the morning reviews on my phone during my commute, but I've noticed that the [H] award graphic on several articles has been giving me a blank no-image box with the alt-text. All the other pictures load just fine, but not that one. Is it me?

The 780ti is a competitive card with a non-competitive price tag. I realize they had no competition for 8 months, but their pricing doesn't reflect today's market. $599 would have been the perfect price tag (imo) for the better noise/thermals.

Excellent review as usual! Pretty disappointing for the price point. Considering 290's can already be found in the $380 range, it's hard to make a case for buying a 290x/780/780ti. Let the price wars commence!

when did price matter on this site?
this isnt softOCP

Wow, great review and what a letdown! Looks like my Xmas list will have a shiny, new, non-reference 290x on it...if they're available.

For Kyle or the [H] Web guru: I enjoy reading the morning reviews on my phone during my commute, but I've noticed that the [H] award graphic on several articles has been giving me a blank no-image box with the alt-text. All the other pictures load just fine, but not that one. Is it me?

Not just you. I was not aware of this, we are getting it fixed ASAP. Sorry about that.

I don't think the price is high , you get a faster card , less noise , heat and power .. 3 games bundle and all the NVIDIA exclusive stuff " GeForce Experience, ShadowPlay and G-Sync" .

Glad it got a silver award and not gold. Seriously I'm sure Nvidia could have priced it cheaper to be competitive and really steal the show.

AMD proved it can be done just by bringing out some new competition, and Nvidia drops their pants on the older cards, in which they could have done months ago instead of keeping it a premium. I realise it's a business and all, but really Nividia sometimes remind me of an oil company. Sure we could lower the price and still make money....but why would we? They figure $700 to $1000 to make the norm (yeah yeah, they have been doing this for years) and customers will eventually just give in a buy it. Just like gas prices, people bitch of the cost, they get used to it and pay anyway as its the norm. Then it drops a few cents or in the double cents and people think its a damn good bargain and eat it up. Meanwhile a year ago, it was a buck cheaper per gallon (or 30 cents a litre for me a Canadian). Just my drunk and stooper two cents while I smoke crack :D Mayor Rob Ford for 2014!!! LOL

Besides that, I'm sure all the other reviews I see will say its a great deal to buy, and it beats R9 290X (non X) because of heat, noise, and power consumption. Well if that's all it has for to pick on the AMD card, problem solved with waterblock and 290 combined which is still cheaper than the Ti for near performance after being able to o/c some more with stable clocks under the 95C threshold.

I don't think the price is high , you get a faster card , less noise , heat and power .. 3 games bundle and all the NVIDIA exclusive stuff " GeForce Experience, ShadowPlay and G-Sync" .

I can get two 770s with six games, all the features you mentioned, and still beat this card for less money.

when did price matter on this site?
this isnt softOCP

When the economy is in the shitter and no one has money to pay the bills or extras, I think price is a consideration for the foreseeable future.

As for the Ironic part about people complaining about the heat from the 290X.

At least I can heat my home for the winter on the cheap :D

Last edited:
Very interesting situation. Part of me wants to grab a 290, to upgrade from my 660ti, but I've been burnt one too many times by team red drivers. Anyone have anything to say about the current driver situation between the 7 series and 290 series? Any issues?

The GPU looks like a good one, the stock heatsink is excellent, but and it's a really big but.......(no jokes, I'm not going there :eek::eek:).......

the price is too high......this card should have sold for $599 tops. HoHoHo.:D

great review.

The overclocking review linus released is insane: nearly 1300mhz on core WITH REFERENCE COOLER! :eek:

I agree.

Now my next cards are either two R9 290s or two used Titans under $550.

I wouldn't count on Titans dropping in price.

The thing about Titan is that it was never really sold as just a gaming device. The justification for it's price is that it offers a lot of features that normally punt you into Quadro and Telsa prices which make Titan look cheap. The 780 and 780ti do not offer these.

Titan was never worth the cash from an dollars to gaming performance standpoint. However it's still a steal despite the existence of the 780ti if you plan on using it for things other than gaming. Or if you need those features and want to game as well.

The people driving the price of that product are not gamers. It's the prosumer crowd. To them the Titan isn't an expensive gaming card, it's a dirt fucking cheap Tesla that would still be a good value at double it's price that just happens to be capable when it comes to gaming as well. The 780ti has no impact on the value of a Titan to these people.

I think Nvidia is pricing it this way because it is a better card. The noise levels on the 290x are an annoyance and they ran the 290x in Uber mode in this review which means LOUD. And the heat and power draw are a little scary for my tastes.

I would like to hear a side by side comparison of the noise levels with the same exact setup. And for those of you who are saying that power, temp, and noise mean nothing, your fanboyism is getting in the way of your objectivity. I once had a loud PC and I'll never go back to it.

Edit: I would like to see the price on this card lower. Nvidia may have had to bin the chips to ship these and they may not have the quantity to supply that many if they were priced at $550.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I finally jumped on the MSI GTX 780 Lightning deal with the game bundle which should tide me over until the really nice stuff comes out late next year. This will also allow me to keep my almost silent case config going. :)

Back