Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2

Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
24
This thing (GX2) is the hottest piece in my antec 900, How the heck can I get my card to run cooler? I need to mod the case so the cables are out of the way running in the side pannel as most already have. Will this make a little difference or a big cooling gain? I want to install the internal fan that goes in front of the HD's but the card is so big I'm gonna need to do some modding and dremmel time to my box. Other than that my rig runs great with what I've got and have not overclocked anything yet, beacause it plays anything I throw at it with no issues. My motherboard runs hot at 32C when I use asus probe II it sounds an alarm and the MB temp box is red. Any ideas or help with anything I might be able to do to get the temps down would be greatly appreciated. I am crafty, but you out there may have the right answer for me to apply my skills toward.

Sorry for the book,tks 4 your time.

:confused:
 
my suggestions would be to do some extreme cable management in the lower part of your case, at least so that there are no wires blocking airlflow to and from the video card. second, probably upgrade case fans if you're still using stock 900 fans. third, you can try removing the cover off the gx2 and having just the bare pcb. I have taken a few apart several times, and as far as i remember, the card will stay together without the metal cover as long as the dvi bracket is attached and the little piece between the cards is screwed in. besides that...watercooling? or just ditch the thing and get a new card, if at all possible. I ditched my GX2/dual gpu cards and never looked back.
 
Yeah those dual PCB cards run pretty toasty. Is it hot enough to be an issue though? If your mobo runs at 32C I wouldn't say that's exactly a problem... It's about that temperature half the year outside where I live....

What temps do you see out of your card? You could always try to zip tie a fan in there somehow.
 
Mine idles between 50c and 60c and is usually only 10c higher when under load (I have the fan cranked to 100%).

What temps are you getting?
 
Get rid of the 9800GX2 and get a GTX 285 instead. Same performance, smoother gameplay, no SLI issues, much cooler.
 
The card is designed to run at a certain temp. You may feel it's high but they are not going to release a card that runs to hot and will fail.
 
what software can i use to find the temps of my graphics card and how much would i get if i sold it on ebay to get a similar card such as the GTX 285 stated above. I greatly appreciate all of the answers and advice thus far and hope to get a ton more. thank you forum members
 
what software can i use to find the temps of my graphics card and how much would i get if i sold it on ebay to get a similar card such as the GTX 285 stated above. I greatly appreciate all of the answers and advice thus far and hope to get a ton more. thank you forum members

Wow...you don't have to thank us that much :D. If you sell it on ebay, I think you'll get around $200 for it.
 
That is pretty normal for GX2 cards...I have a 7900 GX2, and it runs low 50c when Idle, goes to a maximum of 63-64c when on load(with fan 100%)...So don't be worried about it...It's fine and normal for it to hit 60c+.
 
Back
Top