NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX Power Consumption-Whole System

Thank goodness. We no longer have to hear about the rumored massive increase of wattage anymore.

Rembrandt said:
Thank goodness. We no longer have to hear about the rumored massive increase of wattage anymore.

Maybe its not considered a "massive increase" but nonetheless an increase.
An increase which may or may not require a PSU upgrade.

I will be upgrading my PSU for my 8800GTX and I dont think I will be alone.
But to each his own. :D

That new Conroe cpu you bought that uses 40% less power, is now cancelled out by your 8800GTX :cool:

i wonder what the real requirements will be for sli/x-fire.

So according to that, the X1950XTX requires 25.67A on the 12v rail. So that means the 8800GTX requires only 26.57A. Thats pretty good news considering the official requirements for the X1950XTX is 30A on the 12v rail combined.

I'm gettin ready for it, now to figure out how to hook up the PCI-E power cables to this thing:

NuclearReactor.jpg

AdamNesvick said:
I'm gettin ready for it, now to figure out how to hook up the PCI-E power cables to this thing:

*picture*

You're going to hook it up to a cooling tower? :D

j/k.. I know the reactor is in the left corner. But I don't see the turbine facilities

Endurancevm said:
So according to that, the X1950XTX requires 25.67A on the 12v rail. So that means the 8800GTX requires only 26.57A. Thats pretty good news considering the official requirements for the X1950XTX is 30A on the 12v rail combined.

Did you even read the thread title? The numbers are for the WHOLE SYSTEM! The 8800gtx uses ~200w under load, which is 16.6amps on 12v.

J-Mag said:
Did you even read the thread title? The numbers are for the WHOLE SYSTEM! The 8800gtx uses ~200w under load, which is 16.6amps on 12v.

Yeah, I did. And guess what? the 30A requirement is for the whole system too! What a coincidence?

J-Mag said:
Actually much less. Around 140-150W it seems. If the X1900XTX draws say 120W it's only about 25W more.

Endurancevm those requirements aren't requirement.s They are pretty worthless.

Spectre said:
Radeon X1950 XTX Idle 184 watts Load 308 watts
GeForce 8800GTX Idle 229 watts Load 321 watts

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

A 13w delta isn't to massive.

STILL JESUS FRACKING CHRIST! why cant gfx chip makers make more efficient designs? That do not consume as much power as a whole pc would ... 5 years ago. Also are ati and nv in some sort of battle for the bigest gfx card, the way things are looking the voodoo5 6000 will not be the bigest gfx card ever.

maxius said:
STILL JESUS FRACKING CHRIST! why cant gfx chip makers make more efficient designs?

There were some stories floating around that these chips would beginning of the end and they wer going to be focusing more on lower power chips in the future.

Got an email from PCP&C, they said that 2 8800GTX in SLI would require the 1KW model they sell with 4 PCI-e connectors.
Retail $549. Wow.
I read that the 1st generation of these cards had excessive power thirst, but as things move along the requirements of the next generation will probably go down.
I mean, holy crap......I just bought an 850W PSU 2 months ago.....and now it aint enough. :mad:

magoo said:
Got an email from PCP&C, they said that 2 8800GTX in SLI would require the 1KW model they sell with 4 PCI-e connectors.
Retail $549. Wow.
I read that the 1st generation of these cards had excessive power thirst, but as things move along the requirements of the next generation will probably go down.
I mean, holy crap......I just bought an 850W PSU 2 months ago.....and now it aint enough. :mad:

Well it seems PC Power and Cooling may be incorrect again. ;)

those figures are incorrect, people are forgetting that G80 is DX10 class hardware hence running anything other than DX10 software will not result in sufficient utilization of G80. The only way to get realistic power figures is when your running all of its features i.e. SM 4, 128-bit HDR, AA, AF, transparency AA etc... all in DX10 mode. Watch those figures go up when DX10 software appears, 400-450W Iam betting.

Power requirements are going up (and will continue to do so) and people need to wake up to this fact, for the PCI-E spec to make allocation for 225W/300W graphic cards should be proof enough. Need I mention static power dissipation in smaller manufacting processes is getting bigger than ever.

Thank you AdamNesvick for the tip. I just want to know what web site is offering this and do they offer financing for it. I can figure out how to make the connection.

magoo said:
Retail $549. Wow.

well duh. email me ill tell you anything to get you to buy a $1000 product from me.

magoo said:
How so????

Well about this part:
Retail $549. Wow.
I mean, holy crap......I just bought an 850W PSU 2 months ago.....and now it aint enough.

If one 8800GTX with:
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI based motherboard
2x1GB PC2-6400
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
Western Digital Raptor 150

Uses as a system 321watts at full pull adding a second 8800GTX would not "require" a 1kw PC Power and Cooling PSU.

Endurancevm said:

Thats funny cause ATI tool is showing i'm using 32.7 amps at full load with my X1900XTX (thats oc'd of course)........

Chris Lakies said:
Thats funny cause ATI tool is showing i'm using 32.7 amps at full load with my X1900XTX (thats oc'd of course)........

That would indeed be interesting sicne your PSU in your sig has a combined 12v of 35 amps ;)

Chris Lakies said:
Could that be at a different voltage? I don't imagine ATI is using that at 12V - maybe 32.7A at 3.3V? That'd be 107W, or about 9A@12V. So maybe it's accurate, but missing info?

Edit: see this. A reasonable core voltage is probably 1.5V; this is only ~4A@12V!

Back