NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra & SLI @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra & SLI - NVIDIA is bringing the name “Ultra” back with today’s launch of the GeForce 8800 Ultra. This new video card pushes the GeForce 8’s performance to new heights, but at $829 is it worth it? We cover single card and SLI performance in Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Unless you are timid about or do not practice the art of overclocking at all and want the “fastest” GPU (by a few percent), there is no reason to buy a GeForce 8800 Ultra right now. You can save a couple of hundred dollars and get a cheaper factory overclocked GeForce 8800 GTX which will perform within a few miniscule percent of the GeForce 8800 Ultra.

CTRL-F5 if you are coming up with a blank page. Clear that browser cache. We have recently changes some of our coding on our pages.

Please DIGG to Share! Thanks for the support.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Kind of a bummer, I was expecting a lot more.

....especially for the high price.

Nearly $830 for ONE gaming card?! What the hell are they smoking? It's only an overclocked GTX.

I am curious....is there a reason why you guys didn't use your usual full onslaught of benchmarks to test this card. I guess time limitations or something like that but I am just curious because I do love those FSX benchmarks....

They need to pay for all the man hours used to bin those chips :p

Hmm, not getting the article, just the ads on an empty page.

Could you give me an NSLookup to hardocp.com? I want to make sure your DNS is up to date. Also, you might try using "ipconfig/flushdns" to get rid of the cached DNS entries. We changed some servers and IPs around last month. Mail me with your results at [email protected]. Thanks.

such a disappointment, i was hoping for good performance and a price slightly higher than the gtx which would in turn drop the prices on the gts.....no such luck.......good read though

I am curious....is there a reason why you guys didn't use your usual full onslaught of benchmarks to test this card. I guess time limitations or something like that but I am just curious because I do love those FSX benchmarks....

You didnt read the article did you......it said that they didnt test any other games because the gtx can handle all the other games at max res and details with no problem so why throw a supposed bigger and faster card at them to only show higher frame rates......

Wow this is really disappointing, what was Nvidia thinking?

I really hope R600 doesn't let us down.

Wait till the canned benchmark sites start proclaiming, "8800 Ultra - Fastest Card on Planet" and "Ultra Takes the Performance Crown." Reporting such as this is exactly why NVIDIA leverages things like this.....they can.

And our article has already been buried on Digg or they simply will not let our articles be searched on any more. Sad.

blank page for me. I get all the boarders, and the ad, but no article at all.

That is rather kind of sad, but I guess goes along with the "Ultra" tag of NVIDIA. It's just a shame that there really isn't all THAT much performance gain. Factory overclocked cards are only like at the most $50 more, MAYBE $100 on some of the GTX's... but $300? I don't care how heavily overclocked it is.... that sucks.

Good review as always.

I was right and wrong at the same time. MSRP is not $999, but it's not $700 either.
It's disapointing that this is nothing more than an overclocked 8800 GTX. I was expecting more. The Ultra is not worth it at all, especially for such a high price.

I am getting a blank article too. Everything around the article is fine, just no text/pictures.

Paul

I am getting a blank article too. Everything around the article is fine, just no text/pictures.

Paul

Hit refresh. It happened to me too, but as soon as I refreshed the page, everything was there.

Great review as usual. Looks like my EVGA step-up will just expire on this generation. No way I am paying an extra $300 or more for that small of performance gains.

Main page link does not work, even after a refresh.
Link from Video Card page works.
???

Paul

I like this quote from Anandtechs review:

"We try to point out the downsides of the best products out there, as well as the niche uses for which otherwise disappointing hardware might shine. So often our job is about balance and temperance.

But not this time: The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra is an utter waste of money."

lol, I mean $50-75 difference, sure? but $200?!

I believe its less expensive to get a peltier cooling system and stick it on a GTX then OCing to the moon....

This card is an odd duck for sure. One thing it does for me though is reinforce the strengths of the GTX. Maybe that's the psychological judo that the PR guys are actually aiming for--to remind everyone just how ridiculously good the GTX is, and make it look like more of a bargain at the current prices. Anyone who was "waiting for the refresh" will now be strongly motivated to go out and buy a GTX.

Of course, if ATi looks at this card and says, "Hey, we can do better than that!" and launches the 2900XTX, then nVidia might whip out an 8900 series on them that they have waiting under tight wraps, hoo boy! Pair it with the above speculation, and nVidia clears out stock of 8800's just before launching 8900's. Don't know if any of that will prove true, but it would be pretty slick.

Is *this* all they can come up with to trump the R600 launch? Kyle mentioned earlier this week that R600 was nothing to get very excited about, but this is just weak sauce.

This card is an odd duck for sure. One thing it does for me though is reinforce the strengths of the GTX. Maybe that's the psychological judo that the PR guys are actually aiming for--to remind everyone just how ridiculously good the GTX is, and make it look like more of a bargain at the current prices. Anyone who was "waiting for the refresh" will now be strongly motivated to go out and buy a GTX.

Of course, if ATi looks at this card and says, "Hey, we can do better than that!" and launches the 2900XTX, then nVidia might whip out an 8900 series on them that they have waiting under tight wraps, hoo boy! Pair it with the above speculation, and nVidia clears out stock of 8800's just before launching 8900's. Don't know if any of that will prove true, but it would be pretty slick.[/QUOTE

Indeed it would

This sort of reminds me of that 7800GTX 512 card that never appeared (I think that was the card??) or was very limited release.

They sure look cool though. But wow, 800 bucks, I thought the price tag of my 8800s was steep.

Maybe this will drop the price of the 8800s somewhat?????

Great article as always.:D

It looks sharp, at least. I hope the R600 blows it away. AMD needs to start climbing out of its hole.

Is *this* all they can come up with to trump the R600 launch? Kyle mentioned earlier this week that R600 was nothing to get very excited about, but this is just weak sauce.

I think that NVIDIA wasn't expecting that AMD/ATI's R600 XTX would be so powerless (considering the already released and uncofirmed benchmarks) against their 6 month old 8800 GTX. Since they had the Ultra ready, they might aswell release it. I just don't understand the price. It's not what it was rumored to be ($999), but it's damn close. It's the price for no competition I guess...

All the more reason why I want AMD to really go somewhere with the R600 and revision series. I hope Nvidia rots in their greed.

I smell another 7800GTX/512 or X800XTPE. One of those cards that only exists on paper. :p

I have talked to AIC builders this morning and there will actually be a fair number of these cards on the market. NVIDIA is saying, "10s of 1000s" worldwide.

It's not what it was rumored to be ($999), but it's damn close. It's the price for no competition I guess...

It is probable that most board partners release only OC version of this card, so dont be too suprised when a 999$ 8800ultra XXX Jenna Jameson Edition becomes reality :D

Edit:

Must add the lames SLI slogan after that Jenna thing. "They are so good, you might even buy a pair" :p

I wish I can find these... as just about no one will have them. I wouldn't mind a pair of Ultras :)

It is probable that most board partners release only OC version of this card, so dont be too suprised when a 999$ 8800ultra XXX Jenna Jameson Edition becomes reality :D

Edit:

Must add the lames SLI slogan after that Jenna thing. "They are so good, you might even buy a pair" :p

I never doubted it could reach that price. What I doubted was the initial rumor that launch price would be $999. It's not it, but it's still too damn high. Without competition, NVIDIA was already milking the cow, but now they seem to want even more milk...

Jeez... this is what's wrong with computers. I could fix up most of my car's problems for the price of one silly video card.

Looks like they came up with the same conclusion I guessed at yesterday. There's almost nothing that even makes the 8800GTX work hard.
They only mentioned 2 games because they're the only ones...and even they're not much if you're running at a lower res (like 1680X1050 for me).
Oh well...if you want the best thing out there, this is the part for you. Otherwise, it seems to have been a little premature.

For that price... why not spend a couple hundred more and get a nvidia quadro fx?

Back