Nvidia GeForce 310.90 Driver Update Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
NVIDIA quietly rolled out a new update to its GeForce driver on Saturday to fix a recently discovered security vulnerability allowing access to low-level system accounts. The 310.90 driver update also improves performance in games and applications up to 26% and improves antialiasing effects.

It is highly recommended to install the NVIDIA GeForce driver update as quickly as possible on vulnerable systems to protect them from attacks and the exploit.

This driver has worked VERY well for me in a number of games. Unfortunately, there is a bug that many are experiencing (myself included) where the driver doesn't load on cold boot. Good times.

Is NVIDIA completely inept at driver programming or something?

Their GNU/Linux graphics drivers had a similar vulnerability a few months ago which is quite the accomplishment considering that the bulk of the GNU/Linux graphics stack runs in user mode.

How would you guys suggest pushing this driver update out in a domain? If there is a big security hole I would like to get this patched for about 250 computers.

Is NVIDIA completely inept at driver programming or something?

Their GNU/Linux graphics drivers had a similar vulnerability a few months ago which is quite the accomplishment considering that the bulk of the GNU/Linux graphics stack runs in user mode.

Doesn't nvidia's "driver" actually consist of a cut&paste of binary code into a specific kernal? Best guess is that they used the same code and that the only surprise is that the calls map to the linux (calling a linux kernal modified with non-distributable code "GNU/Linux" is a stretch).

Then again, Linus had words for NVIDIA (actually had more to do with their mobile chips).

How would you guys suggest pushing this driver update out in a domain? If there is a big security hole I would like to get this patched for about 250 computers.

:O not sure which is worst, the security hole, or patching that and having to support a bunch if users through a cold boot bug.

I noticed the cold boot bug when I booted up this morning - rebooted and it works fine now.....so it appears the workaround would be - Boot up, Reboot.

I installed 310.90 and haven't had any cold boot issues.

I am, however, having a frustrating Java crash when in Minecraft. It's been happening over several Java versions (currently using Java 7 update 10, 64-bit Windows) and several Nvidia drivers (including 310.70 and 310.90 and past versions).

Java will cause my Nvidia display driver to crash, go full black screen, and then reappear with a Windows system tray message that the Nvidia driver "stopped responding and was recovered," then my Java app has to be force closed.

If it doesn't crash the display driver, it just crashes the Java app and spits out an error log that has an access restriction error in the Java native code and always is a conflict with a .dll from the Nvidia driver.

The frustrating thing is that it's intermittent. For 2-3 hours I won't have any trouble, and then I'll crash 6 times in 10 minutes, then I'll go back to having no trouble. NO other games give me this issue, so I'm left to conclude that it's a problem with Java.

Back