Nvidia Forceware - Scaling Issue

anonuser

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Westinghouse 37" and 8800GTX and I haven't updated my drivers for four months.

Now that Bioshock (and the new 163.44 drivers) are out I tried to update and found that they weren't scaling correctly. My windows desktop is underscanned and has a black border around it.

I went to the flat panel scaling settings and they are default on "Use my display's built in scaling" which worked fine with the older drivers, but the new drivers give me the black border.

Changing this setting won't save in either the old or new drivers... but the older drivers didn't underscan the display like the new ones.

Has this been a problem with all the driver releases in the past four months? I had to revert back to my previous drivers to fix the problem. Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Anyone else have any issues? After looking further than hardocp I've found a lot of people talking about it, but no solutions.

I'm having this issue in both XP and Vista Ultimate 64...

it's pissing me off...

Why doesn't westinghouse just create a driver for this monitor to resolve the issue.

Is it just for this monitor? I have read of other people having the same problems on other monitors.

It's most HDTVs. They use odd, out of spec frequencies and the companies producing them rarely if ever release drivers for use with PCs for the simple reason that, high resolution or not it's a TV first and foremost. The minuscule portion of the market driven by people buying these to connect to their PCs, either as a primary or secondary display, just don't have the push necessary to make manufacturers consider spending the time and money necessary to write drivers.

It's most HDTVs. They use odd, out of spec frequencies and the companies producing them rarely if ever release drivers for use with PCs for the simple reason that, high resolution or not it's a TV first and foremost. The minuscule portion of the market driven by people buying these to connect to their PCs, either as a primary or secondary display, just don't have the push necessary to make manufacturers consider spending the time and money necessary to write drivers.

I'm using the forceware release from 4 months ago and it worked fine. Theres no drivers to write, the problem is that the new nvidia control panel program. It won't save your settings so you can't change scaling.

I know for a fact it isnt just HDTVs, some people are having trouble on regular monitors.

Also, just a FYI, the Westinghouse is considered a monitor. It doesn't have a TV tuner.

And since you seem a little angry let me show you that you are wrong about the "miniscule portion of the market."

Outstanding bug from the beta release notes:

"GeForce 8800 GTX: Desktop text is blurry on the Westinghouse
LVM37W3 display at native 1920x1080 resolution. [328301]"

They obviously care about the segment... and about people using this specific monitor more than you think. There are MANY enthusiasts in the same situation.

When I said they didn't care I was referring to Westinghouse and other HDTV/monitor manufacturers, not nVidia.

Ah, OK... misunderstood.

Either way... I really hope they fix the issues I can't upgrade from any drivers post April 2007.

Kinda stuck with the most recent set of drivers... playing bioshock and call of juarez... damn dx10... it actually has upped the ante (COJ only, though Bioshock plays faster in Vista... dunno why...)

anyone find anything new on this craptastic issue?

have to stick with 152's to not screw my display. Sux me Nvidia

If you're trying to stretch the image to take up the whole screen, use the NVIDIA scaling option (not the fixed aspect ratio).

Are you saying you cant change the option and have it stick?

If the option of nVidia Scaling (forced aspect ratio) worked, then we wouldn't be complaining...

nVidia scaling is as useless as the other options because we don't want it to fit the screen, we want the proper aspect ratio.

posted in the westinghouse thread in the display sub-forum:

Here are my emails with Nvidia support:

First:
I understand that you have GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card with the driver 163.44 and Windows Vista operating system. You have connected a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 HD monitor to the graphics card. You are having difficulty in resizing the Desktop since updating the graphics card driver to the driver version 163.44. You did not have any difficulty with the earlier driver.

We are sorry this is a known issue and our Development team is working on this. If a solution is found, it shall be fixed in future release drivers.

At this time we do not yet have a firm release date for the updated driver.

Second:
I am sorry for the confusion.

The issue with the feature for resizing the desktop is a known issue with all the Vista drivers. Our development team is working on this and as informed earlier, if a solution is found shall be fixed in the future release drivers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If ANYONE reading this thread has an 8000 series card with a LVM-37W3 and the newest drivers PLEASE respond. I am seriously considering selling this monitor to a friend (at a $400 loss) and buying the new 42" model. Main problem is that at 3ft away I'm not sure if the 42" will just be too big for PC use.

If the option of nVidia Scaling (forced aspect ratio) worked, then we wouldn't be complaining...

nVidia scaling is as useless as the other options because we don't want it to fit the screen, we want the proper aspect ratio.

There is an option for the NVIDIA scaling WITH proper aspect ratio in 163.44... what is the problem?

There is an option for the NVIDIA scaling WITH proper aspect ratio in 163.44... what is the problem?

Have you tried using it? It doesn't save your selection and in turn doesn't work. This is on Vista 32-bit w/163.44

Have you tried using it? It doesn't save your selection and in turn doesn't work. This is on Vista 32-bit w/163.44

If you were hardcore you'd use a registry diff tool and set the registry key yourself, since it's broken. :)

My bad, I didn't realize this was in regards to an HDTV issue.. thought it was a normal computer monitor.

Well technically it is a normal computer monitor. It is referred to by Westinghouse as a "monitor" also. The only difference is the fact that it runs in 1920x1080

It's a 37" 1920x1080 monitor

Well technically it is a normal computer monitor. It is referred to by Westinghouse as a "monitor" also. The only difference is the fact that it runs in 1920x1080

It's a 37" 1920x1080 monitor

So basically you're saying the Flat panel scaling option is broken in Vista? I've used it myself and it worked fine..

I had this issue as well. It fixed rather easily for me, try this: Go to nvidia (advanced) control panel. Next under display, go to 'change flat panel scaling' and make sure use my display's built in scaling is selected. Next go to resize HDTV desktop and click the bullet to resize desktop then click resize desktop button. Soon a big blue screen with green arrow at the corners will pop up. Don't resize anything, my display just jumped to the 1:1 pixel ratio and was perfect, cancel out and all should be fine.

I tested this with 2 different OS installations with 2 sets of hardware and it worked. My monitor is the Westy 37" lvm3.

Scaling/fixed aspect ratio is broken with all recent drivers. WTF is up with Nvidia? I sword all those Nvidia fans started bashing ATI for not having this feature yet when it's broken everyone keeps quiet. :rolleyes:

I had this issue as well. It fixed rather easily for me, try this: Go to nvidia (advanced) control panel. Next under display, go to 'change flat panel scaling' and make sure use my display's built in scaling is selected. Next go to resize HDTV desktop and click the bullet to resize desktop then click resize desktop button. Soon a big blue screen with green arrow at the corners will pop up. Don't resize anything, my display just jumped to the 1:1 pixel ratio and was perfect, cancel out and all should be fine.

I tested this with 2 different OS installations with 2 sets of hardware and it worked. My monitor is the Westy 37" lvm3.

I believe I have tried those suggestions, and failed, but I will try again. I had to re install Vista Friday, so atm, I am on the 7.15.11.65

When I did the patch / beta post install, it went to the poorly scaled, fubar, so I just rolled back the driver and that put me where I am at. The blurriness was the worst part of it, as my Westy is normally so crisp and clean.

Anonuser, did you see this and try it yet?

So basically you're saying the Flat panel scaling option is broken in Vista? I've used it myself and it worked fine..

It definitely does not work for me on multiple installations of newer drivers. Try it and see if you can change the options and it saves after closing and opening the nvidia control panel. There are threads all over the net about how it is broken.

Do you have a 8800 series video card? Did you try this on Vista or only XP? The newest drivers? Thanks for the post.

Anonuser, did you see this and try it yet?
Right now I'm back on the older drivers. I just got tired of struggling with the problem.

same. I want to play, not screw with settings atm, so just sticking with the older drivers for today.

Do you have a 8800 series video card? Did you try this on Vista or only XP? The newest drivers? Thanks for the post.

This is done with Vista x64 ultimate, Nvidia 163.44 drivers for x64, Leadtek 640MB 8800GTS. Upon first install and reboot of the drivers, I get the black boarder, but when I attempt to resize the desktop, the driver seems to realize that it's incorrect and seems to fix itself perfectly.

I did this on a Opteron with a DFI Lanparty UT board and a Q6600 with an IP35 pro.

Next go to resize HDTV desktop and click the bullet to resize desktop then click resize desktop button. Soon a big blue screen with green arrow at the corners will pop up. Don't resize anything, my display just jumped to the 1:1 pixel ratio and was perfect, cancel out and all should be fine.

Where is the "resize HDTV desktop" option? I may be blind or just hung over but I swear I can't find it. Which task is it located in? I want to try your method out. (I'm looking at the old version of the drivers so maybe I wont see it until I reinstall the new ones.)

The only difference between your setup and mine is Vista x64 (I'm using x86) and a 8800gts (I'm using GTX). If it worked for you I would think it would fix my issues also.

Thanks again.

This is what I used to fix the issue. Nevermind the crooked picture. ;)

nv1.jpg

Yeah, that option is not in the older drivers.

Thanks again, I'm going out but I'll give it a try when I have some time.

The option has been in the control panel since 162.22 release according to nvidia release notes, if you're using older then yeah, wont work. :)

I used the above recommendation for correcting underscan/overscan with the 163.44 drivers. And it does work. Kinda.

Basically everything is now scaled and scanned properly, but if I put in an HD-DVD (this happens ONLY in HD playback) the screen overscans and I lose about 1 inch of screen all around the edges. Does NOT happen in regular DVD's, nor any other video playback format. Also, does anyone know a way to tell if your hardware decoding & acceleration is working?

If you use the overscan compensation fix, you can scale to your hearts content - provided that you do NOT have a bunch of custom resolutions added. Ex. I wanted to play Diablo 2 on my new 28" monitor (yeah, I know, but anyway :D). D2 only goes up to 800x600. It would not do scaling with the 163.44s. I then did the overscan compensation fix. It worked for other games (1024x768), just not for D2. I had 800x600 as a custom resolution, which messed it up somehow. Once I deleted that as a resolution choice and rebooted (after overscan compensation fix enabled), it worked fine.

If you don't have the choice of flat panel scaling, look under manage custom resolutions and take the check mark out of the "Treat as HDTV" box. Hope this helps.

Success!

Found my relief!

use the International 163.44's

Still had to go to the "resize" screen, but just clicking it, as mentioned above, worked.and it saved that way. seemingly, good to go now. Now, off to see how it affects my WoW usage.

Success!

Found my relief!

use the International 163.44's

Still had to go to the "resize" screen, but just clicking it, as mentioned above, worked.and it saved that way. seemingly, good to go now. Now, off to see how it affects my WoW usage.

Just got home, no time to try this until tomorrow after work.

International 163s? Do you have a url? Different than: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.44.html ?

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I will have success with this too.

Just got home, no time to try this until tomorrow after work.

International 163s? Do you have a url? Different than: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.44.html ?

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I will have success with this too.

Seriously? Are the International 163.44's different from the Domestic ones? (I am honestly curious, I wouldn't think they would be outside of language inclusions.)

I don't think they are, I think they only have expanded language support, but the drivers are the same. I usually download the international drivers if the domestic download link is slow, which it sometimes is.

from what i read on a few nvidia forums, the difference is also not just languages, but in the .inf files.
anyway, it worked.

something I hadn't mentioned previously, was tha towards the end of trying various driver instals, I was getting a failure on even trying to install, error was... " Nvidia has determined you are not using a Windows Vista 32 bit OS" something like that.

and googling that error pointed me to the International driver, which, also fixed my scaling issue :D

Back