Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution

Island

Gawd
Damn....I just realized this option setting with Maxwell architecture and my New 980 Ti's. I've always played games and used the windows environment at my Dell monitors Native resolution, and have been happy at 2560x1600.

But, using NVidia Experience, I just realized that Maxwell can implement DSR and the video card can output your games or desktop at 4k resolutions and then re-scale it to your monitor's native resolution. I just tried playing games like Dying Light, COD, and Dishonored...

Holy Crap, The sharpness and overall detail is fantastic. Not to mention that my 3770k and 980 Ti's in SLI can handle the 4K image without a problem. Sorry if this is old news, because it's new to me, and I'm very impressed!

EDIT- I guess this is just Super sampling, but Using NVidia Experience, it works flawlessly and it's very smooth in the games that I have tried and played.

Last edited:
isn't this trick applied before?

Like I said, I believe it's just Super sampling, but I never implemented it Using NVidia's Experience, and playing games on my 980 Ti's is so smooth and the visual upgrade is very noticeable to my eyes

I just tried Withcer 3 and 3620x2263, everything on Ultra, hair works on, and I'm getting 58fps. Dips down close to 50FPS with fighting, but it's still very playable, and the detail is just amazing.

I find that it cleans up the image quality better than MSAA/FXAA/other AA. 1080 which I DSR to 1440 if my PC can handle that game. Aside from icons appearing too small in some titles, it works well.

Like I said, I believe it's just Super sampling, but I never implemented it Using NVidia's Experience, and playing games on my 980 Ti's is so smooth and the visual upgrade is very noticeable to my eyes

Its not *just* super sampling. Part of the secret sauce is the 13-tap custom gaussian filter that NVIDIA built.

In any case yeah its fun. First title I ever tried it on was Borderlands - and it really made it pop - after that I was hooked.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

Its not *just* super sampling. Part of the secret sauce is the 13-tap custom gaussian filter that NVIDIA built.

In any case yeah its fun. First title I ever tried it on was Borderlands - and it really made it pop - after that I was hooked.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

So do you think it actually makes the game better looking then the monitors Native resolution? After playing with it a bit, i'm not really so sure. I think that using my Dells 2560x1600 native resolution with everything maxed out looks better to my eyes then with DSR enabled. I don't know...I might just have to play with it more

After messing around a bit with DSR...I think it really depends on the game. Playing Dying light at 4k DSR with everything maxed out, I still see FPS pushing close to 100FPS and it looks really nice. Playing the Witcher 3 at 4k DSR and Hairworks on 8xAA, and my FPS starts to dip into the 40's. If I drop to my Monitors native resolution, my FPS goes back up to 70-80 FPS and the visuals look amazing...So, I guess it's hit or miss with DSR..For my set up at least

Last edited:
So do you think it actually makes the game better looking then the monitors Native resolution? After playing with it a bit, i'm not really so sure. I think that using my Dells 2560x1600 native resolution with everything maxed out looks better to my eyes then with DSR enabled. I don't know...I might just have to play with it more

After messing around a bit with DSR...I think it really depends on the game. Playing Dying light at 4k DSR with everything maxed out, I still see FPS pushing close to 100FPS and it looks really nice. Playing the Witcher 3 at 4k DSR and Hairworks on 8xAA, and my FPS starts to dip into the 40's. If I drop to my Monitors native resolution, my FPS goes back up to 70-80 FPS and the visuals look amazing...So, I guess it's hit or miss with DSR..For my set up at least
Hairworks at the default 64x tessellation will bring any system to its knees. I'm sure if you turn it off it will probably run just as well as Dying Light. You could also decrease the amount of AA applied to individual hair strands in the config file to see if that helps. This is separate from the FSAA option. Unfortunately we NVIDIA users don't have an option to turn the tessellation level down like AMD does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...ow_to_get_witcher_3_hairworks_running_on_all/

couldn't use it on my 6 year old 2233RZ without lowering the refresh rate in half ( 60hz, just ew :p )

i prefer using SGSSA with nvidia inspector, never installed nvidia experience nor i ever intend to do, if i wanted simplified hassle free gaming i would have bought a console instead :p

it works lovely in games like RO2 where you can't force MSAA and shader based AA just blurs the image making you feel like near sighted conscript.

give it a shot http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9416613&postcount=3047

The only thing I have noticed when using DSR is that in some games the HUD is really difficult to see, I wonder if Nvidia or any developers will come up with a workaround. Other than that, I agree if you have a high end GPU it really makes images better looking without the use of AA.

The only thing I have noticed when using DSR is that in some games the HUD is really difficult to see, I wonder if Nvidia or any developers will come up with a workaround. Other than that, I agree if you have a high end GPU it really makes images better looking without the use of AA.

That and some parts of the in game UI, like weapon wheels, might be off.

Ya..Playing at 5120x3200 is so awesome. Alien Isolation looks beautiful. My afterburner OSD though...Damn, I need a 10X microscope to see the numbers. Other then that, I think DSR works well. And to the Poster above...I'm like you, I like to do things old school and manually...But NVidia Experience rocks dude..It just works, and you can update game options and launch via the software. Not to mention Shadow play is just amazing

I just need to figure out how to get the Nvidia Experience app to see my Steam library.

I just need to figure out how to get the Nvidia Experience app to see my Steam library.

You need to go into the settings for scanning games and then you can manually set the folders you want experience to scan

Click on the gears Icon at top right (Preferences). Then click on the games tab, and look for the + symbol on the right to add you games folder. Experience should do this automatically as it syncs with Steam, but just in case, this is how you do it manually

Last edited:
I have. Guessing it's a permissions issue but haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.

I think the only games I've played recently that my system can run DSR and get acceptable frames is Dark Souls 1/2. No scaling issues at all and the smoothness is incredible. I just wish the DSR performance was better on the 700 series (using a GTX 780).

Apart from DSR I haven't felt much of a reason to upgrade to the 900 series so I'll be waiting for the generation after that.

Oh, I also tried running POE with DSR on - it looks amazing but it messes with the mouse sensitivity too much because it's being treated as a physically larger screen as far as the game is concerned. No UI scaling issues though.

Back