Nvidia Dual Monitor Down clock fix.

I love this.. with the extra heat gone my Haswell at 4.5ghz and manual 1.255V has all cores in the 20s while I type this. Plus my OC from after burner still works when I set it up to apply for any .exe file I choose. I am able to throttle my fans down so low I can't hear them at all now.

Using this for about 4 months now and it works great. Checking my watt meter, it shaved off ~40-60 watts while watching movies, idling with a paused movie, multi monitor idle desktop, etc.

However upgrading the latest 320 drivers has caused a lot of instability issues, mostly involved with shifting power states.

Seemingly it wont let my card (a gtx 480) hop out of P12 when a movie is playing, so the movie drops frames. Reverting to 314 drivers has fixed this.

Just FYI to those reading this, this is *not* needed on GTX 600, GTX 700, Titan, or 690 GPUs.

Nvidia fixed this with the GTX 600 and later GPUs. Kepler will downclock to idle speeds in surround and dual monitor; all you need to do is ensure that power management is set to "adaptive" in the NV control panel - then your idle speeds will be at 324mhz while not using a 3d application. This fix is only needed on GTX 500 and prior, I remember this issue from way back in the day.

Fortunately it was fixed in Kepler's hardware.

Just FYI to those reading this, this is *not* needed on GTX 600, GTX 700, Titan, or 690 GPUs.

Nvidia fixed this with the GTX 600 and later GPUs. Kepler will downclock to idle speeds in surround and dual monitor; all you need to do is ensure that power management is set to "adaptive" in the NV control panel - then your idle speeds will be at 324mhz while not using a 3d application. This fix is only needed on GTX 500 and prior, I remember this issue from way back in the day.

Fortunately it was fixed in Kepler's hardware.

Hey, that is great info. I was debating a GTX 770 and now this kinda pushes me more in that direction. So far this fix is working like a champ for me and anyone who is running 500 series are lower with this issue should really give this a try! So far its working ok for me with the 320 drivers but now I will pay more attention and see how its responding.

Back