Nvidia drivers not working after installing WinXP Pro SP3

Boxerz

Limp Gawd
About 2 years ago, I ordered ABIT KN9 AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127010

It has been good to me over the years but my hard drives have not so one day I had to reformat and I grabbed my old Win XP Pro cd, one of the old original cds and it was too scratched to use. So I got my laptop and downloaded Win XP Pro SP3(Vista Style) from a torrent which was highly rated on isohunt.. I burned it and installed it on my computer fine but when I tried to use the original motherboard cd to install, nothing would install. I would keep getting errors saying install SP2 and other stuff. I downloaded all the updates and for some reason I downloaded SP1, 2 and 3 even though I was supposed to be on 3..

I heard that XP, you can skip service packs or so. Anyway, on my older original Win XP CD, my motherboard drivers worked but not on this. The CD is not scratched for the mobo drivers and the files work but I can't get my drivers to work so I can't get online since my integrated NIC is what I use. It lights up if I put a cable in there but Windows won't detect anything and when I install the cd, it usually takes like 60secs to install the drivers but it literally takes 1 sec and says it is complete installing and to restart the computer.

My mobo is older so I guess it was designed for SP1 or even before SP1 came out..??

also, will my win xp pro cd key work on a win xp home edition?

You use any "modified" XP discs at your own risk. I would try to acquire an original XP disc and try again. And you really shouldn't skip service packs.

i didnt want a modified version but it was the only one with good ratings off a torrent site. for the most part, i wouldnt trust a torrent site but i don't know where else to download the original cds or obtain another one besides buying another one and i dont wanna do that when i have a legit one already.

Does microsoft have anything on their site to download the original cds if u have the serial?

An XP Pro key will not work on an XP Home disk. If you have a retail product code you need a retail disk, and if its OEM you need an OEM disk. As far as I know you can't download an image from Microsoft unless you are an MSDN or Tech Net subscriber. XP has a lot of drivers included, it may have installed newer versions than what is on the original CD that came with your motherboard. The install program would see them and assume the drivers are already installed. What does device manager show as far as yellow ! . For your onboard NIC, try the have disk option and then point windows to the folder on the CD with the XP NIC drivers in it.

There are several free programs out there to help you read data off a scratched CD. Get one of them and copy your real XP disc to your hard drive. Then, use AutoStreamer to slipstream SP3 in and burn it back to a new disc. Toss out your modified XP version, and don't mention your torrenting activites, unless you want a mod to lock the thread.

If you don't want to try my first suggestion, I've heard of people callin Microsoft and getting replacement media due to a scratched original disc. Once you do get a working disc, make a backup of it. I don't know anyone (well hardly anyone) who doesn't keep a second disc safely away, or at the very least, a .iso file of their discs on a server or external drive.

Back