nVidia driver update problems HELP!

oreo987

Weaksauce
using:

Inno3d GeForce 6600GT AGP w/ Forceware 66.81 that came with CD

Intel 2.4c @ 3.0GHz
Asus P4C800 Deluxe w/ Latest BIOS 5.14 or something..
Corsair XMS PC3700 256MBx2
Windows XP Pro SP2

so i downloaded Forceware 66.93 from nvidia.com and installed it and restarted, then rebooted and windows does is "new hardware found thing" and asks me to search for drivers to install, so i browse for the file click and it starts installing, when the install bar reaches the end, this error shows up, "An error occurred while trying to install driver bla bla".. "THE PARAMETER IS NOT CORRECT"

so i googled and found alot of people having the same problem with nvidia and ati cards but no one seemed to be able to help.
went to nvidia tech support and got nothing, went to ati(i know its diff but was worth trying) and found something. they said select full control for the registry keys for nvidia, so i did that and try installing again, still got the same error. tried older drivers and still the same, seems i'm stuck with 66.81 forever.

hope you guys can help, your my only hope.. :(

Try it with your P4 at stock speeds. Have you tried running driver cleaner.

oh yea, i did use driver cleaner 3, still did not work. dont think is my cpu oc'ing but i will try anyway

did you remove the drivers through the control panel, then used Driver Cleaner 3 ?

Driver cleaner 3

Try this:

1 remove drivers through control panel and any Oclk utility(ie riva tuner)
2 reboot into safe mode
3 cancel "found new hardware"
4 Run Driver Cleaner 3 (follow directions)
skip to 7 if new card is in
5 shut down
6 install new card
7 reboot
8 cancel "found new hardware"
9 install new drivers
10 may have to install monitor drivers
11 run coolbits
12 setup vid card through prop page
13 start fraggin!

Back