NVIDIA Develops Multi-User, Location-Based VR System

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Making VR a group experience is certainly possible, as demonstrated by a new multi-user VR system crafted by NVIDIA. Their engineers figured out how to power four HTC Vive Business Edition headsets all from a single box using four Quadro P6000 GPUs running four virtual machines on a PC server. These single setups would be ideal for group VR experiences in tight spaces that include simulation training in mobile command centers. Thanks to Kyle for this one.

Multi-user systems open up opportunities to use VR in everything from amusement parks and arcades to military and first responder training, to manufacturing and design. The setup minimizes the space, power and cooling required, making the system portable and quick to deploy. This is particularly advantageous for the growing market for location-based VR environments, the customized VR spaces popping up at cinemas, shopping malls and elsewhere. The system’s compact size brings full-featured VR capabilities into tight or unconventional spaces, like naval ships and mobile command centers, where simulation training can add tremendous value.

I LOVE this idea and would build a system tomorrow... but With no Games/Applications that currently support it. It would be a waste :drowning:

I could see this working for tank control systems as well. Each station that would need to handle outside threats, main gunner and anti-personnel gunner, would have a VR headset that would also control a turret as well as for the driver, to see everything outside, instead of using small screens. (The ammo handlers obviously wouldn't need it.) It would make them much less vulnerable.

WOW.. a $30K system to run 4 VR head sets. I mean the 4 GPU's alone run about $20-$24K alone

Back