NVIDIA Cuts Prices on High End Cards

Now if only they'd lower price of the 790i . . .

Not a chance in hell will I be paying $349 (NewEGG - less rebate) for a damn motherboard!!! :mad:

good for you. don't let them get away with that shit... motherboards should never be over 150 unless they have mad aftermarket cooling on them or something...

I was really hoping a price war wouldn't start this quickly. That's really going to cut into the margins :(

Good for consumers, bad for manufacturers.

What ever your take on what the best video card is, this time around everyone wins.
That's what I was going to say. I've been contemplating a new rig for about a year and I just wanted to switch from ATI to NVidia to give another company a shot to impress me.

With the price of the GTX 260 going to $329 (and lower), it is very attractive to someone like me who hasn't been in the "game" for 5 years.

I also agree with the statement that no matter your choice, everyone wins with competition. Prices goes down, technology gets improved, and we get new drama to read on this forum. :)

Remember, ati got 45 nm in gogo soon or something, meaning while nv rushes now, alot have bought vga again from ati after the damn good performance.

ati comes with : IF THEY ARE SMART, 256 bit instead of 512 bit, 4 ghz GDDR5 1000 mhz*2*2 :) shrink to 55 nm, redesign abit, get dx10.1 in, and get clocks up abit.

thats all possible, by not changing way too much, ati did it from 2900 xt to 3870.

it just depends on how much time nvidia have, they prolly wont change 512 bit to 256 bit with gddr5.

just clocks and shrink. and the noise is juuuust unbearable!

I dont get why people become fanboys at all. And I dont mean like choosing the winner in one generation of products, but constantly siding with the same company regardless of how bad their offerings get. Unless you work for the company (or own stock), I dont see you benefiting from it in any way. This "loyalty" bs is just stupid on so many levels.

Some people become loyal to a brand because they've earned our trust, as in my case. Not because I'm some blind zealot. I've always bought nVidia since the TNT2 Ultra days because they have yet to fail me or shake my faith in them.

Prior to the TNT days I've preferred Matrox products with their Mystique, Millennium II and m3D cards. They fell behind with Parhelia (sp?) and I switched to TNT2.

Of course I'm aware some people have had issues with some nVidia products, but I'm not one of them.

It's not that I'm a fanboy, but rather I loathe throwing $300-400 towards something I have no personal experience with, thats all.

I was really hoping a price war wouldn't start this quickly. That's really going to cut into the margins :(

Good for consumers, bad for manufacturers.

Do you manufacture video cards? Based on your sig you seem to be one of those consumers ;)

Do you manufacture video cards? Based on your sig you seem to be one of those consumers ;)

I'm guessing his thought is that it means that the manufacturers will have less money to pour into R&D, this meaning that the HD 5870/GTX 380 will take longer to come out or be less impressive. Taken to the extreme, if there's just not enough money to be made in discrete GPU's for computers, NVIDIA and AMD could shift their focus exclusively to integrated graphics and console GPU's (the horrors!). While theoretically possible, I don't think that the price war is nearly as severe as that though; AMD raised prices when they saw how well it performed, so they at least still have some wiggle room, and I am sure that NVIDIA does too, just not as much as in the days when they were the unquestioned king.

I guess I jumped the gun and he really wasn't meaning it like that, my bad. :D

I'm in the employ of one of the aforementioned companies ;) Can you guess which? :p

I'd wager a guess for a company that is in both the CPU and discrete GPU market right now. ;) (Not in the future, but right now.)

Nv made cuts because the 4xxx series is performing near, at, or better than their own offerings for a considerably lower price, with good availability to boot. End of story really.

No they are not, they are doing it because of other business reasons.

They have to lower pricing, their stock is dropping like a rock(30% so far), and the 4XXX line is accountable for maybe 10% of the reason(and that is being generous). Inventory handling, revenue down(this is from before these cards hit the market), 8x00 series costs went up without wholesale pricing increase, $150 to $200 million hit for a bad moble chipset, margins slimming on most product families, expected lower revenue for the next few quarters, etc, etc, etc.

High end graphics cards are one of the smallest money makers, low and mid level are the money makers. The only thing they really are good for is chest thumping on who is the best and trickle down technology where it eventually becomes extremely cheap to produce and is mid/low end.

Some people become loyal to a brand because they've earned our trust, as in my case. Not because I'm some blind zealot. I've always bought nVidia since the TNT2 Ultra days because they have yet to fail me or shake my faith in them.

Prior to the TNT days I've preferred Matrox products with their Mystique, Millennium II and m3D cards. They fell behind with Parhelia (sp?) and I switched to TNT2.

Of course I'm aware some people have had issues with some nVidia products, but I'm not one of them.

It's not that I'm a fanboy, but rather I loathe throwing $300-400 towards something I have no personal experience with, thats all.

So Basically no matter that the reviews say and user reports... price or performance... Ati will never see your coin because your are not familiar with them.

thats fair... but i am low on NVIDIA CHIPSETS right now... they really have fallen .... Going all INTEL and ATI the next round unless something changes

The G400/450 was the competitor to TNT2. Parhelia was released around the time of the Geforce4 Ti/Radeon 8500.

The G400/450 was the competitor to TNT2. Parhelia was released around the time of the Geforce4 Ti/Radeon 8500.

I know that. I've skimmed over a lot of graphics card history for the sake of simplicity. I've even had a pair of Diamond Monster 3D 2 Voodoo2 SLI cards, and a Voodoo3 for a time. I've also had a Diamond Stealth for awhile too and a few ISA cards before that. I'm just sayng basically that Matrox had fallen from the radar amongst the enthusiastic builders and nVidia had risen starting from their Rage cards, then TNT, then Geforces. I'm certain that one day nVidia will exhaust their resources and submit to defeat sometimes in the future.

Besides, I didn't purchase my TNT2 Ultra and GeForce256 DDR. My brother worked at Gateway at the time and got his hands on a few cards from his bosses ;-)

And Pope, I agree with you that reviews should be paid attention to, but as I said, I've personally had no problems with nVidia products to this day. Maybe next time I'll consider ATI, maybe not. It depends on who makes the best product when it's time for me to upgrade.

I know that. I've skimmed over a lot of graphics card history for the sake of simplicity. I've even had a pair of Diamond Monster 3D 2 Voodoo2 SLI cards, and a Voodoo3 for a time. I've also had a Diamond Stealth for awhile too and a few ISA cards before that. I'm just sayng basically that Matrox had fallen from the radar amongst the enthusiastic builders and nVidia had risen starting from their Rage cards, then TNT, then Geforces. I'm certain that one day nVidia will exhaust their resources and submit to defeat sometimes in the future.

Besides, I didn't purchase my TNT2 Ultra and GeForce256 DDR. My brother worked at Gateway at the time and got his hands on a few cards from his bosses ;-)

And Pope, I agree with you that reviews should be paid attention to, but as I said, I've personally had no problems with nVidia products to this day. Maybe next time I'll consider ATI, maybe not. It depends on who makes the best product when it's time for me to upgrade.

Too little too late, Nvidia lost my business this upgrade round.

Hope their price/performance is in check when I go to upgrade around christmas again...for now Loving my 4850.

hey the 4870 is great but the 280 is still a little ahead of ati best. for now.

I had a G400 MAX and a TNT2 Ultra side-by-side and they traded blows pretty evenly, and I preferred the G400's picture quality. Matrox simply didn't have the engineers to compete (Although IMO, some design decisions that were made for the Parhelia were stupid, and if they had concentrated on fillrate and pipelines vs memory bandwidth, they might have competed)

I never enjoyed a windows desktop more than when I owned a G400. :)

I had a G400 MAX and a TNT2 Ultra side-by-side and they traded blows pretty evenly, and I preferred the G400's picture quality. Matrox simply didn't have the engineers to compete (Although IMO, some design decisions that were made for the Parhelia were stupid, and if they had concentrated on fillrate and pipelines vs memory bandwidth, they might have competed)

I never enjoyed a windows desktop more than when I owned a G400. :)

Indeed Matrox ruled the roost when it came to quality. Hell I think they still do. Matrox used to be popular in workstation machines too. I wonder if that's still true.

I Fell really bad for the early 280 adopters... with the 4800 line and Nvidia deep price cuts right off the bat....they just threw money away... but i am sure they will tell me they had the money to burn

I Fell really bad for the early 280 adopters... with the 4800 line and Nvidia deep price cuts right off the bat....they just threw money away... but i am sure they will tell me they had the money to burn
Yes. Yes. We get it. You're trolling again and posting obvious flame-bait. Clearly, you care so very much that you need to say this over and over again, even creating entire threads about it in which you then turn on and attack those you claim to care so very deeply about. . . eventually leading to your temp-banning. We covered it. You're just that much of a big-hearted guy. No trolling here at all.

But please don't shed any crocodile tears for us. Ever heard of a price adjustment? Sleep a little better knowing that I'll get today's price for the cards I've been enjoying for a couple weeks.

Oh, and yes, there are some people who had the money to burn. I think that and your inability to get your nvidia chipset working correctly is what is really at play here and largely explains your rather sad behavior. Perhaps some counseling is in order. You don't seem like a healthy individual.

I'm not impressed with the 280 GTX at the moment. Its nice that NVIDIA put the prices down, but its still expensive.

And yes, the 790i motherboards are also expensive as well. Here in Australia its like over $500 AUS here and my 780i motherboard wasn't cheap either.

Lets hope their next card at 55nm is going to be a huge improvement.

An Nvidiot is one who buys NVIDIA no matter what. And will defend Nvidia no matter what....

A Nvidia Zealot is similar to a Nvidiot... except he will use Ati when its just flat out the best choice... like right now

there is a difference.... an Nvidiot will use anything to FUD the coming king the 4870 like microstutter FUD or Nvidia is better cus its a SINGLE GPU card

Well, I've been here for a while and I NEVER saw what's happening right now, especially in the video-card sub-forum. From your "buyers remorse threads" and the other million threads your created to bash NVIDIA, to Lost!'s "ATI has so much goodwill" post to "NVIDIA is in trouble" threads.

As I mentioned in another thread, I thought fanboys were all the same. Seems I was wrong, since ATI fans are truly fanATIc...
Even during the times of the launch of G80 and the failure of R600, I never saw NVIDIA fanboys spread so much FUD...

Wow. Once again, it's posts like this that are actually painful. Note how someone who has a bit more money and therefore isn't as concerned with saving a couple hundred dollars must somehow not be using (in italics) their brains. I've currently got performance that the ATi offerings can't approach, and I'm playing my favorite game with every single detail turned up at the resolution I perfer. And the price delta would not have had any real effect on my day-to-day life. So, using my brain, I think I made a pretty good decision.

But, of course you and your sad, little video card partisans actually form pseudo political parties over this crap and insist on seeing one side as "good" (and deserving praise and gratitude for doing what's best for their bottom line) while the other is "bad" and deserving somehow of nothing but condemnation for doing the exact same thing.

They are video cards and people like you and POPEGOLD need to grow up, look in the mirror, and figure out what has gone wrong in your psyches that makes you behave this way regarding something so f'ing trivial.

This topic, and these forums used to actually be informative and fun. Now it just feels like we've got rejects from the various political underground blogs projecting their misanthropic, bizarrely confrontational, and arrogantly self-righteous BS at us over our video card preferences and/or our ability to pay more for more performance.

If you read up on ANY technical article on the HD4000s (Anandtech's is good) you'll know that the 4000s are easier and cheaper to produce. Heck before nVidia second price-cutted the 9800GTX (this news) the 4850 was sold at a LOWER price to the OEMs than the 9800GTX.

Die 2.5x the size? Ooh, and you should love yields too.
Power circuitry for a 230W chip? Volterra must be $$$ in!
512-bit bus? Nice, get a PCB with at least 12 layers for proper tracing. No cost-down boards made ever!
Oh, and did I mention the heat? Get Cooler Master's best cooler to do that, and $$$!

And ATI's pricing out of goodwill... my arse.

Informative and fun, yes, if you actually have some knowledge instead of going all mercy because you purchased one :rolleyes:- against nVidia's new engineering and profit flop. I did that against the 2900XT (in other forums) and still bought one because I wanted to see how it could even work. Oh, and the convincing came later on.

Well, I've been here for a while and I NEVER saw what's happening right now, especially in the video-card sub-forum. From your "buyers remorse threads" and the other million threads your created to bash NVIDIA, to Lost!'s "ATI has so much goodwill" post to "NVIDIA is in trouble" threads.

As I mentioned in another thread, I thought fanboys were all the same. Seems I was wrong, since ATI fans are truly fanATIc...
Even during the times of the launch of G80 and the failure of R600, I never saw NVIDIA fanboys spread so much FUD...

I havent had an ATI card in sooooooooo long... i am not BASHING nvidia... i am just stating the facts of the current situation and times... and the only people who seem to have a problem with me is people who have emotional ties to nvidia. Period

the problem here lies with the fact that you seem to feel sorry for people who are running superior hardware compared to what you believe is the top card, price : performance wise.

gtx280 in sli is one of the best setups for gaming performance at the moment and you feel sorry for people who have the best possible setup.

that's strange.

the problem here lies with the fact that you seem to feel sorry for people who are running superior hardware compared to what you believe is the top card, price : performance wise.

gtx280 in sli is one of the best setups for gaming performance at the moment and you feel sorry for people who have the best possible setup.

that's strange.

if u can find one post of me sayin the GTX280 is not the best.... please link me to it

i have been consistant that it was way overpriced for the performance... and i think it will be very hardpressed to hold its title very long....4870X2 is close.

I never said it SUCKED ...the gtx280 is the king right now in pure performance.

If you read up on ANY technical article on the HD4000s (Anandtech's is good) you'll know that the 4000s are easier and cheaper to produce. Heck before nVidia second price-cutted the 9800GTX (this news) the 4850 was sold at a LOWER price to the OEMs than the 9800GTX.

Die 2.5x the size? Ooh, and you should love yields too.
Power circuitry for a 230W chip? Volterra must be $$$ in!
512-bit bus? Nice, get a PCB with at least 12 layers for proper tracing. No cost-down boards made ever!
Oh, and did I mention the heat? Get Cooler Master's best cooler to do that, and $$$!

And ATI's pricing out of goodwill... my arse.

Informative and fun, yes, if you actually have some knowledge instead of going all mercy because you purchased one :rolleyes:- against nVidia's new engineering and profit flop. I did that against the 2900XT (in other forums) and still bought one because I wanted to see how it could even work. Oh, and the convincing came later on.
This post would have been a lot better if you gave any indication that you were capable of actually accepting that people can be knowledgeable and still disagree with you while making a different purchasing decision. It's also interesting how you have reversed yourself and now essentially agree with me that ATi doesn't really deserver gratitude because they didn't price these cards so low out of goodwill. Which, was, of course, my original point. It's just too bad that you've lost sight of your own original point and now can't really state anything but what everyone already knew and then go on to agree with me. . . and just wrap things up with more of your bizarre little partisan antics: "You bought a GTX280! You must have no knowledge and be stupid!"

Sad dude. Just sad. Next time, review someone's post history and their time here before just assuming that you're all-knowing and have superior knowledge to everyone else. Different priorities =/= knowledge.

This post would have been a lot better if you gave any indication that you were capable of actually accepting that people can be knowledgeable and still disagree with you while making a different purchasing decision. It's also interesting how you have reversed yourself and now essentially agree with me that ATi doesn't really deserver gratitude because they didn't price these cards so low out of goodwill. Which, was, of course, my original point. It's just too bad that you've lost sight of your own original point and now can't really state anything but what everyone already knew and then go on to agree with me. . . and just wrap things up with more of your bizarre little partisan antics: "You bought a GTX280! You must have no knowledge and be stupid!"

Sad dude. Just sad. Next time, review someone's post history and their time here before just assuming that you're all-knowing and have superior knowledge to everyone else. Different priorities =/= knowledge.

Dude if u have the free coin to spend 1300 yankees on GPU's and u wanted the best... u got the best.... Dont let me or anyone else knock your choice...

it my opinion u blew way too much coin for that setup... but thats MY OPINION.... your opinion for your RIG is all that matters at the end of the day.

your games will run like a cat with its tail whacked off... enjoy

I havent had an ATI card in sooooooooo long... i am not BASHING nvidia... i am just stating the facts of the current situation and times... and the only people who seem to have a problem with me is people who have emotional ties to nvidia. Period
Yes, and when a thread starts to die down. . . you feel the need to repeat yourself as though you've never said it before, and shed crocodile tears for those you've nakedly flamed in the past. Then you feel the need to start entire threads lamenting their fate. Threads that get you temp-banned, btw.

Funny how you always couch your sympathy in ways that point out how stupid you think others are. If that's truly your way of showing sympathy, then you must have been raised by poodles, because someone filled your head with a lot of bad wiring.

Last time I checked, putting "NV" in front of "idiots" didn't make it okay to constantly call people "idiots" while claiming to be only feeling symapthy for them.

It's just too bad that you can't get over that some people can afford more video card than you, enjoy the extra performance, and can actually get their nvidia chipsets working. But since you can't, you've joined up with the video-card partisans who make their raison d'etre punshing all those that disagree with you. Sad. Not just for you. But for these forums.

I love people who are being smarmy about something and then pass it off as if they weren't bashing anyone/anything. These are people who like to pick fights and then back out saying "Naw man, I didn't mean it that way."

Hurin said:
It's just too bad that you can't get over that some people can afford more video card than you

This thread is about, the price and performance, not the performance. Most of your post have nothing to do with the topic. The price and PERFORMANCE is a really big issue for most of these people in here. So please lay off that "I have more money than you, and I can buy what I want." For you to justify you buying two of those cards for over 600 dollars a card on this thread is pointless. This is about price and performance, not performance. Yes the gtx 280 is the fastest card, but most people can't afford that right now. And instead of trolling about you have more money than anyone in here, just stay out of the subject.

I myself could afford the samething, but I will not come on a thread and try to have a pissing contest when it's not part of the topic.

I love people who are being smarmy about something and then pass it off as if they weren't bashing anyone/anything. These are people who like to pick fights and then back out saying "Naw man, I didn't mean it that way."

1) annoy people
2) continue to annoy people
3) annoy the SHIT out of people
4) get punched in the face
5) Ah man I was just playing!!!

This thread is about, the price and performance, not the performance. Most of your post have nothing to do with the topic. The price and PERFORMANCE is a really big issue for most of these people in here. So please lay off that "I have more money than you, and I can buy what I want." For you to justify you buying two of those cards for over 600 dollars a card on this thread is pointless. This is about price and performance, not performance. Yes the gtx 280 is the fastest card, but most people can't afford that right now. And instead of trolling about you have more money than anyone in here, just stay out of the subject.

I myself could afford the samething, but I will not come on a thread and try to have a pissing contest when it's not part of the topic.
Pardon me. But I think you have misjudged my intent and my message. I'd urge you to look at POPEGOLD's post history. He's the one talking about how everyone who purchased these cards got booty-raped, how he feels oh-so-sorry for them, when he's not subtly or not-so-subtly asserting that only a moron would have bought them in the first place. And these forums are replete with posts from him and people like him who constantly demean those who are willing and/or able to spend more on what they want.

If you look at my post history, you'll see that I do not go wagging my rig or my ability to pay for it in people's faces. But I do speak up when people who choose not to spend more blatantly attack or insult those who do.

You're got the wrong guy in your crosshairs here, friend.

... and the only people who seem to have a problem with me is people who have emotional ties to nvidia. Period

WRONG.

I joined the 'buyer's remorse' thread to enjoy the show, but now it seems like you're straight trolling every thread that has anything to do with nVidia's new GPU series.
You're annoying me. And I don't even like nvidia that much.

1) annoy people
2) continue to annoy people
3) annoy the SHIT out of people
4) ?????
5) PROFIT!!!

Fix'd.

WRONG.

I joined the 'buyer's remorse' thread to enjoy the show, but now it seems like you're straight trolling every thread that has anything to do with nVidia's new GPU series.
You're annoying me. And I don't even like nvidia that much.

Fix'd.

Well i dont post to please you. So its fine u dont like what i have to say.. thats life.

So, regarding the price cuts: As expected, Newegg happily price adjusted my cards retroactively this morning. So no harm done. Heck, while doing it, they even noticed that my RAM had come down $10 in price and refunded that as well without me even asking.

Now, they did say that they were making a "one time exception" in this case. And your own mileage may vary. But I would expect that if you call and ask politely and nicely, they'd do the same for just about anyone as long as you call promptly as early within your 30-day return policy as possible. It's the people who call and act all butt-hurt that may get the shaft. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar, and all that. :)

Well i dont post to please you. So its fine u dont like what i have to say.. thats life.

I didn't say you need to stop posting becuase you're annoying as all hell, I was merely pointing out that you annoy a lot more people than you think, and that you post the same recycled stuff over and over in every thread I read.

...and the only people who seem to have a problem with me is people who have emotional ties to nvidia. Period

You are incorrect. I have no ties to nvidia, be it physical or emotional, I have a 4870 on the way, and I am extremely excited that ATI has made the GPU market competitive again. At the same time, I find your posts vapid and relentlessly annoying.

So, regarding the price cuts: As expected, Newegg happily price adjusted my cards retroactively this morning. So no harm done. Heck, while doing it, they even noticed that my RAM had come down $10 in price and refunded that as well without me even asking.

Now, they did say that they were making a "one time exception" in this case. And your own mileage may vary. But I would expect that if you call and ask politely and nicely, they'd do the same for just about anyone as long as you call promptly as early within your 30-day return policy as possible. It's the people who call and act all butt-hurt that may get the shaft. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar, and all that. :)

I bought the EVGA SSC 280 and the price right now has only dropped $40, far less than what was stated at the start of this thread. How much did you get taken off?

I might have used my one time exception though since I asked them to wiave the 15% restock fee for returning my broken X-Fi Titanium (30 days is almost up and didn't want to take a chance that this card just doesn't work in my system).

Back