NVIDIA Cuts Prices on High End Cards

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Hexus is reporting that NVIDIA, facing pricing pressure on the heels of the impressive release of AMD/ATI's 4800-series, is cutting prices on the 9800 GTX, GTX 260, and GTX 280 cards. The AIB (board partner) prices will be as follows (all prices are USD):

9800 GTX: $165 ($199)
GTX 260: $222 ($329)
GTX 280: $392 ($499)

(Prices in parentheses are target selling prices.)

An interesting issue arising from this move is the extent to which NVIDIA is protecting its AIBs and the broader channel from these price cuts. Even if it just protects the AIBs it could be looking at an additional bill of $10 million or so and, obviously, if it extends that to the entire channel the figure will be considerably higher. The dilemma for NVIDIA is that any channel partners who it doesn’t protect are bound to be pretty unhappy at being left with stock that is now worth considerably less than it did when they bought it.

about fracking time !!!!
too little too late ;)

WOW nice price drops, I will re-evaluate if I'll get the Geforce 260 or the radeon 4780...

So I am still within my 100-Day step up program with bfg on my new 8800gts that I bought for $250. I wonder if that means they will give me $50 to take a 9800 GTX off there hands?!? :p

So I am still within my 100-Day step up program with bfg on my new 8800gts that I bought for $250. I wonder if that means they will give me $50 to take a 9800 GTX off there hands?!? :p

lol, they just might :D

about fracking time !!!!
too little too late ;)

So no one is ever going to a GPU again?:confused: Plus this won't be the only price cutting from nVidia this summer, especially if the 4870x2 comes out at $500 and is impressive. Plus I expect this fall we'll see a whole new level of performance vs. price.

If nVidia was being fat and lazy, that's all changed.

What does the $392 AIB board partner price mean ... what, say, EVGA has to pay then they mark it up from that?

Now if only they'd lower price of the 790i . . .

Not a chance in hell will I be paying $349 (NewEGG - less rebate) for a damn motherboard!!! :mad:

What does the $392 AIB board partner price mean ... what, say, EVGA has to pay then they mark it up from that?

That would be the asumption. I believe I am correct in saying, their are no 3rd party designed 9800GTXes/260s/280s in existence, which means all AIBs have to buy the cards from one producer, and therefore one price.

I am still hesitant, why couldnt you make the 260 & 280 dx10.1.

Do you reckon they could CUDA update them to dx10.1?

I think Nvidia realizes that DX10.1 is just a marketing scheme by ATI. And it's working. Now, while they don't do it themselves to negate it, I have no idea.

does this mean the price for the 280 is going to be $499 for the standard clocked version? the $392 price looks more attractive ;) any chance we will see lower prices without rebates?

I think I'm still within 100 days on my BFG G92 GTS. If it works, should I go for a 9800 GTX or the GTX 260?

Sadly those three boards are too big to fit in my case. Time to start looking for an upgrade there too...

Nv cut prices a lot faster than I thought they would. I really expected them to only cut prices after the 4870x2 benches were in and it had wide retail availability. I guess the 4850 and 4870 put more pressure on them than I thought.

I think Nvidia realizes that DX10.1 is just a marketing scheme by ATI. And it's working. Now, while they don't do it themselves to negate it, I have no idea.

Actually MS created the spec and Ati chose to implement it. It has PROVEN to give some damn good gains in AA performance in an actual game, Assassins Creed. Not really just a marketing scheme imo, but we are all free to have our own opinions. Expect Nv to implement the Dx10.1 marketing scheme in their next major architecture change. ;)

does this mean the price for the 280 is going to be $499 for the standard clocked version? the $392 price looks more attractive ;) any chance we will see lower prices without rebates?

This is just the beginning of price cutting from nVidia especially if the 4870x2 comes in at $500 and is 80% faster than a 4870. nVidia is not going to just hand it over to AMD. They are tenacious and if they have to take the hit in bad or negative margins, they will. They pretty much said as much in their announcement last week and got creamed.

You can expect a BIG launch this fall from nVidia assuming they can pull it off. The 4800 series is a great product and nVidia will do everything it can to usurp it as soon as they can.

im a little confused are the non-parenthesis prices the new prices because the the price in the parenthesis was just updated a few days ago

This is just the beginning of price cutting from nVidia especially if the 4870x2 comes in at $500 and is 80% faster than a 4870. nVidia is not going to just hand it over to AMD. They are tenacious and if they have to take the hit in bad or negative margins, they will. They pretty much said as much in their announcement last week and got creamed.

You can expect a BIG launch this fall from nVidia assuming they can pull it off. The 4800 series is a great product and nVidia will do everything it can to usurp it as soon as they can.

what kind of big launch... the GT200b is the next GPU from Gang Green.... and its just a shrink.... probally better clocks and DDR5...

but nvidia will be losing money until then

what kind of big launch... the GT200b is the next GPU from Gang Green.... and its just a shrink.... probally better clocks and DDR5...

After the shrink, they should be in a better position to pull off a x2 with the 260 or 280.
Prior to the shrink, they may go the Ultra route and just cherry pick chips and up the voltage and clocks. We will have to see what they actually do. They are not going to let it sit as is long term if they can help it.

People are not seeing the full implications of SLI.
SLI sells chip sets, not just gpus. If Nv does not have a commanding gpu/sli lead, it could lessen the desire of many to buy their, often inferior to Intel's, chip sets. How many people would bother with a Nv chip set for an Intel cpu if it were not for SLI?
I wonder.

All I am saying is that nVidia isn't simply doing nothing. They may not be able to execute in the fall. And for now its pure speculation what a GT200b is or can do. They will certainly be more aggressive with pricing and that's going to be key and that's part of the reason nVidia cut its earning estimates.

The GTX 280 overall for now is the fastest single chip GPU around, even the 4870x2 isn't going to change that. It's not like nVidia doesn't have capable parts.

great news but the ATi cards are still the better deal i think. lower price, comparable performance, dx 10.1, better image quality, huge overclocking headroom, etc.

thats just my IMO anyway. and ive always been with nvidia till now

All I am saying is that nVidia isn't simply doing nothing. They may not be able to execute in the fall. And for now its pure speculation what a GT200b is or can do. They will certainly be more aggressive with pricing and that's going to be key and that's part of the reason nVidia cut its earning estimates.

The GTX 280 overall for now is the fastest single chip GPU around, even the 4870x2 isn't going to change that. It's not like nVidia doesn't have capable parts.

OK so u are one of those SINGLE GPU guys but probally have 2 or 4 CPU's in your machine

if a dual GPU card beats a single CPU card for the same or less money...does the single GPU card get a special medal?

SLI sells chip sets, not just gpus. If Nv does not have a commanding gpu/sli lead, it could lessen the desire of many to buy their, often inferior to Intel's, chip sets. How many people would bother with a Nv chip set for an Intel cpu if it were not for SLI?
I wonder.

TRUST ME... i am getting rid of this junk Nvidia chipset first chance i get.... and going INTEL and X FIRE

I wonder.

You've been reading my mind haven't you? :)

That's exactly why I said that Nvidia could ill-afford the surprise of the 4800 series when they came out. Lose the performance crown and they'll lose sales for their motherboards as well. I think this price cut says that Nvidia understands this and is moving with a surprising amount of aggressiveness to counter ATI.

i am glad i still didn't buy my new video card. now the question is gtx 280 or 4870 ?:)

i am glad i still didn't buy my new video card. now the question is gtx 280 or 4870 ?:)

Jury's out on this really. I'm looking for a new card myself, but am not willing to commit until around mid August :p

whats in august???

4870x2. There is some debate on whether it will be faster than two 4870's in Xfire, or only just as fast. There is evidence to support either assertion, so we will just have to be certain.

This just isn't a big deal for Nvidia... I mean the stock price issue is, but the 10mil or so this would cost them is peanuts. They're still sitting on far more cash than that in reserves. Taking such a small hit now to stay popular on the store shelves is a no-brainer for them. Over the long run they still may even make money on the 200 series.

This isn't over by a long shot.

4870x2. There is some debate on whether it will be faster than two 4870's in Xfire, or only just as fast. There is evidence to support either assertion, so we will just have to wait be certain.

Forgot to type in "wait"

Looks like its becoming hard decision time again. I just ordered a Lian Li Full Armorsuit and Velociraptor - I'll have plenty of room for a new card, should I actually be able to afford one

Sorry, they don't refund any $ with the step up program, the money only goes one way, from you to them.

Back