Nvidia convert Adaptive Vsynch question

Momo

Gawd
hey all, just made the switch to nvidia.

I'm wondering about adaptive vertical synch.

Does the in-game 'vertical synch' box have to be check, in order for adaptive vertical synch to work?

... or does having 'vertical synch' ON in a game revert to using traditional V-synch, and ignores/overrides the Adaptive V-Synch?

Thanks !

Here's a link that does work - HardOCP's review of Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync. That article has the answer to your question:

HardOCP said:
The option to turn on Adaptive VSync is located in the NVIDIA control panel. We have version 301.24 of the driver installed on our system. You will find five options in the drop down box. The first option is "Use the 3D application setting." This means is that the in-game VSync option (if one) takes precedent. The off option forces VSync off in all games and the VSync on option forces it on in all games, no matter the in-game setting. The "Adaptive" option is the one you want to use to enable Adaptive VSync. It doesn't matter whether VSync is off or on in your game, this setting overrides in-game control settings.

Something that article doesn't say is that some games have lots of tearing even when FPS is well below the monitor's refresh rate, so Adaptive Vsync is not always the best solution.

Something that article doesn't say is that some games have lots of tearing even when FPS is well below the monitor's refresh rate, so Adaptive Vsync is not always the best solution.

I would expect there to be tearing below 60fps with adaptive vsync. The idea being that if you can't even manage 60fps, nuances such as tearing become the lesser evil.

Well, in my case, i'm running a gtx680 Superclock 2 by Evga, @ 1920x1200

I'm justplaying SWTOR and Diablo 3 atm, so i guess i'll leave Adaptive vsync on.

If your rig can keep FPS > 60, then Adaptive Vsync is generally the best solution.

Back