NVIDIA Control Panel Stops Responding (I've done a Clean reinstall)

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 980 TI and running the latest drivers on Windows 10 (64 bit). Everytime I try to open the NVIDIA Control Panel, it says:

NVIDIA Control Panel Application, 8.1.820.0 has stopped working

I have uninstalled the drivers and performed a clean install from the driver exe. I have also ran Display driver Uninstaller v15.7.4.1 in safe mode to remove all traces of NVIDIA products and reinstalled.

Any ideas?

mine is very slow and will not respond for about 10 sec but its never crashed on me. Nvidia really needs to fix this turd.

mine is very slow and will not respond for about 10 sec but its never crashed on me. Nvidia really needs to fix this turd.

Its been like that ever since I went with the first Maxwell gpu when the 970/980 launched and has only gotten worse. It was VERY annoying on a regular hard drive but even on an SSD its sluggish. Also the more games that you have the slower it is to get the program settings to open. Now once its launched the first time then its fine until you reboot but really its time for an overhaul on the CP.

Yeah, it's scanning for games and adding the exe's to its database. Horridly slow even on an SSD or a fast RAID, but is better after the first scan through - just let it sit.

Reactions: N!ck
like this
Being slow can be annoying but mine stops responding and crashes within seconds of opening it. What can I do?

Have a look in device manager and see if your card has registered with just the standard microsofr display driver. Could indicate a fault with the card or PCI slot. Had a similar issue before, found out it was using Microsoft driver because GPU had some kind of problem with it being recognized by the motherboard. May not apply to you, just thought to mention it.

Thanks for your suggestion. The device manager shows a 980 TI so all is fine there it seems. I have onboard graphics which I have disabled but that doesn't seem to do anything. The Control Panel use to be fine months ago, I just noticed recently it's not been :(

Try scanning the hard drive for errors - it could be that it is failing (long shot, but possible).

You could also try an older driver to see if it is the newer ones causing you issues.

Also, you might want to set your overclocks back to default values (and RAM speed to default for the motherboard - 1600 for most newer DDR3 boards and 2133 for DDR4) as an unstable overclock could cause problems like the one you are describing.

My shot int he dark / wag - maybe one of the game directories that it is scanning is causing a crash. Can you hide your game folders somehow? Try reporting the actual crash and error message to the GeForce forum. I think this is something ManuelG would help out with to get resolved.

Fixed it. Was a long file name/path found out by ProcessMonitor. Deleting the folder and the file with the long file name fixed it.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
Back