Nvidia Control Panel Scaling question G-sync monitor?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
I have a Dell G-sync monitor, in the Control Panel there is a perform scaling on GPU or Display option. Which do I want to set it to?

Also it gives me an option below it where it says: Override scaling mode set by games and programs. Do I want to check it or no?

I think you can get by with display scaling.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What scaling is is that it basically blows up the image when you're under the recommended resolution. Most monitors can handle that fine nowadays, but if you run into problems you can try GPU scaling.

neither setting matters unless you're using a non-native resolution. GPU > display scaling. override is just so that if a game is, for example, forcing your non-native resolution to be displayed in a way you don't want it to (ex. stretch when you want black bars) you can make it display in whatever way you want.

In general, you only want to do GPU scaling if the monitor has issues with displaying non-native resolutions correctly. As Odellus said it won't matter unless you're using a fullscreen resolution that is not native. Scaling happens so that if you play an old game at 1280x960, for example, it will stretch to the full size of the screen while preserving the aspect ratio (4:3 pillarboxed, in this case).

Generally shouldn't matter at native resolution. At lower resolution display scaling will most likely produce superior results. For example on my old Dell 3008WFP the display scaler got a lot better results than GPU scaling. I recommend you try setting a lower res on the desktop and try both scaling and see which gives you better image quality and if there is any input lag difference that you can notice.

Back