Nvidia cheats on 3DMark with 177.39 drivers

It's been the standard reaction for everything on the Inquirer in regards to the upcoming 48XX.
But it turned to be that they (the Inquirer) were more right than not...:):D
He had a 50% chance of getting it right :rolleyes:, im in ahh for him. But everytime I read his fud I want to do the opposite.:p

"I asked Oliver straight up, “Do you think NVIDIA is cheating.” His answer was clear and concise. No. NVIDIA was not breaking any of the rules that Futuremark has set up for its members of the program, and NVIDIA releasing a non-official driver, which exposes this functionality, does not go against the rules."

Source:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=584&type=expert&pid=3

Yeah. NVIDIA isn't cheating. This thread is mostly a bunch of whiny bitching. End of story.

The driver in question (177.39- Ed.) has not been submitted for authorization and is only for demo purposes.
NVIDIA has followed the correct rules for driver authorization and the BDP by sending us the 177.35 driver (the same as AMD has sent us the 8.6 driver), both of which are currently undergoing the Authorization process in our Quality Assurance area at this moment.
Only drivers that have passed WHQL and our driver Authorization Process have comparable results that will be allowed for use in our ORB database and hall of fame."
Comparable results. Isn't the sole purpose of benchmarking?

So, the driver has not been approved. So, it's still apples to oranges.

It's already been tested with one card in UT3, with massive speedups (~3x) on the PhysX levels. Geez, just read the articles already.

I'm talking about the game engine built from ground-up with heavy physics simulation in mind. Not these games where a tiny bit of PhysX was added at the end just to advertise the cards from Ageia.

"We set up a new system to test to the game in, one with proven hardware which matched the recommended system specs for the PhysX levels, installed the PhysX card and had another look at Unreal Tournament 3. This time round the performance was dramatically improved and the framerates increased to a smoother 25 - 30 FPS, though still with occasional stuttering.

The actual PhysX effects however still looked the same and the look of the game matched our previous opinions;

"Firing three rockets into the planks would often only damage the single plank directly hit, not the planks all around it...if you did hit the plank then the debris which came out was always odd looking. It was all small bits, oddly coloured to be slightly lighter than the surroundings and there was always far, far too many of them.""

I'm talking about the game engine built from ground-up with heavy physics simulation in mind. Not these games where a tiny bit of PhysX was added at the end just to advertise the cards from Ageia.

"We set up a new system to test to the game in, one with proven hardware which matched the recommended system specs for the PhysX levels, installed the PhysX card and had another look at Unreal Tournament 3. This time round the performance was dramatically improved and the framerates increased to a smoother 25 - 30 FPS, though still with occasional stuttering.

The actual PhysX effects however still looked the same and the look of the game matched our previous opinions;

"Firing three rockets into the planks would often only damage the single plank directly hit, not the planks all around it...if you did hit the plank then the debris which came out was always odd looking. It was all small bits, oddly coloured to be slightly lighter than the surroundings and there was always far, far too many of them.""

well, given the current situation, until support ramps up exponentially, it may be a while before devs are willing to build game engines around physx with heavy physics sims. it will probably progress more gradually, with gameplay physics hopefully becoming more prominent as hardware gets faster and more efficient.

Back