nvidia cards have composite in?

Deusfaux

Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
756
I'm switching camps from ATI to nvidia here (an evga 8600 gt superclocked in the interim while I wait for my xfx 8800gtx extreme).... and I dont see anything in the package for the 8600gt that would allow me to continue using the composite out from this VCR which is acting as my tv tuner, to go into the video card.

do nvidia cards not do composite? or just never come with the cable or what? there's an s-video one... but even so, does the card do video in as well? or only video out?

what about the 8800gtx? will that be the same? this is gonna end up costing me more if i haev to buy a seperate capture card
 
Tbh i have not seen any 8-series cards with any kind of video-in at all:(
 
The 7800 series was the last nVidia card to feature VIVO (Video-In/Video-Out) functionality. My guess is the demand for the capability just wasn't enough to justify the cost of including it in their designs. There WERE a couple of third party designs for the 7900 series cards that had VIVO added (I think the board partner was XFX) but since then we've seen literally nothing from nVidia. Meanwhile VIVO is still a standard feature on most AMD/ATI cards...

This is dissapointing for folks like us that actually do a lot of video capture. It means if you want an nVidia card and yet still want to do video capture you'll need a third party dedicated PCI card (or USB dongle) to do so. :( Meh.
 
I think they dropped the VIVO (Video In Video Out) capabilities a while ago. I know I used it a lot on my old TI4400 but most people don't use them as tv cards anymore.
 
awww that sucks.

so I need ATI for the VI in VIVO, yet I need nvidia for the fixed-aspect ratio scaling


god dammit
 
The 7800 series was the last nVidia card to feature VIVO (Video-In/Video-Out) functionality. My guess is the demand for the capability just wasn't enough to justify the cost of including it in their designs. There WERE a couple of third party designs for the 7900 series cards that had VIVO added (I think the board partner was XFX) but since then we've seen literally nothing from nVidia. Meanwhile VIVO is still a standard feature on most AMD/ATI cards...

This is dissapointing for folks like us that actually do a lot of video capture. It means if you want an nVidia card and yet still want to do video capture you'll need a third party dedicated PCI card (or USB dongle) to do so. :( Meh.

yup my XFX 7900 gt has VIVO
 
Well, I am not sure this is true. I have an MSI 8800GTX and I think it came with a puck for the different inputs. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will pull it out and verify. If you look at the pics out at newegg for the MSI800GTX you will see the input above the DVI connector. I think it has a puck/dongle type thingy that has several inputs, like component (RGB), S-Video and such, but not sure about composite. I will check and report back...
 
Well, I am not sure this is true. I have an MSI 8800GTX and I think it came with a puck for the different inputs. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will pull it out and verify. If you look at the pics out at newegg for the MSI800GTX you will see the input above the DVI connector. I think it has a puck/dongle type thingy that has several inputs, like component (RGB), S-Video and such, but not sure about composite. I will check and report back...


Those are not inputs, those are outputs. Just about every nVidia card (and ATI/AMD for that matter) still comes with at least basic VO (Video Out) in the form of S-Video and Composite. Most of them have analogue HD output in the form of Component outputs as well.
 
Yeah, you are right, they are outputs. I have the puck to output to different connectors but no input.
 
Back
Top