NVIDIA Blames AMD for Excess GPU Inventory

The truth is the crypto boom made up vastly more than 10% of their sales, and they lied to their investors that crypto was of minimal impact the last ~ year ---- and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Technically Jensen is correct, because most of the crypto video card purchases came through the retail home consumer market. If a cryptominer buys a dozen video cards from ASUS, those cards aren't counted as crypto purchase, they're counted as home consumer purchases, and ASUS, not NVidia, makes the bulk of the bumped-up profit off of those sales.

Contracts to supply video card chips to card manufacturers have different layers. Card manufacturers agree to buy a certain amount at a fixed price and risk, they agree to buy another amount at a mutual risk with the chip manufacturer, and after that they have options to buy more chips if they desire. During the crypto boom both NVidia and AMD sold out all of their contracts and options and their chips were selling on the no-contract wholesale market. In the past the 'no contract' market was for fly-by-night companies that sold weird, cut rate video cards with strange memory and timing configurations, but during the crypto madness everyone from Gigabyte to EVGA was buying as much of the prosumer grade chips as they could get.

Because AMD had the better cryptocurrency video card, AMD's video card prices during the crypto craze were far beyond their competitive value as a consumer grade video card. When the crypto craze started to burn out NVidia was already winding down some of their production in preparation for the RTX 2XXX launch, but AMD wasn't. They had no reason to, they had made their money and were up on their profit projections. Since they had no new cards in the pipeline, their options were to make as much good/great money for as long as possible and then limp along until they had new product, or make only average money because they cut production, and then limp along until they had new product. If I understand it correctly, all the money lost to overstock is on the card suppliers, not AMD.

So that's why the new cards are so expe dive now? To help sell off all the old card stock.

All I want is for him to define what a midrange GPU is. Then I will know what stock he is talking about.

Sir, Cryptocurrency is the new hotness!

Jensen "Start up the Fabs, have them making silicon 24/7, to hell with sleep!". "Those Jackets don't make themselves!"

6 months later:

Sir, Cryptocurrency has crashed.

Jensen: "Shit........Lisa!!!!"

All I want is for him to define what a midrange GPU is. Then I will know what stock he is talking about.

Every gpu is a mid-range gpu at Nvidia except a Titian and professional cards. They had like a shit ton of 1080 boards they made for mining that ended up being used for 1060's to save money and lessen high-end card inventory.

Sir, Cryptocurrency is the new hotness!

Jensen "Start up the Fabs, have them making silicon 24/7, to hell with sleep!".

6 months later:

Sir, Cryptocurrency has crashed.

Jensen: Shit........Lisa!!!!
There's some revisionist history. Go back to first quarter of this year and half the forum was complaining that Nvidia *wasn't* increasing production because $1000 1080Tis were a thing. "Why don't they just make more cards" was every other post. They never did increase production while AMD doubled down (probably the correct move for both companies).

Last edited:
There's some revisionist history. The first quarter of this year was nothing but whining here about $1000 1080Tis and that they were *not* increasing production-- "why doesn't Nvidia just make more cards". The reality is they never did increase production, while AMD doubled down (whether that was good or bad for them is another topic).

Then Nvidia doubled down and said, screw it, people complaining about $1000 dollar cards, you say? Hold my beer, have a $1200 dollar card! (That may catch fire.)

AMD saturating the market with low-mid range cards is a good thing. They know who will buy them. And most people shop for price, no matter what.

I don't know. The jacket and his attitude could fool me.

Don't confuse "idiot" with "asshole." Jensen has demonstrated many times over that he is not an idiot. There is a reason nVidia is where it is today. He has also demonstrated many times over that he is a completely ruthless businessman - in other words, an asshole.

The attitude and jacket are just icing on the asshole cake.

Pfft, thats just the long way of saying they are getting squeezed in price with the RX series. RXs are cheap now, I see then routinely below MSRP. 4gb and 8gb rx580 can be found for cheap.

Every gpu is a mid-range gpu at Nvidia except a Titian and professional cards. They had like a shit ton of 1080 boards they made for mining that ended up being used for 1060's to save money and lessen high-end card inventory.
I don't get why it would be 1080's they have excess of. It was the ONE Nvidia card not to buy for crypto mining. They still sold because of lack of any other inventory, but there was no mining scenario where a 1080 excelled over other cards. So why the hoop-la over 1080's?

I don't get why it would be 1080's they have excess of. It was the ONE Nvidia card not to buy for crypto mining. They still sold because of lack of any other inventory, but there was no mining scenario where a 1080 excelled over other cards. So why the hoop-la over 1080's?

Who knows, I read some of the things leather jacket had to say in regards to this whole debacle that caused the stock to lose a lot of value and it seems to all be corporate speech to shift the blame on to anything but Nvidia.
I don't know if the boards would have been used for 1080's but they where the same boards that where used for 1080's if I remember correctly and they had a shit ton of them.

LOL that pretty funny. Here is something to think about. There are more AMD gpu's in peoples homes than Nvidias gpu's. Overcharge and eventually you will have problems. I mean look at Intel now! AMD is fuckin peoples markets up.

Everyone right now has an equivalent to a GTX 1060 or a RX 580. If you have a R9 290 then you have this level of performance, or a GTX 970, or GTX 980, and etc. Since the crypto market fell apart a lot of those people are now selling them for cheap. I should know I bought a RX 470 for my HTPC cause why not? Since AMD did far better in the crypto craze, then their cards are selling for dirt cheap right now. Doesn't help that AMD released the RX 590 for $280 when it's just an overclocked RX 580, which is just an overclocked RX 480.

Just lower prices already and deal with your mediocrity in the mainstream products. People with a GTX 970 aren't going to upgrade to the GTX 1060, but Nvidia just keeps making faster more expensive RTX cards that 90% of people don't buy. AMD is kidding themselves if they think the RX 590's higher price is justified over the now much cheaper used RX 480's and 580's hitting the market. It also doesn't help that game developers are still making games for the lowest common denominator which are consoles. Anything equivalent to a GTX 1060 (which is a lot) is going to play games just fine at 1080p until the PS5 or Xbox Two is out.

What he's saying is, we need to lower 1080 prices to compete but we WLL NOT do that since we already acquired and had the cards produced at a certain price and we planned on and provided guidance to our stockholders what our estimated profit margin would be so by golly we aren't lowering prices which means we have a glut of 1080s to sell for the next 12 weeks.

This is one of those time when it would be better if NVidia wasn't a publicly traded company. A private company with no one to please but it's own board and needs could simply ACCEPT the raging comeback attempt of AMD and cut it off at the knees by immediately making a 1080 cost the same as a 580 and end the entire debate right there.

But a price war would practically cripple the slope on their meteoric profit chart from the crypto heyday.

This is all really stupid. We could actually end up watch both team green and team red nearly go under over next couple of years because of profit reports and public stock. BOTH of their graphics divisions need to act like engineering and innovation companies again at least for a while. They're forgetting that the reason IS graphics cards.

Lmao @ nvidia soon to be ex CEO. Time to hire a new one. You fail dawg just like the dawgs. Roll tide.

I also found that weird. Perhaps they increased volume of them without a good understanding of the crypto market?

Proof is in the pudding: https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-gtx-1060-with-gddr5x-memory-confirmed-to-use-gp104-gpu
They are making 1060s now with 1080s lol.
Remember though in the early days there as only really 1080s and 1070s and Tis...

This is inevitable, movidius already is doing this and chiplets from AMD are going to push it further.

Well that and every cloud provider rolling their own as well since the GPUs are so overpriced that it is cheaper for them to design, debug, fab, and write the software infrastructure than to buy GPU cards in quantities.

Dear Jensen Huang
Because your forum accounts always play the blame it on AMD card when pricing and sales and stuff does not mean it will work in real life.
Your company was more obsessed with The Geforce Partner Program and developing NDA then your sound business plans.
You struck out this time be a good boy instead of a petulant child and take it on the chin. Just say my bad we will work harder ....

It appears there was hundreds of thousands of GPU's slotted for mining from Nvidia while the Gaming cards/market was bone dry with way over the top pricing. Plus if I remember right Nvidia made of a show of being concerned about the gamer and availability of cards to the gamer. In a nutshell - dishonesty it seems comes naturally with Nvidia or anything said is good if it sells regardless if accurate or truthful.

Seems like the only time Nvidia will reduce pricing, even on obsolete cards is when AMD(previously ATi) starts outselling them or has rapidly rising sales.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Jensen is a lot of things, but he's not an idiot.

I agree, but this is a rare situation for him to be in and he is handling it very poorly. It does expose his limitations as a leader.

Any decent CEO/President of a company would have seen this coming a long time before it happened and taken steps to mitigate the impact. Hell, I saw it coming and I am just a cog in the wheel.

Everyone right now has an equivalent to a GTX 1060 or a RX 580. If you have a R9 290 then you have this level of performance, or a GTX 970, or GTX 980, and etc. Since the crypto market fell apart a lot of those people are now selling them for cheap. I should know I bought a RX 470 for my HTPC cause why not? Since AMD did far better in the crypto craze, then their cards are selling for dirt cheap right now. Doesn't help that AMD released the RX 590 for $280 when it's just an overclocked RX 580, which is just an overclocked RX 480.

Just lower prices already and deal with your mediocrity in the mainstream products. People with a GTX 970 aren't going to upgrade to the GTX 1060, but Nvidia just keeps making faster more expensive RTX cards that 90% of people don't buy. AMD is kidding themselves if they think the RX 590's higher price is justified over the now much cheaper used RX 480's and 580's hitting the market. It also doesn't help that game developers are still making games for the lowest common denominator which are consoles. Anything equivalent to a GTX 1060 (which is a lot) is going to play games just fine at 1080p until the PS5 or Xbox Two is out.
Well said. I have a GTX 970. Buying a 1060 or 580 just empties my wallet of money with no improvements for me. I'm not a huge gamer and am not going to spend a a ton of cash on a GPU - I'll say my limit is going to be about $300.

ok.. i just got up so maybe i don't quite get what he said.. but....

what the hell is he talking about??!!! 1080 is the #1 selling gpu?? really? i assume he means 1060? and then what the hell does that have to do with amd??

i assume he means 1060? and then what the hell does that have to do with amd??

he probably means 1060, and maybe that "inventory 90:10" might have been how they initially thought the GTX1060 would be outselling the RX580 ... but it has been closer to 50:50, which is now AMD fault because it was not expected they could produce that many 580's :) ?

Hahaha... Oh this story is just TOO rich. Of course Nvidia would blame anyone other than themselves. Waaa good competition at mainstream products means I can't sell my overpriced GPUs!

As if I needed any more convincing to not buy from Nvidia again next year. Until the marketshare stabilizes - which we desperately need - I'll keep buying $300 products from AMD. Looking forward to Navi, regardless of what Nvidia offers. I just no longer feel comfortable giving them my money. The past 12 months have been so, so revealing.

What? You didn't order a plane full of 2080tis.

No, if you read the article about it, he ordered 3, of which two failed in fast succession.

The Crypto fad was dying before the release of the 2080ti, also; a planeload of them would make no sense financially; the RTI would be on the order of the heat death of the universe.

Reactions: noko
like this
Ah, well that makes sense, what with all the 1060s with GDDR5x they are pumping out. Mystery solved.

Imagine this in the corporate world:

"He explained that since he was the best employee, on the best team in the company and brought in 9 times more sales than what the best guy on the other team can muster. Both he and the best guy on the other team found out that the boss likes fast cars. So he and most of his team bought the most over the top cars they can buy to impress their boss. The other team kept chugging along and maybe a few of them got slightly fancier cars but nothing special. He's just concerned that if the other team suddenly even gets slightly fancier cars, it would make it harder to impress the boss, who has had a waning interest in fast cars."

I'm not overpaying on a underwhelming product just because the competition is a bit stagnant I did that already on my i3 Skylake CPU not happening again on a more important PC component. Pascal was too expensive and underwhelming in relation to Maxwell when it launched time hasn't changed that fact at all. I felt that from the start and felt it from the start. At one point I might've been desperate enough to consider it then the cryptocurrency wave hit and I was like NOPE! By the time that fizzled out I no longer care too much 7nm isn't so far off I may as well wait or just grab a GPU second hand on ebay that are being pawned off for cheap by bitcoin miners cashing out that have made their profits and no longer have need for the used hardware itself.

The GTX 1080 needs to drop down to more like $400's to get taken seriously and the 1070/1060's need to drop down $25-50's down the line as well. Right now they have oversupply because Nvidia is still trying to milk consumers on a GPU competition drought that's been on going. They risk not only losing sales, but market penetration if they keep on keeping on as Intel would do and refuse to drop prices on old merchandise that isn't selling well despite newer hardware being introduced. I'd expect AMD's software drivers to improve a touch if market share happens to increase a fair amount that gives them lots of viable information to gather on area's to improve the software for their hardware. As it is Nvidia's software drivers have been on the decline in relation to AMD if I'm not mistaken partly due to console optimization which they have a uphill battle against.

Reactions: noko
like this
His statement makes no sense. If AMD cut prices to sell their cards and he didn't I could understand how AMD would cause NVIDIA to have excess inventory, but that doesn't seem to be the case as AMD also has excess inventory.

I've got a hint for NVIDIA: cut prices and product will sell.

This to infinity and beyond.

Back