NVIDIA Announces Quadro GV100

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by rgMekanic, Mar 27, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Today at the GTC NVIDIA announced the new, Volta-powered Quadro GV100. The new card features 32GB of HBM2 memory, 5120 CUDA cores, 640 Tensor cores, and 29.6 TFLOPS of FP16 performance in a 250w package. The Quadro GV100 is available now direct from NVIDIA for $8999.00.

I think my favorite part is the "NVIDIA VR Ready" on the product page. Incredible performance for 250w, but I imagine it will be some time, if ever that we see anything that looks like a gaming benchmark on this card.

NVIDIA also heavily promoted the idea of using two of these GV100 cards in one system, utilizing NVLink. Considering the lack of NVLink support for the TITAN V, this is also the first time we've seen a Volta card with display outputs supporting NVLink in more standard workstations.

2. HaloSVT

HaloSVT n00b

OH F*CK YOU NVIDIA

AlphaQup, Sufu, Nukester and 9 others like this.
  3. DigitalPanhandler

DigitalPanhandler Limp Gawd

only 9g's? sec ima go check my pants, think I got some change layin around....

Travolta likes this.
  4. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

If AMD hadn't derailed RTG, and crypto didn't create a black hole for gpus, this would have been our $499 GTX 1180. Now where's Rick's portal gone, that's the dimension I want to live in. Instead: consumer pounds sand.

steakman1971, Nunu, Nukester and 2 others like this.
  5. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Fantastic.

Must really suck that the competition has been releasing new cards regularly and you can't manage to release anything competitive.

You can hate Nvidia all you want, but they are putting their money where their mouth is and releasing great cards. All the negative and anticompetitive things you guys always go on about don't make AMD cards bad, the company does.

Note: I have owned all major manufacturers at one point or another.. 3dfx, Matrix, S3, ATI and Nvidia. AMD is just lucky that they are the only other viable graphics card producer or they would have been bought out years ago.

6. RAutrey

RAutrey [H]ard|Gawd

7. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

8. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

2+2=LAUGHIN AT YOU

TitaniumLizzard likes this.
  9. rgMekanic

10. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

9's are divisible by 3, there's 3 of them and 8 - 5 is 3! Hl3 confirmed, thanks nVidia.

Mav451, tungt88, Travolta and 12 others like this.
  11. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Concrete maths.

12. ChadD

ChadD [H]ardness Supreme

Well there isn't really anything odd here. When NV sticks a VR marketing sticker on a Quadro card they are not talking about Doom VR or Star trek Bridge crew. They are talking about pro applications. Having said that I doubt any one is buying this for VR use of any kind.

The selling point on this card is 50% the amount of memory on board. AMD believe it or not has sold a lot of workstation Radeon Pro cards the last year or so on the back of having 32gb cards. When it comes to most pro use AMDs performance in opencl is actually very competitive. (superior really in many Pro software packages) They have been selling a 32GB card forawhile now. This is the first 32gb NV Quadro I'm aware of.

Nvidia released this card for one and one reason only..... Radeon Pro SSG.

Which is still the far superior card. Yes NV clocks in at around 4-6Tflops more in claimed performance. AMDs superior OpenCL implementation means that isn't really all that big a deal. The SSG however has 2 TB of SSD onboard storage which for the markets a $7-8k card is aimed is FAR more useful then 29.6Tflops(NV GV100) vs 24.6Tflops (AMD radeon Pro SSG). Now factor in the AMD card is 2-3 thousand cheaper and I'm not even sure what NV is thinking other then keeping Volta still held back a bit to protect margins on the server parts.

Really I'm not sure how attractive this card is to the pro market at the price NV is asking when AMDs non SSG 9100 32GB sells for around 3k. So if you want almost = paper performance and much closer performance in pro applications with = ram and power draw the Radeon is 1/3 the cost. If you have the money to burn you can get the AMD SSG which will let you load entire massive Hollywood style digital sets onto the card and STILL save a few grand.

People have been asking why NV is so keen to lock down gaming brands for themselves right now... its simple in other markets NV doesn't dominate in the way a gamer would assume.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  13. HaloSVT

HaloSVT n00b

BRAH I dont do that AMD garbage.Im pissed because they WONT release new consumer cards and instead release this overpriced bullshit.

14. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

The last high end gaming GPU release from Nvidia was over a year ago with the 1080Ti... Which was just a cut down version of the Titan X that had been out seven months before the 1080 Ti. The 1080 was released over 2 years ago. What regular gpu releases are you talking about because it seems to me that Nvidia has been coasting for quite some time. Unless you're counting the stupid ass 1070Ti as a new gpu.

Vercinaigh and rgMekanic like this.
  15. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Your right, it's volta, the answer is probably 2.

auntjemima likes this.
  16. aokman

aokman Gawd

Ahhhh the HardOCP bipolar mentalities...

Fark still no new cards, I am really getting great value for money out of my Titan X / 1080Ti

Farking NVIDIA, I only just got my 1080Ti and now its worth peanuts with new models announced.

Seriously cry me a river when our current hardware cant drive current games. My Titan X is coming up on 2 yrs old now and its still current bahahah. Money well spent.

17. castlefire

castlefire n00b

i bet linus all ready bought one

Armenius likes this.
  18. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Well TBH AFAIK the Quadro's have always been ridiculously expensive. That sticker shock has been there for awhile. You can usually count on them to make a Titan look cheap. I remember looking at Titan Z's a couple of years ago and coming across the Quadro listings and my jaw dropped.

Armenius likes this.
  19. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

I'll run out and buy two. I'm sure I can think of something to do with those tensor cores. Oh wait, didn't they put the radix point one place too far to the right?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  20. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

Well right now it's 4.01, and right now it's 3.98 and right now it's 3.997 and right now it's 4.00013...

HoffY, TitaniumLizzard and Armenius like this.
  21. profiled

profiled Limp Gawd

:sour: price for sli support is getting out of hand

sli_getting_expensive.JPG

Stryker7314, Sufu, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  22. myterrybear

myterrybear n00b

BUUUTTTTTT .... IF you sigh the GPP agreement you will get the cards for ONLY $5,999 ...... ;)

Stryker7314 likes this.
  23. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

quadros make me sad. they never get to a competitively cheap level. firepros eventually make it to the used market sometimes more competitive with the consumer cards but never for the quadros. and where are the beast dual chip quadros? amd atleast has the decency to release 400w dual gpu monsters.

24. chili dog

chili dog Limp Gawd

Where's the backplate?

25. rgMekanic

Buy more save more

tungt88, lazz, SomeoneElse and 2 others like this.
  26. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Casey_Buy_More_new_guy.png

27. viivo

viivo [H]ard|Gawd

This is a strange response to a product designed for a specific market. People aren't buying these at Best Buy and putting them in their LED-slathered Cooler Master cases. They're for professionals and in many cases are bought by employers for their company's workstations.

Solhokuten and Armenius like this.
  28. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

True, but if ChadD is correct in his assessment then it doesn't seem to make much sense in that market either.

Nukester likes this.
  29. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

You seem to confuse GeForce with TESLA/QUADRO...it's not rocket-science.

Google might help you...

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  30. Factum

Factum [H]ard|Gawd

Is the your first SKU release?
    If yes....try looking at the past....nothing new here.

If no....seek medical attention as your memory is failing....bad!

31. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Ya know, with the price of gaming cards these days, the price on a new Quadro doesn't seem so unreasonable anymore!

Armenius and Silentbob343 like this.
  32. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

That's sad!

lostinseganet likes this.
  33. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Not a professional card buyer by any means but $10K for the new card does seem a bit overpriced. Am I wrong here? I remember when the Quadro cards were $5,000.00 and that was the cream of the crop. Is this the trend or something Nvidia decided it was going to toss out there and test a new higher price for these cards?

34. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

When a licence for the CAD software you use can hit 17k (with 20% maintenance per annum) then a one time fee of 10k isn't a big deal if the performance delta is there. The more simulations you can crank out in a day, the more you can tweak your design, for instance.

Factum, GoldenTiger, AlphaQup and 3 others like this.
  35. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I totally agree. Many people get used to the consumer tier of things, $20-$50 here or there for an app maybe even an annual license. Most never see the higher end professional solutions or their costs. I remember in the nineties/early 2000's seeing the annual fees for Avid and being floored by that. It's another world most will barely ever be aware of.

Factum and Armenius like this.
  36. chenw

chenw 2[H]4U

Actually even with $9k cards, it's still not as bad as software.

In my work, my company licenses quite a lot of software, one of which is critical as it is our design software that all of our products start from, with bulk discount (~50%), that still comes out at $16k a year PER PERSON.

Even the very high end workstation hardware costs pennies compared to that license.

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  37. Creig

Creig Gawd

I find it hilarious every time someone blames AMD for the price of Nvidia cards. Nvidia sets the prices for Nvidia cards. AMD sets the prices for AMD cards. End of story. You don't like the price of Nvidia cards? STOP BUYING THEM. Nothing sends a clearer message to a manufacturer than a warehouse full of product that isn't selling. But if you instead choose to pony up Nvidia's asking price for their cards, then you have no one to blame but yourself for supporting them and their pricing.

38. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

I'm curious. How well do Quadros mine compared to GeForce's?

39. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

Given how much our new laser 3d scanner is gonna cost (just a casual $80k or so), I've been innoculated to sticker shock. Bargain.

Armenius likes this.
  40. 50Cal

50Cal Limp Gawd

ummm wut? You might want to learn Nvidia's typical release schedule.

God, these recent "xXxSniperxXx Gamhurrrrrss" coming into the tech field and forums are disgustingly undereducated on the subject of technology. They need to spend a little less time watching click-bait youtubers and a bit more time actually working with the tech.

Factum, tungt88 and GoldenTiger like this.