NVIDIA and its own Eyefinity?

My next video card will have "Eyefinity" Technology

• AMD ATI HD 5899 Series all the way, no others!

Votes: 143 39.8%
  • Fermi with "nFinity?" It has to be!

Votes: 94 26.2%
  • I do not care about this multi-monitor gaming crap.

Votes: 140 39.0%
  • 3D Vision is all I need, and this lamp.

Votes: 29 8.1%

• Total voters

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So how many of you here think that NVIDIA needs to follow AMD on the Eyefinity front? The new Fermi GPU can do it. Actually, it is likely the NVIDIA card you have right now can do it, but it has been a Quadro only feature for years.

I think they ought to add that feature also.

I thought you'd put 3D Vision is all I need, and this lamp
as 3D Vision is all I need, and this Thermos :)

I think it's pretty cool. I mean, I've heard someone describe it as sort of a "Gee whiz," kind of thing. And I'd agree. It's like the thing I'd go over to my friend's house for, but not something I'd ever seriously consider doing myself. I don't even have the desk space for such a thing, much less the money or the real desire to do it. But I guess if it makes NVIDIA more competitive it would be a good thing for everyone.

P.S. "nFinity". LOL.

There's no valid poll option for me. It's not "crap" but Eyefinity in its current state certainly doesn't appeal to me. Multiple monitor options have to be seamless and integrated with the gaming experience. If it detracts in any way due to bezels, poorly positioned on-screen info, distorted FOV etc it is a net loss.

There's no valid poll option for me. It's not "crap" but Eyefinity in its current state certainly doesn't appeal to me. Multiple monitor options have to be seamless and integrated with the gaming experience. If it detracts in any way due to bezels, poorly positioned on-screen info, distorted FOV etc it is a net loss.

don't you think software support will be more robust now that the hardware support is there?

Just like everyone with a HD5800 series won't use it, the option is there.

At first it seems like an extreme luxury, even though our hobby is a luxury. But, when real gamers begin to use eyefinity, (tf2 example on H review) players using multi screen setups will have an EXTREAM advantage. They will have larger spectrum area of the environment. Thus, see you first, and kill you. So once gamers start using it then it will be an necessity in order to compete.

3D Vision sucks, proper multimonitor action for the masses!
/multimonitor lover with a bad right eye, FUCK YOU AND YOUR STEREOGRAMS :(

um, if Nvidia offers convenient application of multi-monitor setups then it will come down to which ever card offers the best price/performance ratio. If the 5000 series outshines the 300 series then I'll go with ATI. If the 300 series outshines the 5000 while offering a competitive price/performance ratio, I'll go with Nvidia. As of now, the 3d vision won't be a factor for me as I would like to wait a bit to see if it becomes more popular before purchasing the extra gear to utilize it

I'm really hoping AMD eventually releases a "Radeon HD 5899 Kyle Bennett Edition", with labeling on the box indicating that it's 29 better than the 5870 and 49 better than the 5850. I'd buy it.

I don't see why you couldn't do it on current GeForce cards with a simple driver hack. Just download the Quadro drivers, modify the .ini so it allows it to install with your cards, install. You should be able to do it on your GeForce now. Granted, you would have to use Quadro drivers though which aren't made for speed in 3D applications.

This. AMD should be selling bezelless LCDs. Once it takes off they'd make a killing.

I read somewhere (I cant find it, between school and this I read tons) that samsung and ATI are going to work together to make that happen. I could be wrong.

yeah I might be interested if there was no bezel and it was seamless... but I realize it might not be as big a deal once you experience it for real. All in all though, I don't see it becoming big with most gamers and I think it's kind of a waste of time/resources. I'd rather see wider screens or better/cheaper VR goggles or something.

also, can't multiplayer servers just block thsoe with multi-monitor or super wide resolutions, if they think it's unfair advantage?

If the card can do it, why leave it out?
After all that Nvidia has done for gamers would they leave out an evolutionary feature? Especially considering the competition?
But then again the did get rid of my beloved system tray icon that made choosing features so fast and convenient.

lol you can pick all the options. I want triple-screens and 3d please, why should I only have one?

Obviously it would be good for nvidia to introduce nFinity, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't do it soon.

As is becoming obvious with eye infinity, it really needs developers to support it to make it work properly. That's about ten times more likely to happen if it's available on nvidia as well as ati.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that many games will not have an adjustable FOV. Hell some games still don't get a widescreen FoV on release *cough*Farcry2*cough*Ubisoft*

I'm not very enthusiastic about multi-monitor gaming at this point.This trend seems like an extremely expensive implementation of an extra atmosphere effect, that not very many games will utilize to it's full potential.

also, can't multiplayer servers just block thsoe with multi-monitor or super wide resolutions, if they think it's unfair advantage?

:rolleyes: perhaps they can, but are you foolish enough to think they will?

that's a very slippery slope. if they did that, then all the kids at 16x10 will whine that the 25x16 players have an unfair advantage, and the kids who can't get better than 45 FPS will whine that the players on a 120 Hz CRT have an unfair advantage, and the kids playing on 5-year-old hardware will whine that the people who have brand new hardware have an unfair advantage, and all the kids born with average intelligence and reflexes will whine that the kids born with superior intelligence and reflexes have an unfair advantage...

life's unfair, and business rarely panders to the less fortunate (especially when it's the more fortunate people who're likely to bring them repeat business, not to mention purchase the software instead of pirate it).

I certainly believe that given today's monitor prices that NVIDIA needs to step up to the plate and offer a feature that is very similar if not exactly like Eyefinity. Granted multi-monitor gaming isn't for everyone but when you can buy 23" LCD's for $199.99 each I think that it is a fairly compelling solution.

You forgot us old farts whinning about them young whipper snappers and their lightning reflexs! :D

You forgot us old farts whinning about them young whipper snappers and their lightning reflexs! :D

LOL... i don't buy that one though, since the younger gamers are usually either potheads or so loaded on caffeine that they react to shit that isn't there.

Voted for a big 0 on multi-monitor gaming. I mean, it's nice, and it does seem like a "It's about time" tech, but really, while nice, I don't see myself buying multiple monitors (and dealing with bezels and shaky compatibility/configuration) when I can get one bigger screen or projector instead, and be plug-n-play.

TO ME, it seems to be the same argument for/against multi gpu setups.

I certainly believe that given today's monitor prices that NVIDIA needs to step up to the plate and offer a feature that is very similar if not exactly like Eyefinity. Granted multi-monitor gaming isn't for everyone but when you can buy 23" LCD's for $199.99 each I think that it is a fairly compelling solution.

Actually, I just saw Newegg's 72hr deal for 21.5" 1080p monitors for $140 I think? That's alot of pixels for rediculously cheap. Just think what BlackFriday may bring us this year.

Well if I choose to go with an Eyefinity setup, it won't be cheap. I will get two more 30" Dell monitors for my setup.

I most likely will be getting a 5850 or 5870... Nvidia has lost future business with me unless the unblock PhysX on their cards if another card is installed in the system...

And if nVidia doesn't have a similiar feature for their new cards, I am betting it will hurt their sales by a fair amount.

Is this a guess as to your experience or have you used it? I had some issues with it as well...then I used it for a week and loved it. What bezels?

I read somewhere (I cant find it, between school and this I read tons) that samsung and ATI are going to work together to make that happen. I could be wrong.

Yeah, Samsung already has what they call "ultra-thin" bezel displays. However they are currently only offered at a 42' size... Hmmm... just imagine that...

On a more serious note though... It won't be that expensive to go with three decent monitors... the Dell Professional P2210H that was referred to in the Eyefinity article is only $199... so $600 for this setup isn't bad. I have a 24" monitor now and it was almost $400 when I got it.

In regards to the main topic of the forum. I think I will wait, at the very least, until the "Eyefinity" versions of the HD5000 series become available and that CrossFireX issues have been resolved.

Do I think nVidia should offer the same features?.. They'd be stupid not to. Especially if they are capable of doing so. Also, as far as the 3D vision is concerned. I think it's a stupid idea. Who wants to wear some specialty glasses that will only work with a few games? At least with Eyefinity the only thing that needs to happen is developers need to release a patch to add new rez settings and possibly allow for HUD customization. Then again, someone in the MOD community will probably do it if the developers won't. I do think that multiple monitor setups are the way to go not just for gaming but for everything. As I said, I have a 24" monitor now and find myself wanting more real estate. My only concern is that when the new monitors come out they will be over priced and make the setup unrealistic. However, if they are able to release the thin bezel monitors with competing prices then I think Eyefinity or nFinity could be a real success. I really don't care which card is in my machine as long as it does what it says it will, is stable, and gives me the performance I want at a reasonable price point.

After watching the video review you did Kyle, and seeing the difference in the racing games, HOLY CRAP. I WANT IT. And Nvidia should support it. Like you said, what bezels? The immersion of speed looks amazing.

Actually, I just saw Newegg's 72hr deal for 21.5" 1080p monitors for $140 I think? That's alot of pixels for rediculously cheap. Just think what BlackFriday may bring us this year.

Currently Newegg only carries one display with a DisplayPort. SO to use 3 monitors you would either have to get three of those or look somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love Newegg, but right now they don't have enough to choose from in regards to monitors that support Eyefinity.

Don't care for multi-monitor gaming. Already have a 30" monitor and I highly prefer not having big plastic bezels breaking up my view space. Monitors designed for this purpose would help but I'd still prefer one contiguous screen.

nvidia has had a similar thing to eyefinity since last years siggraph, called mosaic which already
supports bezel removal and various fun features.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/qplex_display_configurations.html

the biggest bonus from this sort of config is the ability to scale applications which would typically
limit themselves to the primary monitor on large format multi-projector displays. i build and work with
alot of these types of systems and i can say it is handy in a scientific setting at least. i have deployed
nvidia hardware for years for various tiled lcd walls and rear projected walls. i can say that im looking
forward to driving 24 dell 30s or more on an almost consumer grade system as compared to having to
shell out 40k or more for two quadroplexes and a du-hic card. we maxed out at a 3x3 on a single
host system a few years back at the supercomputing conference.

eye finity is not a new technology, or a new concept. I can't BELIEVE that [H] has been so impressed by it - while I understand the implementation is good, ATI is nowhere close to an innovator in this technology. There are free programs available that will allow you to render on multiple displays, just like eyefinity, for free, with any GPU capable of pushing that many pixels (both nvidia and ati's previous gen GPUs are capable of this, albeit at lower frame rates)

Yes, ATI brought this technology closer to the mainstream, but it isn't anything new, and I don't think Nvidia is concerned about it in the slightest. I believe they will quietly offer the same multi-mon rendering options, while also offering 3d vision. Like your news article said, this tech has been around and implemented on quatro GPUs without 3rd party software. ATI is pretending like they've broken new ground, when really, they've just refreshed an idea that's been around for a long time, and made it easier for the average "enthusiast" to implement.

I'm no Nvidia or ATI fanboy - I just want real innovation.

Picked #3 by default, mostly because I can only go vertical with my current setup to make things not be stupidly widescreen, and I don't really want to go vertical.

As for the 3D, as it is it will be impossibly difficult for Nvidia to properly support a lot of games making the move to Deferred Rendering/Shaders, let alone properly support older games that make different uses of the depth buffer for rendering than what Nvidia's stuff expects. For this to even be practical, Nvidia will have to have developers support a very specific render path that gives the depth buffer the very specific information Nvidia needs for their tech. It's just not going to happen.

lol you can pick all the options. I want triple-screens and 3d please, why should I only have one?

Obviously it would be good for nvidia to introduce nFinity, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't do it soon.

As is becoming obvious with eye infinity, it really needs developers to support it to make it work properly. That's about ten times more likely to happen if it's available on nvidia as well as ati.

I agree. I would get out of retirement and go back to work. I kept my asus G256 with 3D glasses as a souvenir from days passed, remember enjoying them in the first Battlefield series.

too true unfortunately. Hopefully we'll have some cost effective active DP to DVI adapters soon (I imagine sooner now with Ifinity) and not have to worry much about that.

Back