Nvidia 9800GX2 or ATI 4870, which one to pick?

Yeah, Ive been through some of the X2 threads where you posted on your issues. Unfortunate for you and I can understand why you would consider ATI's drivers horrible, but then again not everyone is having those issues and they will come up with totally different conclusions. Seems to me that the drivers and the X2 seem to be a bit picky in regards to the system its installed on. Im sure that will improve over time.

I've actually tried the 4870 X2 on another machine of mine with great success. I know that the issues I'm having are unusual, but I've never experienced issues with NVIDIA drivers anywhere NEAR the same degree of problems. Even on the same system.

I've actually tried the 4870 X2 on another machine of mine with great success. I know that the issues I'm having are unusual, but I've never experienced issues with NVIDIA drivers anywhere NEAR the same degree of problems. Even on the same system.

But that isnt indicative of everyone. There are those that have encountered many NV driver related problems that were just as bad. Just because your exp wasnt positive, doesnt mean that generally speaking ATI drivers are horible and the same could be said for NV drivers

But that isnt indicative of everyone. There are those that have encountered many NV driver related problems that were just as bad. Just because your exp wasnt positive, doesnt mean that generally speaking ATI drivers are horible and the same could be said for NV drivers

It's my experience only. I never said that was indicative of everyone's experiences.

angelus: like I said, I don't just use one website for benchmarks. Look at anandtech and tigerdirect, both show over 15+ more fps for the 4870 in CoD4 unless it's cranked up all the way to 2560x1600.

angelus: like I said, I don't just use one website for benchmarks. Look at anandtech and tigerdirect, both show over 15+ more fps for the 4870 in CoD4 unless it's cranked up all the way to 2560x1600.

You should really read HardOCP's article in regards to benchmarking. There's a reason why I tend to go with their numbers.

id say 4870

the rv770 architecture has more potential in future games, id say

and when a game is coded properly for that architecture, it absolutely flies

GRID? it ties with the GTX280..I dont think theres a game where the 4870 would be that far behind the GTX260

but honestly, you'd be fine with either the 4870 or the GTX260. Depends on the games you play as well. just look around and if you see a really good deal, get it

You should really read HardOCP's article in regards to benchmarking. There's a reason why I tend to go with their numbers.

Indeed. Even with different hardware I generally get comparable results with the same video cards.

of course I've read it, but that does not mean all other review sites are incompetent in getting benchmarks. You should always have more than one source for information.

I've always equated hardocp's video reviews with a friend telling telling you about his new video card; I wouldn't rely on them as the final say.

In regards to the OP's question, definitely the 4870 over the 9800GX2. If you're throwing a GTX260 into the mix, you can't go wrong with either card. I went with my 4870 because I liked its feature set better and it generally seemed to have better performance. Also, the card is very easily tweaked via the BIOS and ATI Tray Tools, which I thought was great too. For instance, right now I have it idling at 7C above room temperature on 25% fan speed, which is dead silent :).

of course I've read it, but that does not mean all other review sites are incompetent in getting benchmarks. You should always have more than one source for information.

Well I'm telling you from experience that the performance I get from the hardware that I work on resembles HardOCP numbers, not the other sites. Those other sites are the ones who claimed that the 3870x2 was the fastest card when it first came out...

I've always equated hardocp's video reviews with a friend telling telling you about his new video card; I wouldn't rely on them as the final say.

Okay, so you would equate other reviews to what? Computer hardware isn't really the field where you can try everything first hand (unless you're rich, in which case, can I have a second 4870x2 for CrossFire X?).

Well I'm telling you from experience that the performance I get from the hardware that I work on resembles HardOCP numbers, not the other sites. Those other sites are the ones who claimed that the 3870x2 was the fastest card when it first came out...

Exactly.

OP, get whatever one you can get a better deal on, end of story.

I'm getting a 260. Want to know why? Step up program. For me, the 260 is the deal.

Both cards are close to identical.

What is that supposed to mean? Do you seriously believe that we are biased against ATI cards or something? I recommend whatever hardware is better in either absolute performance or better bang for your buck depending on what people are actually looking for. The 9800GX2 is a benchmark whore. The cards actual performance isn't all that impressive. It suffers from lack of memory bandwidth and actual memory per GPU. The card doesn't do well at high resolutions when AA and AF are enabled most likely due to these limiations. Let's also not forget that the card is very prone to micro-stuttering. It runs hot and draws a ton of power. Hell I switched from a 9800GX2 setup to a Geforce GTX 280 SLI setup despite what the benchmarks say. I've got no micro-stuttering using those cards and I get better minimum FPS. Lets' also add to that the gameplay in all my games was smoother and generally speaking, quite a bit better.

The 4870 is almost as fast as the GTX 280 and costs less. It won't suffer from micro-stuttering (in single card applications at least) and should use less power than the 9800GX2. Why wouldn't I recommend it over the 9800GX2?

No i ment that the [H] review shows the 2 cards at diffferent stand points than other reviews and ive been noticing that you have been having problems with yours 4870 x2 performance.

You don't even sound like you LOOK at any other sites anymore,,,3879x2 was ages ago compared to how fast technology advances. I admit there are bad sites out there, but the I don't think anandtech and tigerdirect fits into that catagory.

get the hd 4870 (which you can get at memory express for $280, btw memoryexpress is canadian)

I went with a EVAG 260,

as much as I like the look of the 4870 the lack of good warrenty support from any of the ati partners drive me away.

I need overclocking and 3rd party cooling to be covered lol.

If only ATI would get a good partner like evga/xfx I would be all over there stuff alot more often.

I went with a EVAG 260,

as much as I like the look of the 4870 the lack of good warrenty support from any of the ati partners drive me away.

If only ATI would get a good partner like evga/xfx I would be all over there stuff alot more often.

good choice if you can get a deal on it. what model are you going with?

OP, get whatever one you can get a better deal on, end of story.

I'm getting a 260. Want to know why? Step up program. For me, the 260 is the deal.

Both cards are close to identical.

That step up program is great ONLY if your considering stepping up within the first 3 months after purchase. I can see why its great for those in that category, but for everyone else, its not a big deal breaker if you dont have it.

I went with a EVAG 260,

Visiontek has a lifetime warenty on thier ATI cards. Thats all Ive ever gotten and I must say that Ive never had to use thier warrenty LOL

You don't even sound like you LOOK at any other sites anymore,,,3879x2 was ages ago compared to how fast technology advances. I admit there are bad sites out there, but the I don't think anandtech and tigerdirect fits into that catagory.

Actually I visit Anandtech quite frequently, especially since they have a lot of good tech write ups. As for the 3870x2, it was only earlier this year (aka the previous generation), and Anandtech was one of the sites on that bandwagon.

If it's for today's games 9800GX2 would be the fastest overall.

If it's for future games... 4870.

If it's for today's games 9800GX2 would be the fastest overall.

If it's for future games... 4870.

Gx2 aint good for games, just benching, that has been covererd in sevral threads already and since the GTX-line is not a chooise then it is easy, 4870. Put the GTX in the mix and it will be harder to pick a card since a OC:ed GTX260 is just in the ballpark with 4870.

4870, i love mine no need to overclock it, runs everything fast at stock clocks

Back