Nvidia 8800 Vista False Advertising Lawsuit... details inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraylon

Limp Gawd
original Post: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21796

Please post there also if you want to get in on it. I am contacting members by e-mail to put them on the list. This kind of thing should not be over looked. Misleading the public or consumer into buying your product is not ethical and can be stopped if enough people voice their concern.

here is the contents of the post :

OKay... frankly its November 27th and there is still no VISTA 8800 drivers from Nvidia. I think this is ridiculous. By the time they release the drivers, the price on this card will have dropped $50 - $100.00. I didn't rush and sell my ATI CROSSFIRE setup in a rush to get another DX9 card.

I am a Microsoft Gold Partner and as you know as a partner you get a free MSDN subscription. AS of almost two weeks ago, I had my hands on the RTM version of VISTA. This is the FINAL release version. NOT BETA. It has DX10 built in and it does not matter if you download and use the 32-bit or 64-bit version. IT is out there for us to use and run and install with a valid key and the GEFORCE 8800 DOES NOT work on it.

I backed up my data, formated my hard drive and install vista. Then it came time to load the drivers and to my shock... the VISTA READY DX10 Compatible $660.00 Nvidia card i bought did not come with VISTA DRIVERS?!?!?! started to read it would be out in a week... and here i am almost 2 weeks later with no drivers.

If this has happened to you, please post and let me know if you would be interested in starting a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA.

I was an avid ATI fan, all i bought was ATI cards. I finally decided to switch to Nvidia after constantly being told by my coworkers that Nvidia is the better company/brand to go with...

WHAT A MISTAKE!

SO HERE ARE THE BASICS ON ADVERTISING A PRODUCT... i think its pretty clear Nvidia has violated this by advertising their card is DX10 and Vista ready when its very obvious now that it was and still IS not VISTA ready.

Only the FTC has the authority to enforce the FTC Act. Private parties, such as consumers or competitors, can bring a legal action regarding false advertising under the Lanham Act.

To establish a violation under the Lanham Act, consumers and competitors must prove the following: (1) the advertiser made false statements of fact about its product; (2) the false advertisements actually deceived or had the capacity to deceive a substantial segment of the target population; (3) the deception was material; (4) the falsely advertised product was sold in interstate commerce; and (5) the party bringing the lawsuit (known as the "plaintiff") was injured as a result of the deception.

GENERAL ADVERTISING POLICIES

What truth-in-advertising rules apply to advertisers?
Under the Federal Trade Commission Act:

advertising must be truthful and non-deceptive;
advertisers must have evidence to back up their claims; and
advertisements cannot be unfair.
Additional laws apply to ads for specialized products like consumer leases, credit, 900 telephone numbers, and products sold through mail order or telephone sales. And every state has consumer protection laws that govern ads running in that state.

What makes an advertisement deceptive?
According to the FTC's Deception Policy Statement, an ad is deceptive if it contains a statement - or omits information - that:

is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and
is "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.
What makes an advertisement unfair?
According to the Federal Trade Commission Act and the FTC's Unfairness Policy Statement, an ad or business practice is unfair if:

it causes or is likely to cause substantial consumer injury which a consumer could not reasonably avoid; and
it is not outweighed by the benefit to consumers.
How does the FTC determine if an ad is deceptive?
A typical inquiry follows these steps:

The FTC looks at the ad from the point of view of the "reasonable consumer" - the typical person looking at the ad. Rather than focusing on certain words, the FTC looks at the ad in context - words, phrases, and pictures -ÿto determine what it conveys to consumers.

The FTC looks at both "express" and "implied" claims. An express claim is literally made in the ad. For example, "ABC Mouthwash prevents colds" is an express claim that the product will prevent colds. An implied claim is one made indirectly or by inference. "ABC Mouthwash kills the germs that cause colds" contains an implied claim that the product will prevent colds. Although the ad doesn't literally say that the product prevents colds, it would be reasonable for a consumer to conclude from the statement "kills the germs that cause colds" that the product will prevent colds. Under the law, advertisers must have proof to back up express and implied claims that consumers take from an ad.

The FTC looks at what the ad does not say - that is, if the failure to include information leaves consumers with a misimpression about the product. For example, if a company advertised a collection of books, the ad would be deceptive if it did not disclose that consumers actually would receive abridged versions of the books.

The FTC looks at whether the claim would be "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product. Examples of material claims are representations about a product's performance, features, safety, price, or effectiveness.

The FTC looks at whether the advertiser has sufficient evidence to support the claims in the ad. The law requires that advertisers have proof before the ad runs.

correct me if I'm wrong, but vista isn't available to the general public yet, right?

Therefore it's not false advertising, only a small portion of the popultation has access to the software, vs the full population that has access to the 8800.

In other words, it won't fly, and you should have expected that realistically, any RTM OS won't be fully supported till launch.

Now, come actualy public release, if there's no drivers, THEN you have a 100% completely valid point.

dude, you need to just calm the heck down.

You're right, the version of Vista that you have is indeed the final release. But it is not released yet. Vista is not a publicly available product. You can't complain when there isn't support for an unreleased and unsupported operating system. I'm sorry that you were so unfortunate as to get the RTM version of vista so early, but you are not the majority.

While I have pages and pages of things I want to say to you in regards to your post, I'm going to summarize it by saying "you are an idiot"

You try to talk all big about being a Microsoft Gold Partner, yet and I quote
"I finally decided to switch to Nvidia after constantly being told by my coworkers that Nvidia is the better company/brand to go with...

That was your first mistake, you listened to someone else rather than doing your own research.

Had you done your research BEFORE you purchased your card you would have known that Vista drivers hadn't been released yet.

Now on to the real meat of this issue, I don't care if you are a Microsoft Gold/Platinum/Titainium/Diamond/blah blah partner. Walk into BestBuy, Circuit City, NewEgg, ZZF and purchase a copy of Windows Vista and then come back and complain about not having Vista drivers.

Until then take your class action bullshit, shove it up your tailpipe and smoke it.

besides, even if you had vista drivers which were all DX10 dialed in, what do you plan on running in DX10 on this card? there's nothing to run.. Flight Sim X won't even be DX10 until it's patch comes out in 2007. sheesh. When Vista is released into the wild on Jan 30th 2007 I had bet we'll see drivers for the 8800 which are full compliant and functional..

revenant said:
besides, even if you had vista drivers which were all DX10 dialed in, what do you plan on running in DX10 on this card? there's nothing to run.. Flight Sim X won't even be DX10 until it's patch comes out in 2007. sheesh. When Vista is released into the wild on Jan 30th 2007 I had bet we'll see drivers for the 8800 which are full compliant and functional..

Amen! money grubbing monkeys...

Baseless lawsuit. lopoetve is correct. You really should calm down and stop clogging up the judicial system with these frivolous suits that do nothing but enrich lawyers. By the time you file this thing, by the time it gets to court, by the time the decision is rendered, you will have spent thousands in legal fees and gotten nothing in return. Not to mention the drivers will be out by then. Probably the third version of the drivers. :D

So, if you have money to burn, or if you are an attorney that has nothing better to do but chase after this particular ambulance, go ahead. Most of us will sit back, wait and not stress out. Life's too short, dude. :rolleyes:

Beta, RC, or RTM, the copy of Vista you have is still UNSUPPORTED. That means unsupported by Microsoft and unsupported by..........*drum roll*...............nVidia! Imagine that!

Wait until after the Vista launch. If there still are no drivers (and trust me, there will be drivers) then continue with your lawsuit.

Until then, you are wasting big legal bucks, and I highly doubt that even the world's most desperate lawyer will take your case that has more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese.

I suggest that you contact nVidia if you are unhappy with their driver support for Vista. This is not a place for you to piss and moan and try to bait others into a flamefest.

no need to call the OP names. That's childish.

And I agree that "no vista" means "no claim". How can the rest of us make a claim against nvidia if we don't have the games or the OS to support it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back