Nvidia 8800 Driver Issues in Vista

Isaiah45

n00b
Hey, Anyone else having trouble with the 8800 Vista drivers? Post your driver issues as well as advice here.

I have lately installed the latest 158.18 drivers but had even more issues with it than with the 101.41 (including unable to adjust fan speed anymore) so uninstalled them but when I try'd to reinstall the 101.41 drivers I got the error message saying the setup has detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista. The installation will be terminated. So now im stuck without any drivers?

Download version 100.54 then boot to safemode and uninstall your current drivers. Reboot to normal mode and install 100.54. They have been rock solid for me, all the new drivers are crash happy.

Download version 100.54 then boot to safemode and uninstall your current drivers. Reboot to normal mode and install 100.54. They have been rock solid for me, all the new drivers are crash happy.

in SLi w/ Vista?

Yeah vista is pain so as win xp drivers, runs fine on one card as soon as you add a second your system becomes unstable :mad:

I don't have any Nvidia drivers installed, like I said if I try to install the drivers it just terminates the setup because it can`t detect vista. So any advice on hoe I can get the drivers installed?

Hey, Anyone else having trouble with the 8800 Vista drivers? Post your driver issues as well as advice here.

Issues: windows vista

advice: upgrade to xp.

Seriously, until Crysis comes out, there is NO legitimate reason to be running Vista.

Seriously, until Crysis comes out, there is NO legitimate reason to be running Vista.

You are full of it. Vista is not just for gaming. Blanket statements such as you made are so erroneous.

that being said, my Vista Ultimate rig, 8800GTS, and the latest drivers are very good at gaming. Q1, Q2, Q3A, Q4, Doom3, FarCry, CoD2, and FlightSimX. Fast and trouble free.

your wright, i just uninstalled vista and have gone back to xp.vista is too buggy all my games ran slower,and driver support sucks.ill probably install it again when its fixed,

You are full of it. Vista is not just for gaming. Blanket statements such as you made are so erroneous.

that being said, my Vista Ultimate rig, 8800GTS, and the latest drivers are very good at gaming. Q1, Q2, Q3A, Q4, Doom3, FarCry, CoD2, and FlightSimX. Fast and trouble free.

How did you get Quake to run on vista? Its a dos based game.

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and noticed one thing after I upgraded my graphics card. When I used my old 7600GT I could run Test Drive Unlimited and it had decent FPS and overall gameplay. Fastforward to the new video card, a 8800 GTS 320 MB Superclocked with similar settings. I managed to do all the right things to get it up and running with new drivers (7.15.11.5818).

The weird thing I noticed first on Test Drive Unlimited that although the graphics are exceptionally good, the game now "jumps" when you go between sections (quadrants) in the game. It must load in different terrain sections during gameplay. This might seem normal, but I didn't notice it with my 7600GT in he same system. I tried resolution changes, detail, and antialias wiith no change in the issue. It is minor, but seems weird that a new upgraded video card has this issue when the mid-range mainstream 7600GT didn't. My orignal system is in the sig.

The issues I have with the Vista drivers are :

About a 8-14% performance decrease in games

Several of my favorite features are disabled : Digital Vibrance and Image Sharpening

Other than that, I have not 1 issue in Vista. When I tried to go to Windows XP I had a HUGE batch of problems :

-Windows would hang on startup, I'd have to ctrl+alt+delete to get anything to work
-Quicklaunch toolbar wouldnt do anything
-When I used any USB the system crashed
-System would lose focus and I could move my mouse but nothing else would work, have to ctrl+alt+Del to do anything.

your wright, i just uninstalled vista and have gone back to xp.vista is too buggy all my games ran slower,and driver support sucks.ill probably install it again when its fixed,

Vista isn't buggy... nVIDIA Vista drivers are too buggy.

I don't have any Nvidia drivers installed, like I said if I try to install the drivers it just terminates the setup because it can`t detect vista. So any advice on hoe I can get the drivers installed?

Are you using Vist 64bit? I'd try to switch to 32bit. I'm using Vista Home Premium, 32bit with a BFG 8800GTS (640mb). Using 158.18 drivers and everything is working great. Ntune doesn't really work, but my card is factory overclocked...so I haven't really missed it.

Using the current 158.18 (32 bit). Pretty satisfied with it. No major problems other than Vista still being slower than XP. It works well enough that I no longer need to dual-boot with WinXP.

Only issues I have are the loss in performance (which I have no doubt we'll see change in the next few weeks) and the loss (so far) of Digital Vibrance and Image Sharpening.

If they fix this soon I'll be 1 uber happy duck!

Wow hypocrite much? A LOT of people are having issues with 8800 drivers in Vista and XP. Me included.

Just because you aren't experiencing it, doesn't mean problems don't exist :rolleyes:

Problems exist because games weren't expressly made to work on Vista...its more that Vista was made to work with games made to work for XP.

Once patches and new games start to arrive that confront this we'll see much better stability and performance. Add in drivers to this and we're only going to see things improve.

Vista, in MY opinion, is picky. This will be worked out in time, and for now it's 98% stable with all my games (some won't start up right 100% of the time).

Windows XP saw the same thing.

Wow hypocrite much? A LOT of people are having issues with 8800 drivers in Vista and XP. Me included.

Just because you aren't experiencing it, doesn't mean problems don't exist :rolleyes:

I never said others were not having issues, just that with some careful setup, 99% of the problems can be eliminated.

And I also stated that just because you have some problems with GAMES does not mean that Vista in itself is junk, as you implied.

lost 2000 points in 3dmark 2005 "upgrading" to vista
using 158.nvidia drivers

lost 2000 points in 3dmark 2005 "upgrading" to vista
using 158.nvidia drivers

You're going to lose some performance in Vista relative to XP in a lot of cases, but not a lot of real world performance in most cases. A slower benchmark is just that and doesn't realy mean anything.

Don't have my 8800 (plan on getting an Ultra probably when X2900 is release and can confirm performance is what's being rumored, i.e. no 8800 killer) but I have installed Vista Ultimate 32bit on three systems now, including the sig rig which has separate Vista drive in it. So far its worked well, however, the 7950GX2 just isn't supported in the drivers, so basically in Vista I have a SINGLE 7950GT.

Everytime Microsoft changes the driver model, these things happen unfortunately.

Back