Nvidia 7800?

Tygerwoody

Gawd
Nvidia is long known to coordinate its drivers to the series of cards it releases. They were releasing 4x.xx upon the Geforce 4 releases, 5x.xx upon Geforce FX(5) , 6x.xx for the Geforce 6. Its really not confusing to follow. What is confusing is the recent release of the 70.xx beta drivers. They are clearly for the Geforce 7 series of cards(which has already been confirmed to be ONLY high end, which would mean 7800, etc.). What does this mean? Does this mean Nvidia is close to being done already with their next architecture? Maybe, but they won't release the card, thats bad business strategy. Personally I don't think that will change the release date at all, considering they have little to worry about as of now. Nvidia is clearly on top as of now.(this is not a flame , just a fact. Performance is close, but Nvidia advertising and availability weight outweights anything ATI has at the moment.) Anyway, I just want some opinions on what your thoughts are on these 70's drivers released. They may only be in beta form, but why so extremely early?

Tygerwoody said:
Nvidia is long known to coordinate its drivers to the series of cards it releases. They were releasing 4x.xx upon the Geforce 4 releases, 5x.xx upon Geforce FX(5) , 6x.xx for the Geforce 6. Its really not confusing to follow. What is confusing is the recent release of the 70.xx beta drivers. They are clearly for the Geforce 7 series of cards(which has already been confirmed to be ONLY high end, which would mean 7800, etc.). What does this mean? Does this mean Nvidia is close to being done already with their next architecture? Maybe, but they won't release the card, thats bad business strategy. Personally I don't think that will change the release date at all, considering they have little to worry about as of now. Nvidia is clearly on top as of now.(this is not a flame , just a fact. Performance is close, but Nvidia advertising and availability weight outweights anything ATI has at the moment.) Anyway, I just want some opinions on what your thoughts are on these 70's drivers released. They may only be in beta form, but why so extremely early?
The driver numbers tell you no more about their development cycle than than the GeForce 5200 number tells you how it performs relative to a GeForce ti4200.

just a guess, but maybe 70.xx series drivers are SLI compatible? I think SLI would justify such a leap in revision number...

If driver cycles don't tell you more, then why were 3x.xx out with the Geforce 3? why were 4x.xx out with the Geforce 4? Why were 5x.xx out with the Geforce FX? Why were the 6x.xx out with the Geforce 6? Explain that. And don't confuse that with the "5200" and the ti 4600. The thousand number is always the series(geforce 4 for 4600, etc) and the rest of the numbers are how the card compares with THAT series (4600 faster than 4200). 5200 is a low card for the 5 series, 4600 is a high end card for the 4 series. That is common knowledge around here.

The early 60 series drivers were SLI capable. Maybe the 7800 is Nvidias refresh part?

No. They shouldn't be skipping that much for a refresh. Maybe they named the new drivers the 70 series because they're supposed to bring in a good deal more performence. People are reporting signifigant games with the 70.41s and those aren't even gaming drivers, they're for the workstation cards.

they just made the GeForce 6 series, cmon now. They're now going to PCI-E, and adding SLI-support, and don't forget the 6200 series....and that Windows Media Video fiasco....maybe they're just setting up and fixing alot of stuff at once, so they're just setting up a new set. I seriously doubt the GeForce 7 is on it's way this soon....there's no need. Sure there are plenty of 6xxx #'s left, but if nvidia wants to call them the new Forceware 99898434.32 drivers, as long as they work, I'm not concerned :eek:

Maybe they are developing the 7800...I doubt it will be released for at LEAST a year however. Probably closer to 2 years. I'm sure the 6xxx series can be pushed a bit more

Maybe someone was picking their nose and slipped on the 6 instead hitting the 7 key...

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Back