• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nvidia 77 series driver problems

vmaddogv

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
78
I have been using the 69 series drivers for quite some time. When i install the 77.72 or 77.77 my computer will randomly restart. I will leave it on the desktop and come back 15 min later and it has just rebooted. Also when playing BF2 the game will lock up every 20 to 30 seconds for about 3-5 seconds then continue (its acting kinda like fastwrite is on). When i revert back to the 69.63 (think that is the one i was using) everything is fine. No reboots and BF runs fine. Why would these drivers be cauing this issue? I have a BFG 6800GTOC. Thanks

-Matt
 
Use driver cleaner, then reinstall the drivers.

Troubleshooting 10, class has started. :p
 
Well, i just tried it my second time... didnt work the first time. Didnt check for updates either, but i did just download it. Also, when it was cleaning, there were a lot of files that it "could not find". Let me see if the second time fixed it though.
 
If this drivercleaner option doesn't work, help us help you by providing us with more information regarding your hardware, including mobo and RAM and processor.

There have been some complaints about Nvidia 6800 series vid cards on nvidia series mobos with AMD64 processors having the above mentioned problems in the 7x series of drivers, but works just fine in the 69.xx series drivers.

Let us know if you have the abovementioned combo?

PixelFreak

PS - See this thread to see if you qualify? http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=938842
 
Well, i do have that combo. Amd64 3200+, MSI neo2 plat, OCZ plat rev 2. Ill take a look at that thread.
 
vmaddogv said:
Well, i just tried it my second time... didnt work the first time. Didnt check for updates either, but i did just download it. Also, when it was cleaning, there were a lot of files that it "could not find". Let me see if the second time fixed it though.

1. remove drivers through the control panel.
2. pull out connection to Net and then reboot into safe mode.
3. turn off firewall and all antivirus programs and then run Driver Clean Pro. (these programs sometimes interfere w/ driver installation)
4. install new drivers and restart rig.
(after finish install process put cable back in for Net connection)

While doing steps 2-4 you will get prompts about new hardware just cancel out of them and continue with the steps.

If this doesn't help then post back again and the peeps here will try to help you out. Everybody is pretty good about helping others out as long as you provide the right info and your specific problems.

Good Luck! :D
 
Yeah i did all that but it seems i am suffering from the same problem others are having where nvidia is just not fixing this problem, as of right now i cannot use anything higher than the 66.93 drivers
 
vmaddogv said:
Yeah i did all that but it seems i am suffering from the same problem others are having where nvidia is just not fixing this problem, as of right now i cannot use anything higher than the 66.93 drivers


Have done everything except Reload. Current system MSI K8neo Plat. Nforce 3, BFG 6800GT OC, 1GB Mushkin Black Memory. Only thing that works so far, very well is the 66.93 drivers but of course it looks like crap. I also have read in forums all over that lots of people with this type of setup are having problems. I am thinking of going to Windows XP64bit to see if the 64bit Nforce drivers will do any different. At this point I am tired of trying new things to fix this BF2 freezinfg a lagging all the time with any driver above 66.93.

1. Has anyone tried Windows XP 64bit with this MOBO and Vid Card?
 
If you look in the thread linked above, I covered XPx64 a little as well. At least I think I did... I've researched/posted so much about this it all runs together. In XPx64 BF2 was the only game that actually ran fine with the latest drivers (latest XPx64 drivers anyway). All others still had the stuttering issue. That was the only way I stayed sane, I could boot into x64 and play BF2. :p Either get rid of the card or motherboard, or wait it out with the rest of us. :D Either way, go put your vote and your two cents into the thread.
 
Ok, thanks I will go Windows XP 64bit....guess it needed to be done anyway. Where do you want me to vote? I have no idea what you are talking about there.

But anyway thanks
 
Back
Top