nvFail.

I had to RMA my 7900/7950 series card about 3-4 times also... eVGA must've gotten tired of fixing my dead cards so they sent me an 8800 GTS 640 which works great even under heavy OC (with aftermarket cooling of course)

Ya man, for 3+ years here and you have no sig, thats not right. Honestly if you come here to get TS help, then you gotta give us something to go off of. Call up M$ and be like "Yo, my computer dont work" and they'll ask for WAY more info, and if you just keep saying, "Its not that it just dont work", well, Id hang up on you (and get fired, which is why I dont do help desk anymore :) I just fix things once helpdesk removes the "stupid people" from the equation )

Im not trying to slam you or whatever kids call it these days but even if its just for ePenis, fill out a sig. Not only does it help with TS and what all, but It will give you a small level of credibility in certain threads that involve your hardware (read SMALL because it is the internet after all :) )

But if your not asking fo rhelp then all I get out of your first post is that you want to start a anti nV flame war post, which there is not reason to do that, for anything. These boards are full of enough fighting and less and less actual tech in each thread nowadays, dont start a thread with that as the sole purpose.

And I think maybe there is something more here or the RMA guy at MSI just sent the card back 3 times ( you gotta check the serial each time to make sure you are not getting cheated ). Im on my 5th and 6th 8 series cards now, never had a problem with any of them. Also had 3 79 series, same thing. I know there were rumors and what not but most of that was nV flame wars thread and stories (you know who Im talking about) with no actual info.

3 in a row just doesnt sound right, Im betting you have a slight heat issue in your case, and the MSI techs dont. That could explain your problem, because heat will do what you said. Also, dont dismiss the PSU, your lemon could be the PSU, not your card. You are much more likely to have a dud PSU than 3x dud cards. IT could be going bad, sending irregular power and that again could be the cause. See how it could be many things, more than even covered in this thread? Your compy is like a chain, only as good as the weakest link. Techs when TSing have to examine every link, or else you will spend much more money than you need (which will kill a small business (trust me) , but here in the Army, its usually easier to replace everything (trust me) ).

Ok, Im tired of typing, must get to sleep... 30hr days to much....

NvFail is very relevant to me today! After RMA'ing one of my 8800GTX's due to its constant driver error recovery crap in windows and in games, I got a replacement from EVGA with a screw rolling around in the plastic shell, a crack on the heatsink shroud, and scratches all over it.

Guess the psu chooses favorites then. Doesn't fail the 2900pro. Nor the 7600gt. Nor any of my other components. :rolleyes:

now your getting it. Since a 7600 uses A LOT less power, a 2900 might use a little less as well or be more flexible if it gets undervolted, AND the fact that the pcie connector is probably a separate 12v rail.

now your getting it. Since a 7600 uses A LOT less power, a 2900 might use a little less as well or be more flexible if it gets undervolted, AND the fact that the pcie connector is probably a separate 12v rail.

The 2900 pro uses a lot more power. That's why it has 2x PCI-E connectors, and the card I had was oc'd well past 2900xt speeds. Good try, though.

Soo.. I tried to contact msi's rma dept.. They list the email address as.. [email protected] on their company's website.

So I send an email there. Get a delivery failure message back. Try it from a gmail account.. same thing..

So I notice there's a spot to fill out online requests..
Check this out.. lol.
http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=msifailtp6.jpg
thats why I try to stick with card makers that are easy to get in contact with like PNY and EVGA. Im not buying a card from a company that doesnt have a customer service phone number.

thats why I try to stick with card makers that are easy to get in contact with like PNY and EVGA. Im not buying a card from a company that doesnt have a customer service phone number.

I did locate one and called.

Ya man, for 3+ years here and you have no sig, thats not right. Honestly if you come here to get TS help, then you gotta give us something to go off of. Call up M$ and be like "Yo, my computer dont work" and they'll ask for WAY more info, and if you just keep saying, "Its not that it just dont work", well, Id hang up on you (and get fired, which is why I dont do help desk anymore :) I just fix things once helpdesk removes the "stupid people" from the equation )

Im not trying to slam you or whatever kids call it these days but even if its just for ePenis, fill out a sig. Not only does it help with TS and what all, but It will give you a small level of credibility in certain threads that involve your hardware (read SMALL because it is the internet after all :) )

But if your not asking fo rhelp then all I get out of your first post is that you want to start a anti nV flame war post, which there is not reason to do that, for anything. These boards are full of enough fighting and less and less actual tech in each thread nowadays, dont start a thread with that as the sole purpose.

And I think maybe there is something more here or the RMA guy at MSI just sent the card back 3 times ( you gotta check the serial each time to make sure you are not getting cheated ). Im on my 5th and 6th 8 series cards now, never had a problem with any of them. Also had 3 79 series, same thing. I know there were rumors and what not but most of that was nV flame wars thread and stories (you know who Im talking about) with no actual info.

3 in a row just doesnt sound right, Im betting you have a slight heat issue in your case, and the MSI techs dont. That could explain your problem, because heat will do what you said. Also, dont dismiss the PSU, your lemon could be the PSU, not your card. You are much more likely to have a dud PSU than 3x dud cards. IT could be going bad, sending irregular power and that again could be the cause. See how it could be many things, more than even covered in this thread? Your compy is like a chain, only as good as the weakest link. Techs when TSing have to examine every link, or else you will spend much more money than you need (which will kill a small business (trust me) , but here in the Army, its usually easier to replace everything (trust me) ).

Ok, Im tired of typing, must get to sleep... 30hr days to much....

Sorry, I didn't see this post. You are about the 10th person that I had to point this out to because nobody seems to be able to read. There were not three failures of the card. After the card first had issues, it was sent back in the same state that it was initially. I fired up 3dm06 and it artifacted/locked up within a minute of running. I had to send it right back, and I believe they sent me a different card. I don't still have the serial numbers from then to verify that, though.

I am not asking anyone to troubleshoot anything. However, people are taking it on their own to try and troubleshoot it anyways. I've already explained multiple times logical reasons why it's not the power supply, which other users seemed to want to attack. I've had a more power consuming card in the system in the interim, none of the other components have failed or shown any signs of stress, and while not a super efficient or expensive unit, the power supply has been rated decently. The +12V ratings are easily enough to power 2x of these cards. I spose I could buy a multimeter to remove any uncertainty what-so-ever, but I'm fairly certain it is not the issue.

This section is called the "nvidia flavor". Not nvflame, not nvtroubleshoot. I was posting my experience I had with a specific nvidia card. I don't have a sig because it's not worth the time - it's always out of date because of constant updates and once again, because there's really no need to.

So.. ? its the card, ok? dont jump down my throat. based on your first post, you posted asking if anyone had 3 duds in a row, thats what your asking right? People here will see you had 3 duds and notice that thats not common, so they extend you the common courtesy of TS because thats not common. Its not people being thick or arogant or whatever, we have very limited info from you (empty post asking a question and no background from a sig or whatnot) and we are trying to help you in a way. OK, so odds turned out to be wrong and you did have 3 duds, does that mean that our advice wouldnt have helped most joes in your place? It would have.

On a personal note tho, just as advice from me to you, whenever you RMA something, record the serial numbers before and after, so that you will atleast have some info if you need to bring your issue to the upper levels in a RMA department. I would say that you just got the same card back, which isnt a good thing, but sometimes shit happens and you get the short end of the stick.

I'm not sure how many times I have to tell you I did not have three failed cards before you get it through your heard ...

you could eliminate almost all these questions if you took 2 minutes and made a sig. some other tech forums require them and I wish that Hardforum would too. ;)

But then people like me who have sigs turned off still would not know...that's why its recommended to put the specs in the post....
Also, many of us have multiple machines, and don't want to list them all in our E-peen sig..:D

It's funny how you guys would claim the psu without knowing any information. Let me explain:

When I first got the card, after about a month of use it started artifacting and locking up, and would do it more-so and more-so until I finally had enough and rma'd the card to MSI. RMA #1.

I got the card back from MSI, popped it in, fired up 3dm06, artifacts+freeze. They didn't fix anything. RMA #2.

I got the card back from MSI again, worked okay for around 3 months, just came home and fired it up, "No signal". No warning, was working fine the previous night.

So it's kind of obvious the psu wouldn't be responsible for #1 and #2.. funny how everyone's quick to blame it, like I don't know what I'm talking about. :) The card has really been bad/failed 2x, and MSI has failed 1x. Also, I assure you the 2900pro that has been in the machine in the interim draws much more power than the 8800gt, and has ran without incident. Unfortunately that's one of my brother's cards though.

All the issues you just described can be caused by a faulty power supply..:rolleyes:

Just assure us you don't have some goober unit like rosewill and we'll get off your back :)

Back