NV5 Silencer on 6800 GT showing slightly higher temps than stock hs, help plz :(

Svperstar

Limp Gawd
Well I put my new NV5 Silencer with Arctic Silver hoping for higher clock and lower temps.

I am running a PNY 6800 GT, bios flashed to 1.4 volts, running at 370/1050(was waiting for higher till Silencer was installed).

Temps with stock 6800 GT heatsink were 51c at idle, would go up to 75c or so under load.

I put on the NV5 Silencer with Arctic Silver, made sure the fan was running.

As soon as I booted into windows my idle temp was 52c, this is before any gaming or anything. I loaded up the temp log in RivaTuner, and playing some Doom 3 for about 15 minutes to get the temps up.

Looks like the maximum temp now is 79c, weird thing is though, the graph in RivaTuner under the stock heatsink was pretty linear in its increase and decrease, now the graph is extremely jagged, like it jumps up and down a few C seemingly at random. :confused:

Its been about 20 minutes since I quit out of Doom 3 , and my idle temp is 55c now and it took a long time for it to go back to that, before it would drop 10c almost instantly apon quiting out of the game, now it is a slow proccess.

The only thing I can think is I didn't use the little black backplate that was originally on the 6800 GT but I dont think I need that.

Before I did this I scrubbed off the ram chips and GPU with alcohol, the GPU had a near mirror shine.

Now I know you might say "Not enough/too much thermal grease" thing is though because I didnt want to pull the card out of my computer, I was very careful with my grease, I put just enough, not too much, same amount as my cpu which is going strong and cool, I tightened the pins with a screw driver a lot for good solid contact.

I also put just a smidge of grease on the ram chips, not a whole lot compared to the cpu, but enough to ensure contact.

Also, I don't feel a steady stream of air coming out of my case from this thing, I just double checked and the fan is indeed blowing.

Any ideas? This isn't the end of the world but when you pay $40 for something you expect it too work, bleh

have you pulled the nv silencer off and checked to see if it is making full contact with the gpu. When I installed my nv silencer i had the same issue as you and that was the problem.

Thanks for the reply

I could try that but what could I do different when I put it back on? Not much wiggle room on the thing since you just line up the 4 pins, I don't know exactly how I could move it.

Did you just take it off and put it back on?

Svperstar said:
Thanks for the reply

I could try that but what could I do different when I put it back on? Not much wiggle room on the thing since you just line up the 4 pins, I don't know exactly how I could move it.

Did you just take it off and put it back on?

When you put it back on put a good amount of thermal paste on the core (a little more than normal). And then tighten the 4 screws in the back with your fingernail as tight as you can. Then turn the screws with a screwdriver a couple turns until they stop turning too easily.

Well I took it off, and put more grease on the chip than looks neccessary, screwed it back on extremely tight. Now my idle temps are a about 2c lower, so are the load temps. Still not a dramatic improvement over the stock heatsink that so many others have been seeing :(

You might have already had good case cooling to begin with and so didn't see any improvement in your temperatures. Probably the only benefit of the NV5 silencer is that it is quieter than the stock heatsink and dispells the heat more directly out the case. Of course, you may have not noticed this either since you had good cooling to begin with and perhaps lots of loud fans that easily drown out the sound from the stock HSF.

Hey,
I had this same issue on my 6800GT + nV5 + AC5. When I first installed it and fired her up, I was worse on idle by about 2 degrees (I didn't even try load).
I thot WTF?!?!? This thing was $50!

FIX:
While I had the nV temp guage on, real-time, I tightened the screws down one at a time. I found I had to loosen one corner and tighten the living PISS out of another. I could almost picture breaking a screw or snapping the board in half I had to tighten one of 'em so hard. I could squeeze the sink/card really hard in my hands and watch the temp drop 10 degrees immediately (within 3-4 seconds) NO JOKE. You HAVE to mess around with the screws while you watch the temp monitor.

Install on these things is not just screwing them on the card...you have to tweak 'em. I ended up dropping 11 degrees total at idle and 9 degrees load with this cooler.

Absolutely worth the money-anyone not pleased with this cooler has not taken the time to tweak the screws down right.

Well I think I got it. I went to a local computer store and picked up some AC5. Came home and put a generous amount of it on the core, stuff is really sticky and dense compared to AC2. Then I screwed it back on, this time tight enough that if I forced it anymore I am positive I would crush the core or ram chips, little black washers squished down. Felt very snug.

Now my idle temp is 1c lower than it was with the stock fan, and my load after playing CS :S for an hour is 68c.

I should mention those temps are with the core 30 mhz higher and the ram 50 mhz higher than they were before. Overall I am impressed.

Like Brahmzy said, mess with the screws if you have this thing.

Back