nv4_disp.dll file error and memory

adri1456

Gawd
I'm getting mixed message on a customer's desktop. He brought his computer in (EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 mobo, q6600, EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX, 1x 2gb PC2-6400, XP Pro), saying it was crashing while playing games. I ran 3DMark06, and it crashed maybe 8/10 tries I ran the program - all at various times - causing me to either restart the computer because it kicked me back to windows and it reset the display settings to a low 8 bit setting, or it froze and/or had ugly artifacts on the screen, causing me to do a hard boot.

I've upgraded/downgraded the video drivers via driver cleaner, and even used a 9500GT, and redid the drivers, but it kept on crashing. There is an error message, nv4_disp.dll restarted or something, that caused me to restart the computer. I then got a new stick of 2gb PC2-6400 RAM, and so far its going through the benchmark program like butter. I ran memtest on the old RAM last night, and it didn't give me no errors (ran about 27 times), and I even switched the RAM to the 2nd slot - same error.

How 'reliable' is memtest in this case? Can 3dmark06 diagnose RAM problems also even if memtest doesn't detect any erorr?

Back