nv4_disp Blue Screen Error in Games

erorr404

Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
646
i just got this new 6600GT a few weeks ago, and everything has been fine until recently. i got HL2 a week or so ago, and after playing CS:S for a couple of hours, the computer crashed and gave me a blue screen showing some "nv4_disp" error (details below). i havent had time to play games much after that, so i didnt experience the error for a few days. but today, as im playing GTA: San Andreas, the crash happened again. now, i think ive read somewhere that this is a common problem on 6600GT's, but havent been able to find anything useful on google. does anyone have any solutions?
btw, i also got some regular crashes/freezes and restarts while playing HL2 and San Andreas, without the blue screen appearing.
i have DirectX 9.0c and official nVidia 71.89 display driver. the rest of the specs are in my sig.

a problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage.
problem caused by: nv4_disp
...
device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
...
technical information:
nv4_disp
beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete

EDIT: btw, i have already tried reinstalling display drivers (using driver cleaner and everything). plus, i formatted recently, so everything is freshly installed.
nothing in the system is overclocked, and that includes the video card.
 
Thanks for the reply. I just installed 77.30 drivers that came with the Battlefield 2 demo. I haven't really played yet, but I'll do a couple of hours straight of gaming and see if it crashes.
 
I get the same error with CS:S. I have an EVGA 6800nu. I'm wondering why this is a recent thing happening. I think its the summer heat maybe?

I have an 120mm and 80mm intake fans 1 120mm exhaust...sooo
 
no.. i dont think thats possible. all my parts are cool. vga card is running a little hot but thats totally normal (high 40's idle and high 60's load).
 
Back
Top