NV40 value line ?

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Any thoughts as to when the lower spec'd NV40 boards will be available ? I'm running a ti4200 and have been considering upgrading to a 9800 pro. 200 bucks is my realistic price range. I know NV40 will debut at 400 maybe even 500 bucks. I'd like to get a "ti4200" version of NV40 and could wait up to 3 months from now. I think it took about 3 months for the ti4200s to hit the street after the ti4600/4400 debut ? But maybe they will wait longer this cycle so not to steal the market from the top end cards ? Like release low spec'd NV40 at the end of the year before NV45 ? If this is the case I might just get the 9800pro now. I doubt they will drop that much more in price after R420. What do you think ?

I'd bet that you'll be waiting at least several months after the introduction of the NV40 for an NV41 or similar midrange value card.

I'd also guess the first NV40 parts on the market will be hitting $500 easily. The die is rumored to be absolutely gigantic.

nvidia.jpg

if this isnt outdated, it should help.

looks like the nv44 is what your looking for (but its pci-e)
maybe the nv37?

I would like to do the same thing. I was running a Ti4200 for a really long time. Till I saw Halo run at 1024x768 on a P4 3Ghz with a 9800pro 128MB. It was night and day, well worth the 200 bucks. Got mine from Newegg =o)

I could sell this card to 3 differnt people for $125. So if the $175-225 NV40 line is fast I'll jump on it. Only if the value line is the same thing but with a lower clock speed and maybe just 128MB of RAM.

:D

I would go ahead and get the 9800. The mid level value card based on NV40 probably won't perform as well as the top end cards of the current generation.

Not to mention you'll end up spending at least 200 bucks anyway....

So.... you can enjoy a fast card now for the next 4 or 5 months that you would otherwise be waiting, or you can roll the dice and sit it out.

looks like the nv19 is what your looking for, or the nv44 (but its pci-e)

The NV19 is another glorified GeForce4 MX, which isn't what he's looking for.

The NV41 or the NV43 look like the ticket, so probably some time in the third or early fourth quarter of this year.

The NV44 appears to be the sequel to the 5200, aimed at the budget market.

So.... you can enjoy a fast card now for the next 4 or 5 months that you would otherwise be waiting, or you can roll the dice and sit it out.

^^ Whut he sayd

Yeah interesting picture Badboy. A little confusing though. Will NV18 be an improvement from where I am now ? It looks like it will be the <100 dollar card. NV43 looks like what I'm looking for. Hopefully there will be AGP-PCI Express adaptors ? Although if it isn't coming until q3/04 I may just go with the 9800pro. I'm fairly happy with the ti4200. UT2004 runs fine at 1024X768 max details but Far Cry is a little jerky even at medium settings.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am leaning towards gettings a 9800pro right now, or maybe waiting a few more weeks to see if R420 drops it down another 30 bucks.

Will NV18 be an improvement from where I am now ? It looks like it will be the <100 dollar card.

The NV18 is already out and is called the "GeForce 4 MX 4000".
It's a piece of crap not worthy of the sweat off the ass of your ti4200.

Originally posted by leukotriene

The NV41 or the NV43 look like the ticket, so probably some time in the third or early fourth quarter of this year.

i guess your right on the nv19. so that wouldnt be the way. but im pretty sure the nv41 will be on the enthusiast side and pretty high priced, the ti4200 definately isnt enthusiast ;) trust me, i have one.

if your looking for a sequel to the ti4200 id say the nv44 (which is twice the performance of the fx5200. the fx5200 isnt that far from a ti4200. but the nv43 would probally be my best bet if your going on comparison.

at this time i dont think any of us could give you a 100% correct answer because none of the cards are out. i definately wouldnt get a 9800pro right now, due do the fact prices will definately change later and we dont even know the correct performance and prices of future cards. i say just wait for now would be the best thing :)

From the roadmap, I would probably say that the NV43 is the equivalent of the Ti4200 when it first came out, though it looks like PCI-E. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some changes to this roadmap since it was made - I just can't imagine NVDA not offering a NV4x-based AGP card for the performance/mainstream markets.

And I'm with you - I'm waiting for the same "Ti4200-like" AGP card after the $500 flagship is introduced. Can't wait... :)

I'm having the exact same dilemma. Its almost worse because my friend got a powercolor 9800se from newegg that he let me borrow. Well, I tried the softmod and it seems to work great so far. I got 5661 3dmark2003 points at stock speeds. I haven't noticed ANY artifacting so far. Anyways...he said he'd sell it to me for 160...so I'm really torn if I should wait for the "ti4200" NV40 card...or get this now to tide me over. I'd really like to play far cry with decent framerate:(

Any suggestions or opinions?

Originally posted by SilkenRogue
I would go ahead and get the 9800. The mid level value card based on NV40 probably won't perform as well as the top end cards of the current generation.

Not to mention you'll end up spending at least 200 bucks anyway....

this would normally be correct however so far NV has been useing the same cores for their "mid level" cards (think ti 4200, and 4400 they were the same as the 4600) and if they follow this path with the NV40 varients...even a slightly underclocked "4200" nv40 will still more than likely be faster than the 9800...as for Id say just wait...

Back