NV Silencer 5 question

rahavsmt

Gawd
I have a Gainward 6800GT GLH and the fan is very loud. I want to change it to nv silencer 5. I would like to know if any other user of this card has tried putting this cooler. This card doesnt follow the nvidia reference design as it is using a two slot cooling solution. Therefore do i need to make any adjustment to nv silencer 5 or does it fit perfectly as it is? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

im having trouble figureing out what your are trying to ask.. :confused:

if you can get them to answer you..email them..and ask if it fits your card..thats the crappy part about the nv5..the reference boards are all different...i inquired to them about my bfg6800gt....they never answerd me..so i'll take that as a no..your also going to need 3 open pci slots..card takes 2...the nv5 exhaust takes 1

Blauman said:
I have a BFG 6800gt OC and it fit just fine.

I dont think that helps him....But it should fit, email the company and find out..

The NV5 will fit on a BFG perfectly. As for it fitting on the Gainward, I put the silencer on my GTO which is a 2 slot cooling design. The only problem I ran into was the silver guide that you screw into the slot that holds the card (cant think of a technical term, sorry). It was blocking my exhaust. There are 2 solutions for this. Either find a 1 slot silver piece off another pci device you are not using or take a hacksaw to the one that is on there. I chose to remove it from the board and hack it up. Obviously you severly destroy any warranty using my method. The NV5 will take up only 2 slots but its highly recommended to not use the one directly next to it as you will block up its intake fan. Hope this helps.

I have the GLH with NVsilencer. But there is a liitle prob with that card. Its 2slot and the backplate of the card aswell. So the silencer wont fit. You can change the backplate with a one-slot solution, or just cut off 1cm of the silencer, thats what i did.

Oh...should have read donkeys post before :)
A simple knife is enuf to cut off a piece from the silender. Then it will fit perfect :)

I found the arctic cooling single slot cover online. It cost just €1 but the delivery charge is €7.50. I think i'll order it because i dont want to cut neither the original double slot cover nor the NV5.

justacow said:
I have the GLH with NVsilencer.
How is the cooling performance of the original cooler compared to NV5?

Gainwards stock cooling is the best you can get for the gt, except watercooling. If there wasnt that bloody noise...

Im using arctic silver paste and the Silencer keeps tha card at 55°idle and 63-66°load. Thats overall 2° more than Gainwards stock cooler. So its okay...

You can also send the Card to Gainward and they will replace the backplate with a single slot solution and the nv stock cooler.

What clocks can you run your card btw?

justacow said:
I have the GLH with NVsilencer. But there is a liitle prob with that card. Its 2slot and the backplate of the card aswell. So the silencer wont fit. You can change the backplate with a one-slot solution, or just cut off 1cm of the silencer, thats what i did.

Oh...should have read donkeys post before :)
A simple knife is enuf to cut off a piece from the silender. Then it will fit perfect :)

My NV5 Silencer came with two slot covers...one for ventilation and one for converting a two-slot card into a one-slot card. Should be possible to convert without voiding the warranty.

justacow said:
Gainwards stock cooling is the best you can get for the gt, except watercooling. If there wasnt that bloody noise...

Im using arctic silver paste and the Silencer keeps tha card at 55°idle and 63-66°load. Thats overall 2° more than Gainwards stock cooler. So its okay...

You can also send the Card to Gainward and they will replace the backplate with a single slot solution and the nv stock cooler.

What clocks can you run your card btw?

Yours are very much cooler than mine. Im running it at 430/1200, desktop 350/1000 though the card is guaranteed to run ar 400/1200. My card runs at 58°C idle and 75°C load. I just cant stand the noise of the card. Previously my card was Club 3D 6800gt but then it broke down. I didnt even oc the card. Went to my local dealer and exchange it with the gainward because there's no more club 3d card in stock. I didnt know then that the card would be very noisy.

It fits perfectly, but it does take up 2 slots on your mobo, so be sure to have an adjacent PCI slot open. The thing has a switch from fast to slow, the fast is somewhat quieter than the stock HS, but the slow setting makes it really nice and quiet in expense of performance. If you are looking to overclock the GT to Ultra speeds and beyond this is a great HS and provides massive amount of cooling. :)

Im getting 5712 3dmarks with this Baby at 420//1200. You can also try the new Zalman GPU Fan. From what i heard, it gets the gpu 3-5° and the memory 10-15°cooler than the the stock cooler.

But havent seen any reviews on it yet. THe zalman fits on all cards.

Edit: 5872 :))))

[Retaliation] said:
if you can get them to answer you..email them..and ask if it fits your card..thats the crappy part about the nv5..the reference boards are all different...i inquired to them about my bfg6800gt....they never answerd me..so i'll take that as a no..your also going to need 3 open pci slots..card takes 2...the nv5 exhaust takes 1

I could be wrong, but I thought the 6800gt was a single slot card (at least the PCIe flavor). It is the 6800ultra that is two slots.

Well mine is 2 slot. It uses hand-picked core and runs at 400/1200 stock, hence the need for two slot cooling. I dont know if there is any other gt that comes with 2 slot cooling solution.

justacow said:
Im getting 5712 3dmarks with this Baby at 420//1200. You can also try the new Zalman GPU Fan. From what i heard, it gets the gpu 3-5° and the memory 10-15°cooler than the the stock cooler.

But havent seen any reviews on it yet. THe zalman fits on all cards.

Edit: 5872 :))))

wut drivers are u using for 3dmark05?? i get 57xx with my ultra @ 450/1200... :confused:

BloodRayne said:
It fits perfectly, but it does take up 2 slots on your mobo, so be sure to have an adjacent PCI slot open. The thing has a switch from fast to slow, the fast is somewhat quieter than the stock HS, but the slow setting makes it really nice and quiet in expense of performance. If you are looking to overclock the GT to Ultra speeds and beyond this is a great HS and provides massive amount of cooling. :)

The NV5 models do not have a hi/lo fan switch like the VGA Silencers did. Rather, the GF68xx card controls fan speeds, higher when hot, lower when not...Still, the fan design on the NV 5 is far far quieter than any stock GF68xx fan I know of.

rahavsmt said:
I have a Gainward 6800GT GLH and the fan is very loud. I want to change it to nv silencer 5. I would like to know if any other user of this card has tried putting this cooler. This card doesnt follow the nvidia reference design as it is using a two slot cooling solution. Therefore do i need to make any adjustment to nv silencer 5 or does it fit perfectly as it is? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I put an NV5 on my BFG 6800 GT and it worked out very well. Idle temps before were 62C, now they're 52C. Load temps were 82C, now they're 72C. This is running rthdribl v1.2 for an hour to get a good heat soak.

You do need to do a pre-install check. Remove your old cooler and clean the core and ram off with 91% alcohol (available at any pharmacy). Then test fit the cooler onto your card carefully checking the fit against the core and ram. You will probably find out the core fits fine and you can use AS5 for the core, but the ram fit may not be as good. Use the included thermal paste that comes with the NV5 for the ram and apply plenty of it.

You don't need to tighten down the screws down very hard, just enough to slightly distort the rubber washers.

scored 58xx last night with mine i just got.. and its only 400/1100

Back