NV Physx question...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

I haven't done much searching on this yet, but I doubt I'd find much anyway. So, I'm planning to pick up an older card for Physx (or I may even have one laying around) in the 8800GT/GTS or 9600GTish range. (just to mess around with, as I know not much makes use of it yet, if ever) So, my question is, do cards like the old Palit cards with extra (useless for graphics) memory (like the 1GB 8800GT and 9600GT cards) perform better with the extra memory in physics applications? They don't cost any more than their 512MB counterparts, and if physics can make use of the extra memory where graphics couldn't, I'll pick up one of the larger-memory cards... Thoughts?

Graphics takes up much more RAM than physics calculations do (sticking to the context of games and PhysX), so the extra RAM won't help at all. But if they are indeed the same cost, then there isn't any reason *not* to get more RAM...

Thanks! Makes sense, I just hadn't read anything about memory usage for these things. Well, it's kinda moot now anyway, as I wound up taking the GTX 280 from secondary system, and popping it into the main one. So now I can do SLI, and experiment with Physx... :)

Back