Nutsack... to keep the 6800GT, buy another, or trade up?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Well, it looks like the max OC for my eVGA 6800 GT has dropped to 390/1050 :(

Not even to ultra speeds. :(

So... 3 options.

1. Keep it. It's fast. Who cares...
2. Sell it. Buy a BFG one.
3. Use the eVGA trade-up program to get a 6800 Ultra.

Note: RMA is NOT an option. I voided the warranty by overclocking. Period. I'm NOT returning it unless I can, without a doubt, prove that there is some other issue with the card, and this is just a side effect.

Oh. Using ATiTool for artifact scanning, coolbits for overclocking.

Temps are fine. 85c max.

Well I just got approved for the step up to the ultra today through eVGA and technically you have to send it back as an RMA. Just so you know :p .

Well, I'd tell you to keep it, but I don't really know how important it is for you to get higher speeds.

If you were to sell it, how much would you sell it for? I might be interested.

Risiko said:
Well, I'd tell you to keep it, but I don't really know how important it is for you to get higher speeds.

If you were to sell it, how much would you sell it for? I might be interested.

$350 probably, but only after I confirm an order on a BFG that's arriving soon.

blbrchnk said:
Well I just got approved for the step up to the ultra today through eVGA and technically you have to send it back as an RMA. Just so you know :p .

Bah.

how did your max overclock drop? i get artifacts in the ATI Tool artifact checker, but i don't see ANY in the games i play.

I have a BFG 6800gt, it was stable at 400/1100 but not anymore. Now if I run at 400/1100 I get dropped to desktop from games and such. So I'm back at stock, it's more than fast enough for me coming from a 9500 pro.

felix88 said:
how did your max overclock drop? i get artifacts in the ATI Tool artifact checker, but i don't see ANY in the games i play.

they're there... I can sometimes see them. I'm mostly worried about stability. But, we'll see.

It also used to pass the test button at 400/1100, not now.

For one day, and one day only my PNY would only pass the tests at 390/1000. But before that and after that I've been running at 420/1200 stable. So who knows ;)

either keep it or trade up for 6800U, its not worth the hassle of switching cards for at best an extra 10-20mhz core, at worst nothing or less.

personally i don't see the point though, anyplace a 6800gt stock chokes, an ultra is gonna choke too. they are the same card really.

tranCendenZ said:
either keep it or trade up for 6800U, its not worth the hassle of switching cards for at best an extra 10-20mhz core, at worst nothing or less.

personally i don't see the point though, anyplace a 6800gt stock chokes, an ultra is gonna choke too. they are the same card really.

It's the principal of the matter... :p

Logical bastard... :D

lopoetve said:
Temps are fine. 85c max.

Your temps are not fine. My max is 76C @ 425/1.1GHz

Improve your airflow or you will experience similar problems with ocing, regardless what card you get.

plur said:
Your temps are not fine. My max is 76C @ 425/1.1GHz

Improve your airflow or you will experience similar problems with ocing, regardless what card you get.

Base thermal throttling is at 125c.

Case temps are a cool 32c, and cpu runs in the low low 40's.

I'd say flash it and add the extra .1 volts. My overclock went from autodetecting at 390/1.08 to 428/1.11.

Yea the bios flash is always an option....my pny maxed out at 385/1150...wasn't happy with the core so i flashed it to a modded GT bios that added the .1v and now im sitting at 415/1150

Back