• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NuForce uDAC-2 and Win7 64

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
7,280
Yesterday I put together a new PC, and my NuForce uDAC2 was working fine with it.

I rebooted to let Windows update do it's thing, and now Windows won't cooperate with the NuForce. It won't output any sound, and when I try to test the NuForce I get a generic error saying Windows failed to play the test sound. I've tried different USB ports to no avail.

If I switch sound output to my monitor speakers via HDMI it works fine.

The NuForce works fine with my laptop.

If I switch USB ports Windows goes through it's whole "download drivers from Windows update" process and always claims that process was successful.

I'm stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sort of update: it works fine if I plug it directly into the motherboard (before it was working off my powered USB hub). Not ideal but it will do for now.
 
Last edited:
maybe plug into the hub than do a driver delete through device manager and reboot
 
I was already thinking in my head what I was going to say, but then I got to the bottom of your post and you reconfirmed what I was already thinking.

Chances are you are not getting enough juice from the USB HUB and or front panel USB ports. For something like an external sound processor / amplifier, you really want the most juice you can get. A dedicated USB port directly from the back of the motherboard is what you want.
 
I recently discovered that the power supply to my USB hub had died without me realizing it. The hub's "power on" light was still coming on when the system is running, but it was turning off when the system is off. It normally doesn't do that. Now I need to find a replacement AC adapter for it.

So the AC adapter for the hub must have died at some point without me realizing it, and so the hub went from being powered to unpowered.
 
There you go :)

Thanks for replying back with what you found, it makes perfect sense.
 
Back
Top