NTLDR not found! please help!

Max-Powers

Gawd
I was playing BF2, then suddenly my computer turned off. Thought it overheated so I checked the temp. It was 56 (had bout 30 sec to cool off) So I go to load up windows and it says NTLDR not found, press ctrl-alt-del to reboot. I rebooted several times and still not found. So I go to my other hard drive and install of windows, and I dont see my other hard drive in windows explorer! What happend?

This has happened to me before. All I did was just reformat. I think it tends to occur when you improperly shut down the comp or something. I'm not quite sure. You can try recovering windows.

How about ejecting the floppy or cd and reboot.

If the hard drive is the problem, You could also insert an OS CD and let it boot normally. You can also fix teh boot partition with the fixboot command from within the recovery console (which is an option when booting with the OS CD).

i cant reformat! I got all my information on there. You think a repair windows will work?
How can I access my hard drive from my other install of windows? It doesnt see it in explorer

Does your BIOS detect the drive?

Have you run manufacturer diagnostics on the drive?

Is your power supply up to snuff?

Have you checked for corruption?

That same thing happened to my cousin. Windows repair failed with 3 disks tried too. We had to boot his computer off a Linux LiveCD and recover the info through the console and zip disks (didn't recognize the CD Burner). I suggest Ubuntu for this kind of task, but you need to have some knowledge of linux commands because you need to mount the Hard Drive, and the drive that you are going to copy the data too. I might add, this is not as easy as it sounds (if it sounds easy at all). It is not just point, click and drag. Ubuntu seems to be the best out of all of the Live CDs that we had because it recognized the most stuff off the bat (which wasn't much I must say)

Live CDs tried but either didn't have root terminal or wouldn't mound C drive:

P.H.L.A.K.
Auditor Security Collection
Knoppix
Damn Small Linux
Slax
Luit Linux

None of these worked for what we needed to do.

BIOS does detect it
Downloading stuff for diagnostics now
My powersupply is OCZ 550 W. Dont think its gone bad
How would I check for corruption

can I just instal a nother copy of windows on the hard drive?

Can I repair a Winxp Pro version of windows with a Winxp Home cd? Any way I can reinstal Windows without loosing all my data?

FIXED!!!!

instaled another copy of windows on the same hard drive. when it got the the screen asking which operating system I wanted to run, I picked my old Windows XP Pro, and it booted right up. Well, time to backup my data... thx for the help everyone. I was realy scared there for a sec

Had this happen to me a while back. Here is more info.

Anyhow, when I added a partition I made it active - thus the primary partition no longer booted.

If the files are just borked, you can snag the ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com files on a floppy from a working machine. Trying the recovery mode from booting the win2k CD does the same thing.

All that said, sounds like you are golden...

Back