• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NTLDR Missing message when I disconnect a HD

Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,173
Ok, this question might be sorta dumb, but I have never been into software as much as hardware.

Anyway, my system currently has 3 HD's - a 60GB, 80GB, and 250GB. Originally, I had windows installed on the 60GB. It booted off of that drive as well. Not too long ago I decided to do a fresh install on my 250GB sata drive. It all works fine except when I don't set the 60GB drive to boot first in the BIOS, I get a NTLDR is missing, press ctrl-alt-delete to restart message.

Just for reference, I am using XP Pro SP2.

Ok, so I want everything to work off of only the 250 GB drive. I tried the following in order:

1. Fixboot
2. Copied NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from windows xp sp2 disk to root C: (windows is installed on this partition).
3. Fixboot
4. Fixmbr
5. Repeat 2 and 3

So, I still get the message. I am thinking the issue might lie with the boot.ini file, but I am not sure how to edit that in the recovery console as I can only get as low as C:\WINDOWS, and not C:\.

What do I do? The data on the drive is important, so I don't want to reformat and whatnot.

Thanks.
 
I fixed it :). I didn't realize that bootcfg was the command to bring up the boot.ini file and edit it within the recovery console.
 
Back
Top