ntldr missing error

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
got the strangest phone call from my folks tonight. when they tried to boot win xp pro they get a msg that NTLDR is missing please reboot. well i took them into the recovery console to try and replace the missing file like webtree says to try and do. but the strangest thing is that the windows drive in C:\ its I:. when i asked them to go to setup and try and formatt the drive it says that the serial ATA harddrive is I: and that its formated NTSC. my questions are how the heck to i get the boot drive from I:\ back to C:\ and if i cant can i just replace the NTLDR file on the I: drive and have it boot that way.

Also if the XP cd is in the CD-Rom windows will regularly and the boot harddrive will be recoginized as C:\

this is like the craziest thing i think i have ever seen.

hope you can shed some light for me.

thanks
Ryan

Hmmm hate to do it but the first thing that comes into my mind when I see this error is:

"Is there a floppy disk in the drive?"

Cause if there is and it's not a bootable disc then it will give this error.

Other than that I don't have a better answer for you other than "good luck".

Have them boot from the CD and run a repair install.

As far as the drive formatting....NTSC is for TVs...NTFS is what you were thinking of :)

Maybe their problem is that they're using a TV to store their data instead of a hard drive :p

Only thing I can suggest is check your BIOS to make sure the settings are normal and then unplug all drives cept for the one with Windows. Ive had problems with IDE drives taking precedence over SATA drives, giving the SATA drive a higher letter even tho it was the drive with Windows.

Only thing I can suggest is check your BIOS to make sure the settings are normal and then unplug all drives cept for the one with Windows. Ive had problems with IDE drives taking precedence over SATA drives, giving the SATA drive a higher letter even tho it was the drive with Windows.

Aslander...whats with you and the double posting (in a few threads I've seen) to boost your n00bie post++ count...

His parents PC has XP Pro? What kind of PC is this? What's the model if it's a store bought, or did you build it for them. You're asking us to assume a lot here, so a bit more information will help us assume more to help resolve the problem.

true i am asking a lot. i rebuilt it last week and when i left everything was working fine. Bios is fine and everything is set to work the way it is suppose to. im just at a loss as to what is causing it. i guess i forgot to mention that the IDE drives are on a PCI card and i have never had problems with that card. i guess i can just tell them to formatt and try again

cheers

Dunno what's with the double posting, I'm not spamming the button or anything. And I could give a rat's ass about post count, post count doesnt make a person better ;)

just to put an end to this. the harddrive eventually failed. it just took about 2 days. thanks though for all who read.

Back