NTFS trouble

Mr. D.

Weaksauce
I recently change the volumenames of the harddrives in my download PC after which the drives werent accessible anymore through the network. Then I changed some permissions on the download PC and now the drives arent accessible on the download PC itself! I even reinstalled windows hoping that that would help. It didnt. So now I have 3 200GB drives with unaccessible data. :eek: Do you guys know how to get my data back? I never used other account names than my own name and the administrator account. I didnt use passwords on anything. :(

If you managed to set your NTFS permissions to System - No Access and Administrators - No Access, you've got a bit of work ahead.

You need to install a parallel copy of Windows into a different directory, say c:\wintemp. Boot into that copy. While logged in as the administrator account, take ownership of each drive from the root and reset permissions from the root level of each drive to Everyone - Full Control, propogating the permissions and ownership changes to all subdirectories.

Then you can boot back into the first copy and fix the permissions, delete the parallel install, and remove the entries for it from the boot.ini.

Have fun!

Well, I managed to take over the access rights so now I can access the data from the D/L PC but I still cant make the drives available through the network. When simple filesharing is enabled I can share the drives and they are visible on the network but they are not accessible. When simple filesharing is disabled they all have a standard share which cannot be deleted and they are still not available through the network.

Back