NTFS partitions

zhchua

Limp Gawd
I have 3 partitions on my HD that is NTFS.

I am currently running WinXP, but recently, my WinXP crashed and just refused to boot up for no reason.

I have Ubuntu's install cd on hand right now, and I want to make the switch.

My main concern is whether or not I'll lose data on 2 of my NTFS partitions if I install it on one of my NTFS partitions

if you install on one of those partitions, yes data on that partition will be lost!

What about the rest of the partitions?

How do I access it in Ubuntu?

Other NTFS partitions are visible to Linux, whether Ubuntu shipps with NTFS-kernel support? I dont know, but it is easy to enable it

you can READ fine, writing is a different story tho

Okay, Ubuntu's installed, sacrificed one partition.

Now where would my two partition drives be located?

Do you only have one hard drive?

Use fdisk to list partitions on the drive.
Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/hda

Then press 'p' to list partitions on the drive.

They will probably be called something like /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2. And then create a folder in /mnt (or /media which is whre Ubuntu usually sets mount points to), and execute this command.

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdX <destination>

Replace X with whatever partition you want to mount (a1, a2, etc.) and replace <destination> with whatever directory is the mount point.

Ubuntu (which uses GNOME) should be listing all yr partitions in hte "computer" icon

IF UBUNTU/GNOME can mount them they will be there

Done, now the problem is, I can only access the mount directories as root, I can't open them up via desktop as my desktop is in usermode.

I tried to chown the two directories, to no avail.

BillLeeLee said:
Do you only have one hard drive?

Use fdisk to list partitions on the drive.
Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/hda

Then press 'p' to list partitions on the drive.

They will probably be called something like /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2. And then create a folder in /mnt (or /media which is whre Ubuntu usually sets mount points to), and execute this command.

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdX <destination>

Replace X with whatever partition you want to mount (a1, a2, etc.) and replace <destination> with whatever directory is the mount point.

Back