NTFS Corruption with Mac OS X?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I have a USB hard drive that is formatted with NTFS (so I can use it on both my Mac and PC.) however, I've been having problems with files seemingly corrupted: MP3s will end up having errors in them and ISO files will end up screwed up (they won't install and the MD5 will change.) I've used both Paragon NTFS as well as NTFS-3G.

Has anyone seen an issue like this before? Could it be the drive itself, the partition, or is it likely to be the NTFS driver? this is quite frusturating for me, and I would sincerely appreciate any advice from anyone! THANKS!

scoot

On which side are they corrupt?

Both sides, mac side, or PC side?

And are they getting corrupt after you've written to the disk? or are you just reading?

Is it absolutely necessary to have the disk in NTFS? I don't trust the paragon driver since I had a crucial FW drive get FUBAR'd on me with that one.

I'd say if possible re-format the drive as FAT-32 - OSX can natively read and write that.

I rarely use Windows now, but I have problems whenever I access them from both the Mac and PC. I still want the drive to be readable by Windows systems, though.

I would use FAT32, but I have a lot of files that are over 4GB. I think what I will do is make a FAT32 partition for stuff less than 4GB, then use a HFS partition for files smaller than 4GB.

thanks for your advice!

Another option could be to go the other way around - format your spare drive as an HFS volume and use MacDrive in Windows to read from/write to that...

Or use EXT3, which can be used within MacOS X and Windows with stable drivers.

Back