NT Backup not backing up Exchange?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

This morning I ran NT backup to do a backup but when I went to restore to see what had been backed up with Exchange it was empty. The restore file is 188MB but when I go into it and look in the store and logs nothing is in it. Shouldnt it show me the mailboxes that it backed up or the logs? I did move the store and logs to another drive but I would think that if NT backup can find the store it should know where to get the files.

NTbackup is not designed to do mailbox level backups, it may however backup the Exchange database as a whole.

Any errors or warnings in the event logs?

Nope no errors, the main reason I ask is because I am used to BackupExec. When you backup the store with BE you can see each individual mailbox because it does a brick level backup. I don't have BE running on my server yet because I need the Exchange agent.

Im assuming that NT backup just backs up the 2 files that Exchange uses. However I am wondering when I explore the backup I cant see them or the log files...

SJConsultant said:
You could do that, but if you need to restore a *single* mailbox then your SOL.

Unless you use something like ontrack powercontrols. Do info store backup, but can restore individual mailboxes/messages/whatever to PST or directly back into exchange DB. Infostore backups also go much faster than brick level backups.

da sponge said:
Unless you use something like ontrack powercontrols. Do info store backup, but can restore individual mailboxes/messages/whatever to PST or directly back into exchange DB. Infostore backups also go much faster than brick level backups.

Thanks for the info, I never knew such a tool existed :) This will be added to my data recovery tools.

The pricing on the tool exceeds that of buying the necessary licenses from Veritas, so I can't see someone using it as an alternative backup and restore method.

Since I only have about 10 mailboxes to backup brick level is the best for me. If I had a large company and the backup wasnt able to finish overnight then I would do smoething else.

Back