NT 4.0 to Active Directory (Server 2003)

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
I have about 50+ pages of documentation from many different sources (Google, Microsoft KB, some books I picked up, etc). However, I want to know if anyone here has some personal experience in migrating 200+ NT 4.0 users over to Active Directory and how it went. It seems that there are two methods that work best.

1.) Upgrade the current NT 4.0 server to Server 2003 via disc and viola. (This won't work because the hardware is too old thus leads me to #2.)

2.) Bring in a machine that is capable of running both NT 4.0 and Server 2003, make it the PDC and let everything replicate for at least a couple of hours then upgrade the machine to Server 2003 and let the PDC emulator do the work until a permanent 2003 box can be brought up.

Some hands on experience and tips from you guys would be helpful.

The best way to upgrade an NT domain is to bring in a new box, install 2003 on it, add it as a PDC for the legacy domain, then remove the old domain BDCs one at a time. Take your time, test everything first, and allow time for proper replication to occur.

The best way to upgrade an NT domain is to bring in a new box, install 2003 on it, add it as a PDC for the legacy domain, then remove the old domain BDCs one at a time. Take your time, test everything first, and allow time for proper replication to occur.

His option 2 would work but I agree with how you want to do it.

Setup the 2003 box as a domain controller and move everything you need off the nt4 box(shares etc). Then bring the 2k3 box up to PDC and remove the nt4 box.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would say your biggest problems will come in if you aren't patient with the replication.

Every time I've done NT 4.0 to AD migrations (twice), I've waited overnight for the replication. Turned out smooth both times.

Every time I've done NT 4.0 to AD migrations (twice), I've waited overnight for the replication. Turned out smooth both times.
This is what I do as well. It's best not to rush it, especially when you start removing things.

Whereas, with me, I hate the idea of bits of NT left around on my spanking new 2003 Server box (trust me, NT to 2000\2003 Server upgrades DO leave stuff around). I'll usually just go for the clean install.

However, of course, this won't suit all situations... and I only ever do this well a well thought out automated script to run after install to get everything back the way it was. :)

I have done Option 2 before. It is hard to find a machine that NT 4 will load on these days and is capable of running Windows 2003 server so you want to shoot for one from around 2001-2003

What I did was load NT 4 on the temp machine as a BDC, made it the PDC and then did an in-place upgrade to Windows 2003 server. Then I DCPromo'ed my new server into the domain.

After everything replicated I then used DCPromo on the temporary machine to remove it from the domain. I do not remember how I removed the original NT 4 PDC machine from the domain but don't recall having any trouble.

Successfully upgraded this evening. Will post more information tomorrow.

Back