NSA Programs Could Be Redesigned To Prevent Abuses

HardOCP News

[H] News
I told you these spying programs weren't bad, they just need to be redesigned. :rolleyes:

Capping off a week of fireworks over the NSA's surveillance programs, President Barack Obama said Friday that he's open to reform but that specifics won't come till the New Year. He also called the current debate over spying necessary but said disclosures by Edward Snowden had "damaged" the US and its intelligence capabilities.

Anyone know the name of the PR firm the NSA hired? They seem to be doing a wonderful job. Spin-doctor of the year award imo.

Apparently no one actually watched the conference like I did. An example that the President gave was that rather than the NSA collecting data, they could tweak the laws regarding how long private companies must hold data.

He also pointed out that people complain about the NSA collecting data, but if a terror attack happens, they complain that the NSA didn't do enough to stop it.

So what do you want, folks? You can't have it both ways.

He also pointed out that people complain about the NSA collecting data, but if a terror attack happens, they complain that the NSA didn't do enough to stop it.

If they're criminals, get a warrant.

This infrastructure can be used to suppress dissent or blackmail people. Even if they're clean the NSA can make up something incriminating with little oversight.

It doesn't make sense to prevent terrorism by sending missile strikes against wedding parties.

We're under the assumption that NSA is stopping terrorism, but we'll never know.
Things like the partriot act should be ended though..

3SNVmLy.png

If they're criminals, get a warrant.

This infrastructure can be used to suppress dissent or blackmail people. Even if they're clean the NSA can make up something incriminating with little oversight.

It doesn't make sense to prevent terrorism by sending missile strikes against wedding parties.
You're right. Like I said, they talked about an option is to increase the amount of time the private industry must store old data so that the government can get a warrant to look into someone.

The NSA itself does not need to collect or hold onto data. They can simply be the intermediate that works with private industry to retrieve data on possible terror threats.

Yes you fucking can. They went pass the line. Why did they share their info about us with Israel? Benjamin Franklin said it best.

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

You want to lose your rights, then there should be list you can voluntarily join, but keep everyone else out. I don't trust the government, because they're in bed with corporations. As we learned, companies really like to know about everything we do. It's how Google makes their money.

I don't feel any safer with them spying.

I'll go with option C: Not listen to folks who believe the answer to terrorism is more data collection.

We're under the assumption that NSA is stopping terrorism, but we'll never know.
Things like the partriot act should be ended though..

exactly. if no act of terror happens, it's because the intelligence services protected us. if one happens, it's because we didn't have enough surveillance. this kind of thinking is the problem together with the "if you're a good person, you don't have to hide anything anyway" attitude.

Russia and Saudi Arabia warned US about the Boston bombers and the usual alphabet of US agencies didn't do squat. Meanwhile this admin has used the dame agencies to defame veterans as more dangerous than black Muslim converts (who the FBI has been told to ignore according to STRATFOR).

This is the same admin that protected the Ft Hood shooter from a Congressional investigation (Sen Lieberman had to get a subpoena - let New Panthers off from sentencing as they were already convicted after not showing up in court) - sent arms to Al Qaeda in Syria and never pursed the AQ that killed US personnel in Benghazi - got 250 Mexicans killed in Fast and Furious - was found in Contempt of court over Gulf drilling ban, charged with unconstitutional actions over recess appointments - bullied investors out of their legal claims with Chrylser - said energy execs needed to be treated like Romans treated crucifixion victims - used IRS against citizens to suppress the vote - meets at the White House with SEIU execs (Stephen Lerner) who openly call for the creation of a "crisis" to being Wall St and banks to their knees - and so on.

The main problem is this admin is flat out wicked. I knew Bush admin was foolish to create all the extra laws and agencies because the Dems would some day turn them against the people - as they have. Its like Clinton telling FBI to drop Muslim investigations for "militia" investigation - actions purely motivated by politics as Dick Morris admitted later. Of course before Clinton you had people like Eddie Kennedy conspiring with Soviets to hurt Reagan in exchange for aid in elections.

"Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit"
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/te...eagan-opinions-columnists-peter-robinson.html

don't be foolish. without the "abuses" they would not be accomplishing their goals.

Am I the only one who is getting tired of seeing a story about the NSA on the front page every day, even though realistically the situation has not and will not change?

... well tell the NSA to stop FKing up and they won't make the news.

I had to laugh at the Sunday talk shows, a barage of NSA hacks trying to spin, insisting that there have been no abuses of the data.

Only problem is, the NSA's own Inspector General's report listed dozens of instances of abuse, like spying on your girlfriend of wife's phone conversations and text messages. Dozens have been fired as a result of that IG report.

Anyone with a brain realizes, the IG report is likely just the tip of the iceberg.

There are also a dozen lawsuits that have been stymied, over NSA abuses and illegality, through the NSA claiming "National Security" and "State Secrets" protection. Just because we can't get past the bullshit unverifiable secrecy claims in court DOES NOT mean they are innocent. They are guilty, just using loopholes to cover their asses.

Back