NRA Blames Video Games For Violence

You are going to stay on that sinking ship until it is underwater it seems. You have an extreme position that you want to say, but you are just not willing to admit it. You are making concessions when no concessions should be made. Either you are okay with the 2nd amendment or your aren't.

In your case, you are not okay with it. Admit it so that we can be honest and then we might be able to have a grown up conversation.

Right, sure she is. Thanks.

Because you had a certain experience means that she is wrong. You don't even know what area she grew up in. If she saw no homeless or mentally unstable people roaming the streets of her neighborhood, shes full of shit?

No, but I have relatives that I grew up with in Detroit, and they're under no illusions that Detroit was homeless and crazy-person free during the old days. ;)

1) I don't really care about banning anything, I just want regulation on who has access to what. Having a special permit to carry a rifle in addition to a handgun is THAT big a deal that you can't agree?

Wait...first you just wanted permits for rifles and shotguns, now you want them for all guns? Keep your initiatives straight.

2) Um, yes. Just like whether or not your vision is good or your accident history is taken into question.

Do we have a problem with people driving cars into others and killing them? I sure haven't seen cars being blamed for mass murder or homicides. However, you apparently think we should change driving license procedures on the basis of...what, exactly? That I gave you an idea for ways that government should rule our lives a little more?

3)No, but if my mentally unstable child stole my car/gun/computer/brass knuckles and uses it to commit a crime, YES.

So when your mentally unstable child smothers your new baby when you're out of the room for a minute, should you be charged with murder?

So when your mentally unstable child smothers your new baby when you're out of the room for a minute, should you be charged with murder?

You were responsible for both children. No, you shouldn't be charged with murder but its child negligence none-the-less.

To you above statement about my mother being "full of shit".

Like I said before, you don't not know her, neither does your friend. I'm quite positive they didn't grow up in the same neighborhood/area. Her experience as a child coming up in her neighborhood is obviously quite different from your friend's.

Don't be a jerk.

He sure does like to get the last word huh :D

Also, you made a blanket statement about Detroit earlier which was obviously false. You got called out on it and now you are arguing. You mother said something, great that is fine. It doesn't mean it is correct. I guess if you want to believe everything your mother told you then go right ahead. You know sometimes people are wrong.

Stiletto was not being a jerk. The fact that you are unable to handle criticism just shows how small minded you are acting on this forum. It is truly sad IMO. Hopefully you can start to act with a bit more of an open mind and not be so terribly defensive when people question your opinions.

He's trolling [H]ard ruining the thread. I can tell he didn't even read almost any of the the thread too because what he's saying has been answered like 10 times. Also he asks questions like this.

My gripe is with the fact that people can just get a permit and go to a store and pick up various rifles and shotguns. What do you need it for? Don't tell me its to protect the country...
It's to protect the country...from tyranny and anyone with a brain should know this or at the very least learned it when it was stated the 50 times it was mentioned in this thread alone.

He's trolling or stupid, one of them.

i dont know how the 2nd amendment can be used to protect against a tyranical government with a loyal miliitary force, any fool standing against them would be massively outgunned.

i don't know how the 2nd amendment can be used to protect against a tyrannical government with a loyal military force, any fool standing against them would be massively outgunned.

Since you don't know how it could work, it must not be true, possible, or the reason it was established in the first place, got it.

You were responsible for both children. No, you shouldn't be charged with murder but its child negligence none-the-less.

Oh, I see...so you should sometimes be responsible for the crimes your child commits, but other times it should be treated as "negligence". You have some interesting arbitrary standards.

To you above statement about my mother being "full of shit".

Like I said before, you don't not know her, neither does your friend. I'm quite positive they didn't grow up in the same neighborhood/area. Her experience as a child coming up in her neighborhood is obviously quite different from your friend's.

Don't be a jerk.

Wasn't a friend, they're relatives that I spent a good deal of time with. I don't care who your mother is. If she said the sky was yellow, I would also say she's full of shit. Same goes for claiming that Detroit was, at any point, free of homeless or crazy people. Some people put rose-colored glasses on the past. It's quite common, actually.

i dont know how the 2nd amendment can be used to protect against a tyranical government with a loyal miliitary force, any fool standing against them would be massively outgunned.

Britain had a loyal military force, and we defeated them. Britain had a loyal military force in Ireland, and the Irish beat them a century ago, and the IRA kept them on the defensive for 30 years. And how about how the Viet Cong handled our military force, and the Iraqis and Afghanis?

Britain had a loyal military force, and we defeated them. Britain had a loyal military force in Ireland, and the Irish beat them a century ago, and the IRA kept them on the defensive for 30 years. And how about how the Viet Cong handled our military force, and the Iraqis and Afghanis?

That was all like a million years ago, before mega-zap-you-from-our-giant-moon-laser technology existed. Average people with daddy's shotgun were on a technological parity with soldiers. Now, Hicksville Bubba has a big pickup truck which gets 3 MPG and a crappy rifle or shotgun to go up against a hypersonic aircraft that can hit a golfball with a missile from 80 miles away and Bubba doesn't have the budget to research similar weapons systems because he has to pay for satellite TV, his smartphone that plays "Cowboys are Secretly Fond of Each Other" when it rings, chewing tobacco, and the daily bottle of JD all on a minimum wage income while trying to dodge child support by freeloading between his friends trailers.

That was all like a million years ago, before mega-zap-you-from-our-giant-moon-laser technology existed. Average people with daddy's shotgun were on a technological parity with soldiers. Now, Hicksville Bubba has a big pickup truck which gets 3 MPG and a crappy rifle or shotgun to go up against a hypersonic aircraft that can hit a golfball with a missile from 80 miles away and Bubba doesn't have the budget to research similar weapons systems because he has to pay for satellite TV, his smartphone that plays "Cowboys are Secretly Fond of Each Other" when it rings, chewing tobacco, and the daily bottle of JD all on a minimum wage income while trying to dodge child support by freeloading between his friends trailers.

You so silly. Bubba ain't got no minimum wage income. He was let go from Wal-Mart after the naked lobster incident. He's living on 99 weeks of freedom, baby! Well...he is on week 97, though. No idea what he'll do after that.

People tend to forget the military's first mission is to protect the constitution. Many people seem to think the military has loyalty to the government before the people. That is just simply not true.

Average people...

Average people have changed the world ten times over. Also, nothing says out of control and needing to be stopped more than using weapons against the people that paid for them to be assembled in the first place. That would back fire so hard it'd be the dumbest move in history. The people in charge know it too.

You seem to overestimate the technology that the military possesses. Also you seem to believe that the US military will lightly attack citizens of the United States because they are told to. Do you really believe US soldiers would attack US citizens just because they own unregistered firearms?

Yes, we have advanced technology and advanced weaponry; however, the modern day assault rifle (true assault rifle) is using 19th century technology. So please explain to me why there is such an uproar to ban technology that is over 100 years old???

Average people have changed the world ten times over. Also, nothing says out of control and needing to be stopped more than using weapons against the people that paid for them to be assembled in the first place. That would back fire so hard it'd be the dumbest move in history. The people in charge know it too.

Most people agree that we need a police force and most police funding comes from taxes. It has problems just like any other organization with people in it, but it is a necessary fixture of society. Only a few crazies are screaming foul over that.

You seem to overestimate the technology that the military possesses. Also you seem to believe that the US military will lightly attack citizens of the United States because they are told to. Do you really believe US soldiers would attack US citizens just because they own unregistered firearms?

Of course they would. It's been historically true that, even in huge messes that involve the overthrow of governments, there are loyalists and rebellion sorts. Outside of widespread chaos, I'm pretty sure that a paid up member of the military would do what's necessary to protect the public from nutters who are a danger to the rest of society. That's part of what they do.

Yes, we have advanced technology and advanced weaponry; however, the modern day assault rifle (true assault rifle) is using 19th century technology. So please explain to me why there is such an uproar to ban technology that is over 100 years old???

I dunno...because the NRA said it was video games and not guns so all the computer nerds are upset? It has something to do with emotions and stuff, but I don't know much about that. I'm just a Skribbel, after all.

Of course they would. It's been historically true that, even in huge messes that involve the overthrow of governments, there are loyalists and rebellion sorts. Outside of widespread chaos, I'm pretty sure that a paid up member of the military would do what's necessary to protect the public from nutters who are a danger to the rest of society. That's part of what they do.

I dunno...because the NRA said it was video games and not guns so all the computer nerds are upset? It has something to do with emotions and stuff, but I don't know much about that. I'm just a Skribbel, after all.

This whole post is full of nothing of substance. You criticize then you downplay your intelligence. Also, you have an odd sense of what the military is in place for. As active duty Army I will tell you that just because someone higher up tells me to go attack a US citizen doesn't mean that I am going to do that without a truly legitimate CONSTITUTIONAL reason to do it.

You can go on believing what you want, but I highly encourage you to educate yourself on the issue before you spout nonsense opinions.

SkribbelKat, how did you go from this... (in the context of the people going up against their our own tyrannical government)
That was all like a million years ago, before mega-zap-you-from-our-giant-moon-laser technology existed. Average people with daddy's shotgun were on a technological parity with soldiers. Now, Hicksville Bubba has a big pickup truck which gets 3 MPG and a crappy rifle or shotgun to go up against a hypersonic aircraft that can hit a golfball with a missile from 80 miles away
To this...
Most people agree that we need a police force and most police funding comes from taxes.
I see what you did there. You trolled.

This whole post is full of nothing of substance. You criticize then you downplay your intelligence. Also, you have an odd sense of what the military is in place for. As active duty Army I will tell you that just because someone higher up tells me to go attack a US citizen doesn't mean that I am going to do that without a truly legitimate CONSTITUTIONAL reason to do it.

You can go on believing what you want, but I highly encourage you to educate yourself on the issue before you spout nonsense opinions.

I'm pretty sure I don't have enough emotional investment in the issue to really care one way or the other (or get upset when someone tries to make me care). ;) The military is a neutral instrument of the State and, if you'e given an unlawful order by a superior, it's your obligation to disobey it. If the matter warrants it, an Article 32 investigation will lead into a court martial that will determine if insuborination exists or if the order was indeed unlawful. None of that is at all what I'm talking about though and I think you kinda missed the point of both of my posts while you were busy being offended and looking at me to determine if I didn't have any clue about how the military judicial system works. :p Lighten up, it's a weekend and everyone is pretty much off duty tomorrow.

SkribbelKat, how did you go from this... (in the context of the people going up against their our own tyrannical government)
To this...
I see what you did there. You trolled.

SHHHH!!!! You'll blow my cleverly devised cover! ;)

He is a troll. He is playing both sides and not doing a very good job. Tells me to relax, when in fact I am attempting to have a civilized conversation. Oh well, TROLLOLOLOLOLOLing along he goes.

We would? Thats news to me.

SHHHH!!!! You'll blow my cleverly devised cover! ;)
Don't worry, we'll try and keep it quiet, I'm sure no one notices your trolling, especially when you carefully masked it by writing it in your signature :D

He is a troll. He is playing both sides and not doing a very good job. Tells me to relax, when in fact I am attempting to have a civilized conversation. Oh well, TROLLOLOLOLOLOLing along he goes.

Both sides of what? All of these issues are different subsidiary issues of the main point.

-Bubba's redneck limo and grandpappy's shotgun won't stop someone from dropping a bomb on him from 20,000 feet over his shack.

-Taxpayers fund police organizations that buy guns and, when necessary, shoot at dangerous citizens.

-Members of the military should disobey unlawful orders, but when given a lawful order to cause harm in defense of the nation, whether the target is foreign or domestic (or did you forget the domestic part ;)?), they're legally obligated to do so under the terms of their service.

None of those are "sides" but statements of fact that, because they're not really arguable, but appear to possibly disagree with your perception of my opinion, are now being written off as trolling because there's really nothing else to be said about each of them. Beyond pouting and name-calling to be disagreeable, I don't see what point you're attempting to make. Articulate it and I'd be happy to troll yo-...err...discuss the matter with you. (That last line is a freebie that you can use to keep calling me a troll if you wanna escape further interaction. If you take it, I totally won't be offended or even make fun of you, I promise!)

Don't worry, we'll try and keep it quiet, I'm sure no one notices your trolling, especially when you carefully masked it by writing it in your signature :D

It's the best place to hide such a thing...in plain sight where everyone can see it. Then again, when discussing topics like these, pretty much everyone is blinded by emotions and doesn't read much before responding.

Sadly you actually believe the drivel you are writing. There is no having a discussion when you are drinking the koolaid so blatantly.

Sadly you actually believe the drivel you are writing. There is no having a discussion when you are drinking the koolaid so blatantly.

Yes, I do believe that Bubba will be dealt with properly if he tries anything illegal/stupid. I also am fairly sure police are funded by taxes. I'm furthermore certain that you swear an oath that includes verbage about dealing with domestic enemies of the state around the time you sign an enlistment contract. (Presumably you're enlisted since most officers tend to be a bit more well-spoken.) Also, I'll just leave this here:

...when in fact I am attempting to have a civilized conversation...

Those chose video games becuase if they said Hollywood then the MPAA would be suing the shit out of them. Last time I looked at my pistol it was an inert object. It wasn't doing anything bad or good, it was just there. Put that in a responsible person's hands and it's fine. Put in an irresponsible person's hands and it becomes something else. This pussification of America and passing the blame to everyone else but the parties involved is mind boggling to me.

I applaud you on missing the entire point of the gun argument. Not many people can see such a large scale debate and be totally fucking confused about it, but you've managed it just fine.

So please explain to me why there is such an uproar to ban technology that is over 100 years old???

The atom bomb is over 65 years old. Why the fuck am I not allowed to purchase one on the open market? Chemical and biological weapons are based on technology dating back hundreds of years, why am I not allowed to stockpile and carry them around in self defense?

I know this is the slippery slope argument, and its quite honestly perfect for such an absurd misunderstanding that the Constitution grants any random citizen the unabridged right to own a personal weapon. Oh wait, we are all the militia. Right. :rolleyes:

People tend to forget the military's first mission is to protect the constitution. Many people seem to think the military has loyalty to the government before the people. That is just simply not true.

Government = People = Military

THEY'RE ALL FUCKING AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot fathom how people do not understand this. Senators, Representatives, Mayors, Governors and not grown in fucking test tubes with a goal of world domination. They come from the very communities we live in. It is also the responsibility of the PEOPLE to keep them in line. The PEOPLE need to tell them where to draw the line, or put them on the unemployment list if they don't. I am so sick and tired of people thinking the government is some fucking distant entity. Our founding fathers and every soldier since has fought and died so that government would continue to equal people. I can't stand how no one realizes this. Less than half the nations in the world have the freedom of self government we have. Instead of bitching and fucking moaning about how bad government is, get out there, get fucking active and change it. The Constitution gives you that right. The mentality that you can't impact government or it is some evil entity beyond your reach is sickening. That kind of apathy is exactly why we have things like the Patriot Act. Because no one cared. People throughout history have been able to change their government without the benefit of the internet and freedom of press we have right now. Going out at voting these jokers out of a job is far more effective than any gun you own at bringing about change.

/end rant about the apathy in American voters

I see this circular argument a lot. We need guns to protect us from government, but the military would never attack us. Since the military is government, and its commander in chief is the president...

So which is it, do we need guns to fight the military? or would the military never attack civilians and therefore we do not need guns?

The atom bomb is over 65 years old. Why the fuck am I not allowed to purchase one on the open market? Chemical and biological weapons are based on technology dating back hundreds of years, why am I not allowed to stockpile and carry them around in self defense?

I know this is the slippery slope argument, and its quite honestly perfect for such an absurd misunderstanding that the Constitution grants any random citizen the unabridged right to own a personal weapon. Oh wait, we are all the militia. Right. :rolleyes:

Guns protect us against Tyranny, don't cha know?

You obviously don't understand the role of the military. The military is not government that is where you are mistaken. The military is in place to defend the constitution, not government. If the government becomes tyrannical then it is the duty of the citizenship (including military) to fight against it.

Bubba's redneck limo and grandpappy's shotgun won't stop someone (You mean our own government right?) from dropping a bomb on him from 20,000 feet over his shack.

I honestly don't think you understand what would happen if they EVER did this which is why they NEVER would dare. However if they were stupid enough to start dropping bombs on their own citizens, it would only prove to the entire world how out of control they really are. It would be unquestionably obvious to anyone that matters. Using the bombs on us we paid for to be built is just a clear case of an out of control government, period!

Taxpayers fund police organizations that buy guns and, when necessary, shoot at dangerous citizens.
Police keep the peace. Our military dropping a bomb on its own population is a tad bit different than the police department having guns to keep the peace. SMH...

Members of the military should disobey unlawful orders, but when given a lawful order to cause harm in defense of the nation, whether the target is foreign or domestic (or did you forget the domestic part ;)?), they're legally obligated to do so under the terms of their service.
You're splitting hairs here. If "the people" say enough is enough and rise up in a revolution then the military is supposed to be for us because after all it's by us. The problems arise when the rich corrupted fucks in control that got us into this mess don't want to lose (their acquired lifestyle while others suffer) and command the military to do things they're not supposed to do. We the people just have to hope our military is still on our payroll (which I fear they might not be as the richest corrupt fucks have all the money and power).

None of those are "sides" but statements of fact
Yet you miss so many yourself. On top of that the people would fucking set this country on fire in 1.2 seconds if our military starts dropping bombs on citizens (which they never would be that' dumb) at home like they do everywhere else in the world now. Is the whole world their enemy?

are now being written off as trolling
You troll daily but play whack a mole when making a point then right back to trolling daily. It's hard to take one serious, seriously.

Government = People = Military

THEY'RE ALL FUCKING AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However persuasive international banks are not. Corporations are not. Lobbyists are not (for us).
See, money and power don't hold a nations values as its own. Corruption is global!

I honestly don't think you understand what would happen if they EVER did this which is why they NEVER would dare. However if they were stupid enough to start dropping bombs on their own citizens, it would only prove to the entire world how out of control they really are. It would be unquestionably obvious to anyone that matters. Using the bombs on us we paid for to be built is just a clear case of an out of control government, period!

Police keep the peace. Our military dropping a bomb on its own population is a tad bit different than the police department having guns to keep the peace. SMH...

You're splitting hairs here. If "the people" say enough is enough and rise up in a revolution then the military is supposed to be for us because after all it's by us. The problems arise when the rich corrupted fucks in control that got us into this mess don't want to lose (their acquired lifestyle while others suffer) and command the military to do things they're not supposed to do. We the people just have to hope our military is still on our payroll (which I fear they might not be as the richest corrupt fucks have all the money and power).

Yet you miss so many yourself. On top of that the people would fucking set this country on fire in 1.2 seconds if our military starts dropping bombs on citizens (which they never would be that' dumb) at home like they do everywhere else in the world now. Is the whole world their enemy?

Well, the most wealthy have been in control since the start. The founding father types were mostly wealthy business owners who were most adversely impacted by taxes. They organized the rebellion and all that...got the French involved...and so forth. So that's not really changed. Poor people are powerless and generally lack the mental cacity or motivation to change things because they're mostly happy (despite complaints) with drinking their lives away and getting lost in whatever screen happens to be feeding them information.

Also, you're right, they would start burning down their own homes and looting local businesses when and if a government institution acted with force necessary to protect the safety and well-being of society. Riots over dumber things have happened before. No arguments there, but I do think they're dumb if they do it.

You troll daily but play whack a mole when making a point then right back to trolling daily. It's hard to take one serious, seriously.

You're doing it wrong if you're taking me seriously at all, you know. I'm mostly just using the easily excited people here for LOLs and I'd never even really deny it because it's true. Why should anyone take this seriously? Arguing with random people on the Internet doesn't change things. There's better ways to get your point across to people who have a say in making decisions. :D

You obviously don't understand the role of the military. The military is not government that is where you are mistaken. The military is in place to defend the constitution, not government. If the government becomes tyrannical then it is the duty of the citizenship (including military) to fight against it.

Then who is this mythical government you need a gun to fight against? CIA, FBI, local police? They're all just Americans same as you and I, with families and a moral conscience same as you and I.

Also the military is sword to uphold the Constitution. The Constitution says the President is commander of the armed forces and there fore they are also sworn to follow his orders. Congress per the Constitution is the one who can declare war and martial law. Even further, the Constitution justifies martial law in cases of rebellion, such as gun owners refusing to give up guns if they were ever illegal.

So the Constitution which you say the military is sworn to uphold actually lays out the laws and rights of the government to declare martial law and use the armed forces internally.

Article 1, Section 9 of the US Constitution states, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

So we're back to square one. Either the military completely out guns you as is, and your'e fucked, or the military wouldn't take action, and you don't need guns in the first place. But the Constitution laws out exactly how military action can be used internally.

I did forget to mention the National Guard. While it varies state by state, generally most National Guards are under command of the state governor and are permitted to be used internally within the state.

Back