Now Windows 7 / 8 Can't run DRM-Protected Games?

Read past the first two sentences and find out about the workaround.

I think you missed my point. It was one thing that this was pushed out by default in Windows 10 but now it's being pushed (regardless of whether there is a workaround or not) all the way back to Windows Vista.

If I wanted all of the headaches of Windows 10, I'd just upgrade to Windows 10.

Those DRM's are technically a malware, opening up huge security holes, so while you might not like it, MS has right to remove them. If you have problem with it, then complain to the game makers, to release a patch for those games.

How many DRM enabled games that are not being supplied with fixes do you currently play regularly? After that tell us the size of your entire game collection.

I have several that I currently play that use DRM. The original Baldur's Gate discs (non-Steam), the original GTA III discs (non-Steam), Arcanum, Star Trek Away Team, One Must Fall Battlegrounds, Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (on disc), Gears of War, MLB2k11, Mirror's Edge (CD version).

The entirety of my collection is ~30 games. Several of them (the HL2 series, Wasteland 2, Stasis) are available via Steam so that's not an issue for them but I don't game a lot. Most of the games I play are games that I purchased, in a store, on disc, a long time ago. The CDs still work just fine so I've not felt the need to spend that money all over again just to get them via Steam.

Just saw this. I can't believe this (or maybe I can).:rolleyes:

My OS won't let me run malware-ridden applications by default! This is awful! How dare they!

If you want to run driver-level software on your computer that compromises the security of your data, you can override Microsoft's protections. The average Joe doesn't need or want malware installed on their system and Microsoft is doing exactly what they should be doing to protect their users who are not as savvy as the crowd that posts here.

-1 for DRM in the first place. Remember the good days when just a CD check was needed and you could make a 1-1 copy and put your master away or better yet just use a no-CD patch?

DRM takes away the joy of gaming when you have to jump through hoops just to get what you purchased to work and not dick up your computer.

Securom was bad but could be worked around, starforce was the bastard that caused problems.

Those DRM's are technically a malware, opening up huge security holes, so while you might not like it, MS has right to remove them. If you have problem with it, then complain to the game makers, to release a patch for those games.

But But But.. it is MS's fault!!

Put the blame people where it should be, on the game makers / DRM makers.

Then why did Microsoft allow it on to our PCs in the first place? You telling me it took them over ten years to figure out they are a security risk? Hell no, they knew all along but allowed it anyway cos money. Microsoft loooooovesss the smell of money.

"Put the blame people where it should be, on the game makers / DRM makers."

News flash: This DRM was also used in some Microsoft games and Microsoft also controls what can be allowed to have ring0 access on their OS. They are very much to blame for this.

"The average Joe doesn't need or want malware installed on their system and Microsoft is doing exactly what they should be doing to protect their users who are not as savvy as the crowd that posts here. "

Then WTF didn't they do that ten years ago??? Victim blaming just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Then WTF didn't they do that ten years ago??? Victim blaming just doesn't work for me.

Because Microsoft had completely different management and priorities then.

And "victim blaming?" Do you even know what that means? The only victims here are the companies who made these DRM packages, many of which are now defunct. The user isn't a victim if the PC is protecting them from malicious software. They can turn it off if they'd rather accept the risks and play their game by searching for 30 seconds and finding instructions.

"The only victims here are the companies who made these DRM packages"

The people who made the DRM are the victims but the poor bastards, like me, that bought the games with the DRM are not victims? How about replacement copies of the games without DRM and then I won't feel so ripped off? No, that won't ever happen so I am going to bitch about it every chance I get and make people aware that these game companies scammed us because they couldn't stand the idea of a few pirates getting the game for free.

"The only victims here are the companies who made these DRM packages"

The people who made the DRM are the victims but the poor bastards, like me, that bought the games with the DRM are not victims? How about replacement copies of the games without DRM and then I won't feel so ripped off? No, that won't ever happen so I am going to bitch about it every chance I get and make people aware that these game companies scammed us because they couldn't stand the idea of a few pirates getting the game for free.

So why not just testsign and enjoy your games just like you were doing before? If you're here posting on [H] you have the requisite technical knowledge to follow some instructions and get your games working again. If you don't care about the security of your PC and would rather just play games instead, that's your choice to make.

^^ because that would be easier than raging on MS cause again this is apparently ALL MS fault..

You want to rage, go rage and contact the game makers for new game copies to be done, or as CEpeep noted, disable this feature and go about your merry day..

Because Microsoft had completely different management and priorities then.

And "victim blaming?" Do you even know what that means? The only victims here are the companies who made these DRM packages, many of which are now defunct. The user isn't a victim if the PC is protecting them from malicious software. They can turn it off if they'd rather accept the risks and play their game by searching for 30 seconds and finding instructions.

Eeeek wrong! The user is very much a victim if he/she can't play the game they spent their hard earned cash to pay for. Most users don't know about nocd / nodrm patches to begin with even if we bypass the security issue completely.

Anyone who is concerned about security will not touch Windows on anything mission critical in the first place.

Anyone who is concerned about security will not touch Windows on anything mission critical in the first place.

Exactly. Most Windows home users are completely ignorant about system security, which is why this is a good move for Microsoft to take. A tech-savvy user can choose to override and force the insecure driver to install. For a regular person, system security is far more important than one single game or application. Being able to play your old-ass copy of Baldur's Gate is not worth your machine joining a bonnet or your identity getting stolen.

Microsoft never should have allowed this form of DRM to work on their OS to begin with, but hindsight is 20/20. They're doing the right thing for the average user at this juncture. Anyone thinking the user is a "victim" because GTA III no longer runs has obviously never been an actual victim of the identity or information theft his move helps prevent.

So why not just testsign and enjoy your games just like you were doing before?

Because I want both the security and the games I paid for.

"GTA III"

This isn't just GTAIII and a few other games as they are making it out to be. That is propaganda. It is literally hundreds of games, many AAA games too.

Last edited:

"GTA III"

This isn't just GTAIII and a few other games as they are making it out to be. That is propaganda. It is literally hundreds of games, many AAA games too.

To be fair this problem has been there long before Win10. I remember having to Google patches for my kids games already when we migrated to Win7 as the copy protection failed to understand that there can be an OS in the future that's not yet existing when they made the protection. Idiots.

"GTA III"

No CD, No DVD patch, things I have been using for a long time now. Of course, you seem to enjoy shuffling discs to play games. :p Whatever, this is the way it is and it is not going to change, deal with it or whine about it, your choice. Personally, the No DVD patch for Crysis works great now but it did not with the securom installed.

To be fair this problem has been there long before Win10. I remember having to Google patches for my kids games already when we migrated to Win7 as the copy protection failed to understand that there can be an OS in the future that's not yet existing when they made the protection. Idiots.

Yea, I've had that issue too, game does not support your OS. Fucking idiots.

@ManofGod

But cracks are illegal. That is reverse engineering. You can go to jail for five years for running a crack. They are also a possible security risk due it some of them containing virus/trojan/worm/malware.

Last edited:
But cracks are illegal. That is reverse engineering. You can go to jail for five years for running a crack. They are also a possible security risk due it some of them containing virus/trojan/worm/malware.

So you won't use a no-CD patch because it might contain malware, but you want Microsoft to let you use DRM that is known to be malware?

No, I want official patches to remove the DRM requirement from the games I paid for. It's only right.

No, I want official patches to remove the DRM requirement from the games I paid for. It's only right.

Which ones are those?

Hey, wait a minute, aren't you the guy that always turns out to not actually have or care to play any of those games?

Yea, I've had that issue too, game does not support your OS. Fucking idiots.

@ManofGod

Not concerned about the so called "illegal" part for a game I purchased. However, I am also not concerned about the trojan, viruses and malware because I know how to protect myself. (Not one of those folks who consider no protection good protection.)

I haven't installed the September updates yet but was getting ready to do it today when I heard about this...is there a list of games that use Securom or Safedisc DRM?...I still have plenty of disc based games (Far Cry, BioShock 1, Deus Ex etc)...looks like KB3086255 will be added to my ever growing list of Windows 7 updates not to install and keep Hidden (first it was that Windows 10 nag screen one then the telemetry updates and now this)

Then why did Microsoft allow it on to our PCs in the first place? You telling me it took them over ten years to figure out they are a security risk? Hell no, they knew all along but allowed it anyway cos money. Microsoft loooooovesss the smell of money.

"Put the blame people where it should be, on the game makers / DRM makers."

News flash: This DRM was also used in some Microsoft games and Microsoft also controls what can be allowed to have ring0 access on their OS. They are very much to blame for this.

"The average Joe doesn't need or want malware installed on their system and Microsoft is doing exactly what they should be doing to protect their users who are not as savvy as the crowd that posts here. "

So you're like 13, right?

Not concerned about the so called "illegal" part for a game I purchased. However, I am also not concerned about the trojan, viruses and malware because I know how to protect myself. (Not one of those folks who consider no protection good protection.)

I always treat any windows machine as if it's already infected. I don't store any personal information on them.

Back