Now we're getting somewhere

sl1982

Limp Gawd
So now that my new computer is up and running its folding 24/7 and so far i have to say im impressed. Im putting out 2700ppd compared to the piddly 200 on the old computer. Look out everyone! hehe well not really, but at least its more respectable now

Nice point jump. What are some specs of new/old boxen.

New Computer
Phenom 9750 @ 2.64 GHZ
Cheap jetway motherboard with integrated geforce 8200 igp Shaders overclocked to 1300 Mhz

Old computer
Celeron 2.8Ghz O/C to 3.3 GHz
ATI Radeon x700

Looking good!

2.png

I know what you mean. Everything that is in my house that can fold is folding. There's even times when i debate using my ps3 because i dont want to stop folding lol.

There's even times when i debate using my ps3 because i dont want to stop folding lol.

Only reason my kids have an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3 is because my oldest son figured out that you can fold on the PS3 and not the Xbox, and he knew damn good and well that his and his brothers gaming time would be seriously limited if they went with a PS3.....:)

It's hard to stop once you start.... it really is..

Beers and tamales man, and Fold On!!!

Well it seems my rig just hard locked. Unfortunately i have to go to work so i have to wait to see whats going on with that. Damn thing better still work or im gunna cry.

Well i just rebooted the computer and it seems to be fine. Started up folding again and within 10 mins it froze. Anyone have any idea of what i should look at first? Would it be the igp or the cpu? Im kinda new to all this.

If its a new computer I would ....................
First download and burn to a disk Memtest86+.
Let it run around 3 loops, just to check your memory's error free.
The download and run Prime95 or Orthos.
Fire up as meny copies as needed to load the CPU to 100%.
This will stress your CPU and again should run error free of 2-24 hours.
Once the hardware ie checked out error free, then its time to start thinking it could be a software problem.

Luck ............. :D

Hopefully I will go from 150 ppd to 10,000 ppd with my system upgrade during Christmas. That should help a little bit.

No kidding. I need a discrete GPU badly. An extra 4000ppd would do just nice

I would love to, but i need to buy a hard drive first. The boxen is my blu-ray media server and those things eat up space like nobody's business.

Lovin the new rig but some things are confusing me. I was running 2 smp clients and 1 gpu client on my box and after a day or so it would freeze. Now I am only running 1 smp client and its rock solid. I dont get it, isnt 100% cpu usage the same irregardless of what is running on it?

Could it have been from north bridge voltage being to low or northbridge temp getting to high?

Well i dunno. This cheap board (Jetway) doesnt seem to like temperature monitoring. Nvidia system tools pegs the MCP at 43 degrees C which i dont think is bad. As for voltages on it i have no clue as i dont think i can adjust it in the bios and i cant find the voltage for it.

Try downloading hardware monitor and see if it tells you temps and voltages.
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
I agree that is not very high for a northbridge temp. 50c+ is what I consider to be beginning to get hot, and 60c is hot. Although some boards start having problems as low as 47c.
I have noticed that depending if you are adding additional GPU and/or SMP work to the system I have had to add volts to northbridge and accasionally the proc itself when they had been stable previous to the extra work load being added.
Good luck.

Hardware monitor says the gpu/mcp is running at 43c. Phenom is running at 53C. It doesnt show me any voltages at all.

Grr this is pissing me off. Thing only shuts down when im not around so i have no idea whats doing it. Watched the damn thing for hours last night and it crapped out 15 mins after i went to bed. :(

I don't think it's a temperature problem but probably a insufficient voltage. Try to bump voltage up a notch or two and see if this stop the crash.

Hard to say at this point which one is the culprit. IMHO, try the CPU voltage first and if it doesn't work, look at the IGP.

Ok. I find it weird that i would have to up the voltage with such a mild overclock (120mhz) but ill give it a go

If you upped the FSB, look at the IGP but I do know that Phenoms often overclock like crap, especially on crappy motherboards so what I gave as advice is just common sense. I don't pretend to have experience with Phenoms so that's the best I can give...

Just to let you now i wasnt trying to be condescending. I do appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me :)

Back