Now that HD 8XXX cards are months away, will ATI Skip 7990?

And just when I thought you couldn't say anything more stupid than your last post you go and top it. Add a disclaimer to the next AMD release: Will perform as it should in about 11 months. Thanks for the money suckers.

OP, skip the next AMD release for at least 10 months. Buy it way cheaper and don't finance AMD's driver team. They're still pretty busy trying to fix the Enduro line.

Erm, Now I know you are just trolling. You can't really be that stupid can you? Please show me where you countered anything in what I said? Point out anything that I said which was wrong?

You get a card and do some benchmarks on release day drivers, then do the same benchmarks with drivers released a year later. They will be much improved.

By your logic, I use that term loosely because it's clear you have none, There should be no performance improvements ever made with graphic card drivers and the performance on release day should be as good as it gets?

And I notice you consistently ignore the fact that I am running on 680GTX. So your efforts to insult the card inside my computer are pretty lame. Oh and thanks for the advice, I am putting that sticker on the 680GTX now, the one that says "in about a year performance will be where it should be" I think you might be right, Nvidia are just after releasing a driver update that closes the gap on the 7970, maybe they might have clawed it all back by march next year.

OP, skip the next AMD release for at least 10 months. Buy it way cheaper and don't finance AMD's driver team. They're still pretty busy trying to fix the Enduro line.

Ha! tell that to all the people who bought the first fermi card. All they did was finance the release of Nvidias new Fermi line up less than 8 months later!!

LOL at this.

Enduro isn't great at the moment but Optimus was the buggiest pile of crap for over a year. And besides the article is out of date the 12.11 beta driver has brought a lot enduro fixes.

Should I believe you or editors at Anandtech? I think I'll take Anandtech.

Ha! tell that to all the people who bought the first fermi card. All they did was finance the release of Nvidias new Fermi line up less than 8 months later!!

I would have said the same thing back then as I would tell the OP now: skip it.

You guys need to lay off the personal attacks

debate the facts all you want, but dont make it personal

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

I picked up my EVGA 680 SC for $440 brand new. I sold my 7970 for the same price after paying $500 for it. This was months ago mind you. Much happier with the 680 as well.

Besides that, I will most likely jump on the 8xxx right away. This 680 is my first NV card in over 8 years and while its great, I have no preference I just like new things :D If the 8xxx card proves to be a winner, Ill stick with it. I had wayyyyy too many driver issues with my 7970s (yes thats right, I tried more than 1 sadly).

Wait, AMD unlocks more performance in their new architecture and you try to negatively spin it as performance they should have had at launch. Nvidia is late to the game and tries to respond WITH THE EXACT SAME THING and not a peep.

Nobody is late to the game. Both Nvidia and AMD's cards will perform better a year after initial launch. I can understand your reaction, because unless this is KennyB's first generation of GFX cards, he should know that driver improvements down the road happens in each generation from the dawn of GFX cards. He knows it I'm sure and you know it. Move on. :p

But don't put a negative spin on Nvidia also releasing better performance in drivers. Its all good for us users. :)

Should I believe you or editors at Anandtech? I think I'll take Anandtech.

What? Seriously what? What has believing me got to do with anything? The article is out of date, the 12.11 drivers have been released.

Here ya go

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6395/amds-1211-mobility-catalyst-enduro-hotfix-mostly-included

And even this is out of date, as the 12.11's are on beta 4 now.

Or are you not believing me when I say optimus was the buggiest pile of crap? You think it was perfect all the time? You should read the anandtech article you posted. Here's a sentence I plucked from the bit of the article you quoted-

"Enduro feels like it’s where NVIDIA was with Optimus about two years (2.5 years) back, and that continues to be the case"

Oh gosh, looks like optimus was full of bugs too. And It's still not right. Selectable graphic cards has been a pain in the ass for both companies and is buggy as hell.

But don't put a negative spin on Nvidia also releasing better performance in drivers. Its all good for us users. :)

I don't think K6 was putting a negative spin on nvidia releasing drivers that improved performance. He was highlighting the fact that it's ridiculous to accuse one company of unlocking more performace after release date when the other company does the exact same thing. Nevermind the fact that both companies have been doing this for generations of graphics cards.

And, it is all good for users. Because now that AMD cards are cheaper Nvidia have to respond. More competition. Just like AMD had to respond when Nvidia's cards were cheaper. And I think most users would love more performance in their cards for free.

Nobody is late to the game.

Actually If you compared their GK104 release with their GF110 (the former being one of Nvidia's best releases ever), they were 3 months late.

Northern Islands - Release date: Release date October 22, 2010
500 Series - Release date: November 8, 2010
Southern Islands - Release date: December 22, 2011
600 Series - Release date March 22nd, 2012

I absolutely loved my 580 but compared to the 680, suffice to say, when a product is 3 months late to the market, costs 50 dollars more, and isn't much of an improvement over another product within the same category (high-end), I'm pretty sure the choice is clear.

tl;dr: We are lucky to have choices as consumers.

Nobody is late to the game. Both Nvidia and AMD's cards will perform better a year after initial launch. I can understand your reaction, because unless this is KennyB's first generation of GFX cards, he should know that driver improvements down the road happens in each generation from the dawn of GFX cards. He knows it I'm sure and you know it. Move on. :p

I'm not putting a negative spin on it, just highlighting the hypocrisy using equal scrutiny. Nvidia released a performance boosting driver within days of AMD's released beta driver. So was nvidia holding out on its customers? If not, did they just throw something together to not look worse in comparison (I mean, Riddick? Really?). Nvidia fanboys always tout how nvidia's drivers are superior, doesn't seem like nvidia agrees if they feel that kind of pressure from AMD. Either way it doesn't matter, everyone got higher performance.

The bottom line is that competition lights a fire under both companies and ends up making the consumer, us, the winners. However, the biased nonsense posted by fanboys gets old. No one can be happy about technology or advancements by "the other team" without some mini-crusaders jumping in to try to heal their broken egos.

I don't think K6 was putting a negative spin on nvidia releasing drivers that improved performance. He was highlighting the fact that it's ridiculous to accuse one company of unlocking more performace after release date when the other company does the exact same thing. Nevermind the fact that both companies have been doing this for generations of graphics cards.

Perhaps not. I was referring to the "late to the game" remark which sounded like a negative spin. There is no timeframe when drivers are to be improved.

As we all know, you said it, I said it, K6 said it, and I'm sure KennyB knows it too, drivers always improve after launch. I've yet to see a single generation that is "all it can be" at launch.

Seems people are stuck in a loop and now are inventing arguments. Kinda pointless going on about that point which has no point. :)

I'm not putting a negative spin on it, just highlighting the hypocrisy using equal scrutiny. Nvidia released a performance boosting driver within days of AMD's released beta driver. So was nvidia holding out on its customers? If not, did they just throw something together to not look worse in comparison (I mean, Riddick? Really?). Nvidia fanboys always tout how nvidia's drivers are superior, doesn't seem like nvidia agrees if they feel that kind of pressure from AMD. Either way it doesn't matter, everyone got higher performance.

The bottom line is that competition lights a fire under both companies and ends up making the consumer, us, the winners. However, the biased nonsense posted by fanboys gets old. No one can be happy about technology or advancements by "the other team" without some mini-crusaders jumping in to try to heal their broken egos.

It sounded like it, with the "late to the game" remark. Both companies works on improving the drivers and if one releases something, its not uncommon the other release something close to the same timeframe. Thats the beauty of competition :D

Otherwise, I agree. This bickering and pissing contest that goes on from people treating the GFX companies like its their home football team, is getting real old. Its not constructive for us consumers either.

I enjoy both AMD and Nvidia cards.

I was accusing AMD of incompetence. If you want to call Optimus crap that must surely make Enduro a lesser form of excrement.

The 7970 is over rated . My GTX 680 is idling at 25C and never goes above 60C and is quiet . Gigabyte windforce.
I owned a 7970 flashed with the GE bios and it was like a hair dryer in my case . Talk about space heater too.

I will take 5-8 FPS less in metro and other games . Doesnt the 7970 have inconsistent minimum FPS? The fact of the matter is NvDia "The Way it was Meant to be Played" Holds true to the fact that game developers use Nvdia. I suggest everyone take a look at the minimum FPS . Also physics is worth the extra dough

The 7970 is over rated . My GTX 680 is idling at 25C and never goes above 60C and is quiet . Gigabyte windforce.
I owned a 7970 flashed with the GE bios and it was like a hair dryer in my case . Talk about space heater too.

I will take 5-8 FPS less in metro and other games . Doesnt the 7970 have inconsistent minimum FPS? The fact of the matter is NvDia "The Way it was Meant to be Played" Holds true to the fact that game developers use Nvdia. I suggest everyone take a look at the minimum FPS . Also physics is worth the extra dough

The reason I got the best single core card in the world aka 7970 is due to that even 7950 holds 680 sli behind it even at min fps in most games. Unless you play at 1920x1080 resolutions then any card in the midrange will do.

1f6pv.png

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23090318&postcount=209

I am playing on 2560x1600 and as far as I can tell, Nvidia cards are the best for this resolution for now. I am just waiting for the new Nvidias to come out so I can buy the 6XX cheap.

I am playing on 2560x1600 and as far as I can tell, Nvidia cards are the best for this resolution for now. I am just waiting for the new Nvidias to come out so I can buy the 6XX cheap.
I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion. My own experience has had my 7970 being superior to the two GTX 680's I've tried @ 2560x1600. [H] pretty much concluded the same thing: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti_gc_oc_vs_670_hd_7950/2 , and that was before the 12.11 drivers which gave an even further boost to AMD cards: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/ .

Not in my experience (I own a HD 7970 and a GTX 680), the HD 7970 varies from around 10% slower up to 15% faster depending on the game. On average though it is around 5% faster at 2560x1600, so nothing to get excited about as far as performance. These numbers are taken from a stock HD 7970 and a stock GTX 680.

When I overclock both the HD 7970 ends up faster by around 10% overall, so again nothing special in terms of performance increase. Where the HD 7970 wins is the fact that it is overall (marginally) faster and can be found considerably cheaper. Here in the UK the GTX 680 is around £50-60 more expensive when comparing custom cooled HD 7970 (non GHz) vs stock GTX 680. Add in the excellent games bundle from AMD for HD 7970s and purchasing a new GTX 680 for overall slower performance and more money is not a smart move unless you are brand loyal.

Last edited:
Back