Now or Later? Thinkpad R61

woo.Designs

Limp Gawd
I am debating on whether I should buy my laptop for college now or later. I really don't need it for another 3 or 4 months but I found a great deal.

I can get a Thinkpad R61 with the following specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8300 (2.4GHz 800MHz 3MBL2)1
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic12
15.4" WXGA,BT
Intel GMA X3100, GM965, 1394, S-Video, PC Card/PCIe
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
100 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced5
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG10
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )60
8932: 1Year Express Warranty7

For a total of $692.49 shipped.

Or I can wait 4 months and see if there are any new technologies for the same price if not cheaper.

What would you do?

the new models will be announced next month, and released in the summer.

that being said, that looks like a pretty good price on an R61. I'd spring for the DVD burner though, and I'd prefer the Thinkpad G over the intel G.

You might want to try the following link to see if you can drop it any more, if you haven't already.

www.lenovo.com/cpp

I thought about it, and other than the LED displays, it didn't give me anything I really cared about. A move to DDR3, same Penryns as are in the new T61s, WiMax I'm not using, GPS which would be nice, but I already have.

I'd go ahead and get it now...the next platform I want to wait for is Nehalem.

Alright, GPS and DDR3 would indeed be nice but i'm sure that the new models will be substantially more expensive than the current price i'd be paying.

Do LED displays provide a better battery life?

When does Nehalem come out?

Now!

I was tempted to buy one of those myself, but ended up getting an Acer Aspire 4720z (less than $550).

Waiting wouldn't do any good - just my opinion. $ is going down. New models may not be as "good" as current ones becuase they want to keep the prices steady (only way to do it is to use "cheap" stuff in systems). I've noticed this in many new laptop models.

Back