Now Is The Time To Switch Back To Firefox

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy says that now is the time to switch back to Firefox. How many of you guys are still using Firefox? How many of you aren't using Firefox but plan to switch?

The main reason for switching to Firefox is that, overall, it's better than Chrome. But there are other reasons. The most important is that Firefox is the only major browser that is written to serve users and the open web. Other leading browsers may sometimes do that, but their primary function is to serve the needs of giant corporations -- Apple, Google and Microsoft -- none of which has any interest in preserving your privacy. Usually the reverse, in fact.

I'd rather support a Browser by a group that supports free speach.
(let the games begin)

Chrome has been given me a headache lately. Annoying bugs that a company like Google should solve immediately took weeks to go away.
A shame that sometimes I have to use IE or Firefox to log into certain websites because Chrome takes forever to load them or doesn't properly handle the script.

as much as I should be against it, Google's integration across their applications provides a hell of a lot of convenience. Synchronization between Chrome on my different devices, plus all the other apps would require Firefox to pull one hell of a rabbit out of their hat to make me switch.

Have always used Firefox, tried Chrome, didn't like the feel. Don't care about syncing with other devices, so that's not a problem for me.

Crome is just faster hands down. Even on my Corei7 with SSD, I can tell the loading performance between chrome/firefox. Tabs respond more quickly, the program can be closed and re-opened more quickly, etc. It's simply a more efficient browser.

I've used Firefox before chrome existed and I still use it, I've seen no reason to switch

I'd rather support a Browser by a group that supports free speach.
(let the games begin)

Look kids, someone that doesn't know what the first amendment means

1366535943420.jpg

Firefox on Windows 7 (for me) has incredible problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Chrome doesn't. So when I'm streaming netflix/hulu/etc., I use Chrome. Otherwise, most of my browsing is in FF. But there are times when FF will refuse to properly load a site, or load it improperly (even after restarting the program), where Chrome will load it perfectly.

I honestly don't notice these "speed" difference between the browsers in Windows. On android, ironically, for me Firefox is way faster at everything. It's as if Chrome on Android (I'm on 4.4) is always a step behind, doing some background process instead of loading a page, or letting me enter a text-entry form. Maybe it's just me.

Havent stopped using FF anyway, great browser, more customisable and safer with all the addons.

Firefox on Windows 7 (for me) has incredible problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Chrome doesn't. So when I'm streaming netflix/hulu/etc., I use Chrome. Otherwise, most of my browsing is in FF. But there are times when FF will refuse to properly load a site, or load it improperly (even after restarting the program), where Chrome will load it perfectly.

I honestly don't notice these "speed" difference between the browsers in Windows. On android, ironically, for me Firefox is way faster at everything. It's as if Chrome on Android (I'm on 4.4) is always a step behind, doing some background process instead of loading a page, or letting me enter a text-entry form. Maybe it's just me.

Might be something weird with your ROM on your device

On 4.3 and 4.4 CM and Omni-base ROMs with better kernels Firefox just lags to snot. Chrome flies as do most other browsers.

I use Firefox primarily on all of my computers. I have been using it for a long time. I have not had any serious issues with loading times or pages/scripts failing to load properly. I will admit that Chrome feels faster, but I've become so comfortable using Firefox that I do not feel a need to switch. Also, a split second or two of extra loading time is not enough for me to complain about.

I've been using Firefox this whole time. The only place I don't use it is on my mobile device (Chrome there). Nothing touches Firefox as far as add-on support; sure it might not be as snappy as Chrome but it does everything. Well, almost everything. For some reason, despite all my efforts with both Firefox and Chrome, there are certain pop ups on some sites (legitimate sites, eg buying or registering for something) where Firefox and Chrome refuse to load some elements that are crucial. Very small percentage (maybe 1%<) but in those cases I need to fire up good ol' Internet Explorer.

I have an ever growing distaste for IE. Firefox let me down in the past. Chrome worked right out of the gate for me and has never failed me yet. So Chrome browser for me it is.

"The main reason for switching to Firefox is that, overall, it's better than Chrome."

It's nonsense one-liners like this in opening statements that make me want to stay the fuck away. Better at what? How is it better? Why is it better? What exactly is it that makes it better? Where's the emprical proof that it's better?

Look kids, someone that doesn't know what the first amendment means

1366535943420.jpg

With freedom comes responsibility. With actions come consequences. Apparently, when action = reaction produces booing and hissing, it's an offense against "freedom" and "promoting bullying" </s>.

I've been using Firefox since its early Betas when it was called Phoenix. I've tried Chrome and wasn't disappointed in it, but at the time (shortly after its release) the lack of add-ons compared to Firefox made me abandon it after a few weeks. I've stuck with Firefox ever since and outside of the occasional need to use IE on some websites I have never had a reason to switch. Firefox with a few add-ons does everything I want it to and I haven't seen a need to try anything else.

The most important is that Firefox is the only major browser that is written to serve [strike="asd"]users and the open web.[/s] LGBT and their propaganda only.
Fixed. And no, now is the time to switch FROM firefox and use IE11 if you want simplicity or Chrome if you are extension freak.

Fixed. And no, now is the time to switch FROM firefox and use IE11 if you want simplicity or Chrome if you are extension freak.

Those selfish LGBT activists and their constant propaganda to be treated equally. Just go away m i rite?

I've been loyal to Firefox since the beginning (I think some 0.9x versions), except recently (few years) for gmail and google calendar, maybe maps.
The reason why I do use Chrome is because I can't be logged in to just gmail, calendar and maps, but logged-out of search and youtube (I don't have g+, so I can't comment on youtube). But Chrome only knows about google services password. All other information is "anonymous" to google (ok...I know they log my IP, but they can't make a direct connection to my account as they can't be sure only I use that IP).

Haven't used FF in years. Can only imagine how bloated it is now. Chrome is still software from an advertising company. IE just works for me, its already installed and auto updated and for my simple browser needs. I don't care if Chrome can load my page 1-3 sec faster, usually multitasking anyways.

Those selfish LGBT activists and their constant propaganda to be treated equally. Just go away m i rite?

A marriage is between a man and a woman. Not because of anything but the fact that kids can only come the intercourse between a man and a woman.

I'm fine with LGBT having all the rights associated to marriage, just call it a civil union, gayrriage, whatever. But no, for some (not really unknown) reason they want to change what is a marriage. It's not about equal rights at all.

I only use firefox if I am testing a different brower for html code, but I do use thunderbird which I think is great :)

Didn't the guy already resign, so why are people still in a tiff. Or did FF post a huge anti LBGT rant on their home page? I'm a huge supporter of equal rights for all but asking for a company to pretty much shut down to make amends for hiring someone that has the same beliefs as half our country is kind of silly.

back on topic, I use IE. I used FF along time ago but didn't a reason for it anymore since IE has gotten a lot better. I don't use any google products so I just stick with IE

Didn't the guy already resign, so why are people still in a tiff. Or did FF post a huge anti LBGT rant on their home page? I'm a huge supporter of equal rights for all but asking for a company to pretty much shut down to make amends for hiring someone that has the same beliefs as half our country is kind of silly.

back on topic, I use IE. I used FF along time ago but didn't a reason for it anymore since IE has gotten a lot better. I don't use any google products so I just stick with IE

Heh IE....When will IE enter the 21st century and implement proper window/tab session management?

Tolerance for LGB is at an all time high yet they respond by acting like brown-shirted fascists. Want to know why LGB have been discriminated against for thousands of years? Because some (not all) are totally unlikable assholes. FYI I left the T off on purpose. A person who has male DNA but believes they are a woman and wants to mutilate themselves is a deeply disturbed individual and people who enable those poor sick people are sick themselves.

While I always liked the flexibility and the ability to customize it, I hate the way it started handling updates. Plus, seemingly every time they updated, Flash did too.
While Chrome is kind of obnoxious with it's "just do it OUR way" mentality, I've gotten used to it. Plus, it's light and quick.

Might be something weird with your ROM on your device

On 4.3 and 4.4 CM and Omni-base ROMs with better kernels Firefox just lags to snot. Chrome flies as do most other browsers.

Ran LG's 'stock' 4.1 on my previous phone, and 'stock' 4.4 on my current lg g2--same thing on both with Chrome (can't eliminate a fuck-up on LG's end, but it's hard to believe that on both different phones, different OS's, the same behavior of Chrome being slow and FF being faster is due to the OS). Chrome is also slow on my N7 (2012 version) running cyannogenmod 4.4, and FF is faster. Maybe I'm cursed.

I did discover, however, that the keyboard being used has a significant impact on browser responsiveness. Swype+Dragon (paid version) yields massive lag on most of my devices, whereas the android AOSP keyboard has little-to-no lag when opening up in a text field. My phone's stock keyboard also no lag. Thumb keyboard is less lag than swype, but all lag more in Chrome than FF for me. :( Le sigh...

well if some guy on zdnet says now is the time I will be all over it, maybe take a dumb ass photo of myself with a pipe and to prove I'm into camera's i'll cover one eye with a dollar store camera.

I use IE11 and chrome depending on if I have to use work related pages. mozilla just never worked right for me and I have been trying to use it since 0.93. It just always seems to have issues.

Your are all being ignorant. The official acronym is LGBTQQIAAP not LGBT. Is it 2014?

I'd rather support a Browser by a group that supports free speech.

You are aware that FireFox's biggest donor is Google to the tune of at least a few millions a year. If they turn off the money FireFox goes away so they are Google's bitch.

With regards to Brandon Eich, all you lefties realize Hillary and Bill Clinton supported the same exact political causes in the 90s? The only difference is they never apologized for it.

On a side not, all of the Russia hates gays stuff was propaganda by the US for them having Snowden and us wanting to stir up shit to cut Europe off from Ukraine (Russian) Natural Gas so we can sell them ours. The US has much stiffer laws on Gays than Russians. Just find a translation of the actual russian law if you don't believe me.

Back